Kebab Westerns (Turkish Western Films)

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:120, topic:419”]Why not buy them? He goes to some effort to dub 'em. Of course, there’s bound to be a few trade copies ::slight_smile: floating off to some of our more skint members, but I put my hand in my pocket initially. I would advise, if you can afford - buy and support. The more bought - the more released… maybe. In the case of AC Kurtlar, I got the original legit release (of course, not really much use to me as it comes with subbed dvdr - which is what I really wanted), but Silence - lookit my lovely Yilmaz Guney embroidered somethingorother that I got as a free gift. Now, that’s priceless! I bet yer jealous now! :stuck_out_tongue: ;D

[/quote]

Maybe I’ll have a look into one of those Turkish supermarkets for one of those flicks…

Is he talking about the same guy as you bought those films from Rev? In that case I guess it will be a good buy. I just knew a cheap way to get these films.

I presume so - I found him through ebay, but can’t be sure.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:120, topic:419”]Why not buy them? He goes to some effort to dub 'em. Of course, there’s bound to be a few trade copies ::slight_smile: floating off to some of our more skint members, but I put my hand in my pocket initially. I would advise, if you can afford - buy and support. The more bought - the more released… maybe. In the case of AC Kurtlar, I got the original legit release (of course, not really much use to me as it comes with subbed dvdr - which is what I really wanted), but Silence - lookit my lovely Yilmaz Guney embroidered somethingorother that I got as a free gift. Now, that’s priceless! I bet yer jealous now! :stuck_out_tongue: ;D

[/quote]
mr.silence and mr.dante
i think i am buying them from the same guy you got yours thru reverend, i followed your link that you posted on this tread and i will be buying the film “AC KURTLAR” on the sellers ebay descripition is says i get a dvdr,a vcd and a lobby card.
is that true? i also want one of those ''Yilmaz Guney embroidered somethingorother" do i ask for it or did you pay extra?
the seller seems nice and this will be the first time ordering from outside the u.s.a or canada so i hope it goes well

Not seen the entire film, but since it has English subs it’s certainly worth buying. The scene when Yilmaz Güney enters is among the coolest scenes I have seen! But, before you buy: it’s not a Western. It’s set in Anatolia.

[quote=“django live, post:124, topic:419”]… says i get a dvdr,a vcd and a lobby card.
is that true? i also want one of those ‘‘Yilmaz Guney embroidered somethingorother" do i ask for it or did you pay extra?
the seller seems nice and this will be the first time ordering from outside the u.s.a or canada so i hope it goes well[/quote]
That’s true, altho’ the lobby card is nothing special, more a little actor/promo thing, if the one I got is anything to go by. He must’ve run out of the embroidered things I suppose, cos it came with it as “a free gift”. And, yes, he does seem nice, and I’m sure it’ll go well. You could always ask if he’s got any of them embroidered somethingorothers left, I’m sure he’d send you one if he had. Good luck. It’s a good film. The others aren’t as good quality tho’.

HEY REV
I JUST ORDERED ‘‘CEKO’’ FROM THE SAME GUY THAT YOU ORDERED FROM. IT COMES WITH 3 LOBBY CARDS MADE FROM THE THE ORIGANAL NEGATIVE AND I GET A DVDR WITH SUBS. I HOPE ALL GOES WELL AND I GET IT SOON

got my copy of geko i really liked it.

Anybody have Ölmek Var Dönmek Yok?

Would like to buy it off you.

Ha ha - I’m not surprised. Nice ‘blouse’ at 1:29! More acrobatics than a Parolini; a naked woman beating her rapist with a stick; and a showdown with a woman only armed with a rifle and some panties. This sounds very ‘deviant’ … Bill? :wink:
Fantastic!

Last Turkish western I saw was Olumsuzler, cheaply made version of Death Rides a Horse. Actually quite boring film compared to some other kebab westerns I’ve seen, just lots of riding scenes with recycled Morricone playing.

Looks like this guy spent 10 years in a cell of a sheriff’s office. And look that brick wall :smiley:

You know, I even watched fansubbed version. Joy!

This one seemed even cheaper than usual :smiley: …enjoyed in a Kebab type way though.

It’s not. Most are in black and white.

Last one I watched was Daglarin Oglu, which is all over the place. And in color.

Will watch Yahşi Batı next, the dvd´r of it I bought in Istanbul.

I’m not so sure if most turkish westerns are shot in b/w. I just think most versions that are circulating among people are b/w copies. For example, I used to have Dag Kurdu in black and white but later got colour version from Reverend.

Maybe you all know already but there are the 2 Zagor movies on DVD

Zagor: Kara bela (Zagor: The black danger)
Zagor karakorsanin hanzineleri (Zagor: The gold of black pirate)

They have been released in DVD by Horizon International in Turkey (with italian and english subtitles) as well as by Onar Films in Greece (with english subtitles only)

Zagor is a popular italian pre-western comic book…actually the adventures are set around 1830, but it’s just mere reference as most of the stories deal with gunfighters, indians, blue soldiers…

There is a 3rd Zagor movie, simply called “Zagor” but it has nothing to do with the comic book…it’s a simple, plain western

Another italian comic book made onto a movie is Kaptain Swing (in Italy: Il Comandante Mark). It has been announced by Onar Movies but the guy behind the label sufferend some physical problems.

There are other titles shot after comic books in Turkey…a second Kaptain Swing adventure (actually shot before, in 1964 according to an interview with…I forgot who…it’s on an Onar Movie DVD),
“Red Kit Daltonlara karsi” is actually “Lucky Luke against the Daltons”, from the same french comic book
Also “Simdi silah konusacak/Pecos Bill” should be based more on the italian comic book of the 50’s than on the eponymous american carachter

I think the “Dizionario of spaghetti western” should list every kebab western ever released, though of some titles there isn’t more than a short cast info.

In any case only the 2 “original” Zagor are the only 2 western ever available on DVD in Turkey until now

Just so as no-one goes around looking for releases that never were: Onar never released the two films. It was planned but never came about as Bill Barounis of Onar Films got sick and died before they came about :frowning:

I have this info from Jack J which didn’t want you guys looking in vain. So thanks amigo.

Aç Kurtlar is available on DVD with english subtitles almost everywhere in Turkey…for example here at Tulumba

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=VI401592AG991

But it’s not exactly a western, it’s an anatolian western shot with lots of SW style

There’s also a new DVD edition of Captain Swing (aka Korkusuz Kaptan Swing aka Il Comandate Mark) with english and italian subtitles. It’s the same master, artowork and edition as the old Onar Film but you can find it for a more accessibleprice in Turkey.

Other VCD and DVD (western or anatolian western) available are:

Ağıt (Gala Film DVD, english subtitles)
Dag kurdu/Daglarin oglu/Son of the mountain (Fanatik Video)
Hudutlarin kanunu/Law borders (Gala Film)
Ince Cumali (Burç Müzik Prodüksiyon VCD)
Maskeli Şeytan (Fanatik Video VCD)
Yedi belalilar (Gala Film VCD)
Zapata (Fanatik Video VCD)

I can do a lot better than this.

There’s a website called https://www.hepsiburada.com/ (in Turkish only) and they have many of the Yılmaz Güney films for mega, mega cheap. We’re talking around £3.50-£4 per DVD after shipping from Turkey! Most of them are subtitled in English and in French and German I think as well. They have a very nice looking Yılmaz Güney DVD set on there, containing five of his films for about £12-£13 delivered.

I have an enormous “to-watch” list but if I didn’t have them, I’d be getting on there and ordering pronto.

Something else that springs to mind - my Turkish is non-existent but I gather that extra identity checks are required for non-Turkish credit cards (i.e. you need to fax/phone details over) but overall it should be well worth it.

Thanks a lot for the info, and welcome to the forum :)!