I Want Him Dead / Lo voglio morto (Paolo Bianchini, 1968)

Personally I donā€™t find that the film lacks cohesion as Phil says in his interesting Review. And to my way of thinking the pre-credits sequence is not ā€œan inexplicable episode that has no obvious connection with anything else in the filmā€ and is easily explained with the $ 4,000 in Confederate currency that Clayton brings with him to buy land.

As regards the ending, which I really like and which - as evidenced by the Italian version of Lida Luā€™s song* - implies some sort of godsend, it should be noted that, aside from the idea of Russian roulette that not everyone can find fully convincing, it remains perfectly plausible: there was no everyone against each other here; rather, everyone against the traitor played by Francisco Nieto.

*[url]Nico Fidenco ft. Lida Lu -- Clayton - YouTube

Good SW, that will always be one of my favorites. My rating: 4/5.

I need to watch this again. I remember it being below average but people here seem to like it quite a lot. Soundtrack is awesome in any case.

Maybe not below average, but very average to me, I remember it being a huge disappointment. It didnā€™t lack cohesion, it was pretty coherent, but it lacked something to come up to my expectations.

Obviously not a masterpiece, but for me itā€™s a good-solid spaghetti that is more to my taste. And IMO itā€™s one of Craig Hillā€™s best.

My favourite Craig Hill western by far.

A quite solid revenge spaghetti western if you ask me. To me Craig Hill didnā€™t feel like a very charismatic gunman in the leading role and I liked him more for example in Tonino Valeriiā€™s Taste for Killing (1968). Also Paolo Bianchiniā€™s directing style felt quite average at times even though there are a couple of nice and stylish scenes too, for instance I really liked the opening title shots for this movie, excellent use of different colors there!

The part that I liked most about this movie was Nico Fidencoā€™s soundtrack and especially that beautiful theme track sang by Lida Lu.[url]Nico Fidenco ft. Lida Lu -- Clayton - YouTube That theme song alone is a good example why I love this genre so much: even though the movie itself follows a quite basic revenge plot, things like great scenery and a stylish soundtrack help the movie a lot in the end. It seems like I got to watch more SWs with Fidencoā€™s soundtrack because I also enjoyed his work on Taste of Killing and In a Coltā€™s Shadow.

All in all I Want Him Dead feels like a quite basic SW to me, but a good soundtrack and nice scenery lift this movie above the average. 3 stars out of 5.

1 Like

I have this soundtrack on CD. My favorite parts are the opening Clayton Ballad, and the Italian vocal version of ā€œClaytonā€.

One of my favourite scores of the composer.

Anyone got English subs for this? I would love to watch it as Craig Hill is one of my favourite spaghetti actors, but the Koch disc isnā€™t English friendly.

I watched this last night. It has become an instant favourite!

There is a widescreen edition released by a Brazilian company. It has English audio. There is one copy left on amazon.com, which is why itā€™s quite expensive. If you donā€™t mind bootlegs, the Cult Action DVD is very good quality (even though it is fullscreen) and has English audio. :slight_smile:

I remember seeing this on some multipacks, is the print the same as the Brazilian one?

Not sure. All I can say is that the Brazilian print looks remastered - Koch Media-like quality. The Cult Action bootleg is also very good picture quality despite the fullscreen presentation. I have both.

If someone can help me find out how to post screen shots, Iā€™ll be able to show you. All I can say is that if you are prepared to pay the price, you wonā€™t be disappointed with the Brazilian DVD but thereā€™s only one copy up for grabs. If you canā€™t get that one, the Cult Action bootleg is the second best English audio version that I know of.

Rutledal told me how, so Iā€™ll be able to post some for you guys. You can also check out the screen shots for Cult Actionā€™s El Puro DVD on my posts if anyone is interested.

5-Movie Bloodiest Westerns from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment, but I have no idea of the quality.

Iā€™d rather get subs and buy the Koch disc because then at least I know what Iā€™m getting. The last Brazilian disc I got was very disappointing.

[quote=ā€œRutledal, post:76, topic:967ā€]5-Movie Bloodiest Westerns from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment, but I have no idea of the quality.

Iā€™d rather get subs and buy the Koch disc because then at least I know what Iā€™m getting. The last Brazilian disc I got was very disappointing.[/quote]

I can promise you that the Brazilian disc is as good as any Koch Media release Iā€™ve come across. Iā€™ll get some screenshots for you.

I canā€™t get it anyway, seller wonā€™t ship to Europe.

Iā€™m British and I ordered it from rareimports on amazon.com. Theyā€™ll ship to the UK but not the continent? Strange indeed! Iā€™m getting the screen shots from both my Brazilian DVD and the Cult Action DVD for you to see anyway.

The Brazilian DVD is widescreen: