I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

Well said! But still I think if you want the poster and slipcase, you must not wait to long. If you look at the Great Silence release, the limited edition (also 3000) is hard to get.

I see it as terror tactics marketing - yes, the artwork looks nice, and a slipcase adds a certain, je ne sais quoi … but much as I love the genre, I find this heightened buy frenzy a real turn off.

It’s about seeing and enjoying a film not drooling over the packaging - I also love nice artwork, (I collect vintage posters and lobby cards) but it can get really out of hand when fans are buying multiple copies of essentially the same thing over and over because of a different sleeve designs :thinking:

1 Like

I try not to have too many high expectations of a release, but dang it I just love it when a film like Corri Uomo Corri gets the slipcover and booklet treatment. When I first started buying DVDs and Blu Rays myself, it was quantity over quality without a care in the world for how something looked, but as I got older and started appreciating the boutique companies, I realized there was so much stuff I wanted to see and stuff I was willing to take a blind buy gamble on that going for quantity no longer made sense, and that it was better to pick and choose for the little extra money for what I really wanted or was really curious about. If a film I really love or really want to see gets that extra dose of eye candy, it’s a double win for me as not only have I gotten something I want, I can proudly show off the class A treatment it received on the shelf. This is just me of course.

3 Likes

I understand the appeal … I just don’t dig the marketing strategies of the distributors - limited edition, steel case, slip cover, booklet etc etc etc

2 Likes

It shows that fear is still the greatest marketing strategy.
“DON’T MISS OUT ON THIS O-CARD. You will suck at life, and the whole world will think less of you”

3 Likes

This is the first blu ray release of Run Man Run, and it seems that they did a great job with the art work, new extra’s, new subtitles, restoration etc. I’m willing to pay for that.
I have more trouble with the expensive western all’arrabbiata releases. That’s more based on marketing and selling in my opinion. Also very clever that they made it a series.

2 Likes

The same thing has gone on for a long time … the most memorable for me was the James Bond series on DVD (pre - Daniel Craig) … were the spines of the DVD set make up the 007 logo … so even if you don’t like certain films in the series, you’ll feel compelled to buy them all … that’s clever … and despicable! LOL :wink:

2 Likes

I agree with that. The fact that they numbered the all’arrabbiata releases and made it into a series to collect is definitely a see-through marketing ploy to shift the not so desirable ones of the run.

1 Like

Well you just want value for money. If you don’t want the slipcase or o-card, wait for the first batch to sell out and buy the rest. No big deal. For the companies, offering extra packaging etc is a way to charge a premium price, which helps with the profit margin, and for fans it’s a way to own something special. But nobody forces you to buy it :smiley:

1 Like

Fully unterstand your points and you are right, nobody is forced to buy it. But wouldn’t it be easy for Koch to number their all’arrabbiata releases only on one site neither on both? So everyone would have the choice to buy the whole collection or just single releases without missing a number on the shelf.
So far Da uomo a uomo has been the first one previously released on Blu Ray. For me it was fine, just had an old DVD and used all’arrabbiata as an upgrade. But I could fully understand everyone not willing to pay another 30 bucks for a Blu Ray to Blu Ray update. And I suppose there will be other re-releases, as they already mentioned.
By the way, I’m waiting for the next release at the moment. I don’t see paying 4 euros each time for shipping or buying anything else to get around this fee. The Collection is one silly cent away from free shipping.

Who cares about the numbers? Those square CD-style boxes will look ugly on the shelf no matter what :grimacing:

1 Like

I just bought this rubbish

And now it’s going to the charity shop.

4 Likes

I’d be chuffed to pieces if my local charity shops sold obscure SWs, even if they were shite films ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well if you’re anywhere near Leeds Bridge retail park in Yorkshire, pop into the Cancer Research Shop, and there’s at least 30 dumped Spaghetti Westerns. Some are dumped because they are so bad you wouldn’t watch them a second time, some are dumped because I’ve seen them so many times that I could never watch them again, and some are dumped because who needs 8 different copies of Django?

1 Like

Alas, I’m not - hope they go to a someone who appreciates them.

1 Like

Funny thing is I found your post hilarious, but in all sincerity I think you’re absolutely right.

I still haven’t even unboxed my Eureka copies of The Great Silence or Revolver :rofl:

I agree this is a bit different though…it’s a film I’ve been waiting to see a Blu release of for ages. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

2 Likes

Finally managed to pre-order this one as well :+1:

5 Likes

… then, in a Mission Impossible fashion, when your pre-order arrives and you don’t open it, your purchase will self-destruct. within 24 hours.

I have done these things too, though I do NOT have an unboxing ceremony or make a video of such foolishness! … but I have many discs bought years ago that I haven’t watched, and that is idiotic ? DVD films I bought at full price that can now be picked up in 2nd hand and charity shops for pennies, literally. So I’m ranting on about this because I’m a sucker also, a slave to the 2 disc collectors edition with re-pro poster and an essay by Johnny Thesis … blah, blah, blah.

3 Likes

You don’t partake in the latest sport which is taking the world by storm? I can’t be friends with anyone who doesn’t roll cameras and start shadow boxing before opening a package.

3 Likes

Just got an old Dutch dvd release of Aces High… Haven’t seen it for years… Since the VHS days