I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

Really not a Keoma sequel though is it?

I think this movie, which I believe is Jonathan of the Bears, was given the Django treatment (slapping the Django name on a movie in an attempt to piggyback off the original’s success) in that it was released in some areas under the Keoma 2 title due to the success of Keoma. At least that is my understanding.

Jonathan degli orsi - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

1 Like

Lanky Gringo is totally correct, the film has nothing to do with Keoma, and was marketed as a sequel in Germany to help sales. Franco Nero does have a similar look, but he plays a completely different character.

Thanks for the help with the movie info Buddy.

1 Like

What little in this life I know, or think I know, I’m happy to pass along…whether I am right or not. :laughing:

1 Like

No, it is not really a Keoma sequel, despite the title. Calling it Keoma 2 is a sales pitch, as everyone states.
So maybe I should have said "Hard to believe that director Enzo G Castellari, who created something as stylish and inventive as Keoma, would end up turning out something as abysmal as this.

Speaking of Nero, this arrived today. I know this isn’t supposed to be that great but it is Fulci and Nero. On top of that, I got a really good deal on it and I do collect every one of them I can find.

Ritorno di Zanna Bianca, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Take a hard ride - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

I picked this up at a yard sale for 50 cents while I was on vacation.

4 Likes

Rio Conchos is pretty good.

1 Like

Take a Hard Ride

As much as I love Fred Williamson, I’d say that $0.25 is a fair price for that one.

2 Likes

That’s a shame too because with such a great cast and Margheriti directing, it should be a classic. Williamson’s character is the best part of the whole movie though in my opinion.

1 Like

Funnily enough, I actually enjoyed Jim Brown’s character Pike a bit more myself for this one, but Williamson is obviously a joy as well. It really is a shame a movie with such a strong cast turned out so mediocre.

1 Like

Added a 12th first time watch feature to my Spagvember Fest list. The prices on most of these have been great

There is a Spanish Blu Ray, but that edition is full screen only, and this German edition keeps the original 2:35:1 aspect ratio.

UPDATE: The site I purchased this from, the OFDb, E-Mailed me today and told me that there are no more copies of this title left, and refunded me my money into store credit for a future purchase.

4 Likes

I know this probably has rubbish versions, but seeing as I’m just starting out on the SW journey I thought I’d nab something with quantity over quality! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

That is the best way to begin. Lots of exposure to the genre with a reasonably small investment.

When I was getting into World Cinema, I made the mistake of doing a ‘cannonball’ into the films and it took some time before I found the right balance, and when I got back into SWs I took it slow and easy. Quantity of over quality isn’t a bad thing when you’re starting out, your move is the right one.

I do recommend when you’ve reached the balance you’re good with to invest in a universal aka all region Blu Ray player as the Germans have some of the better editions of the non-mainstream SWs.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I’m based in the UK so I should be okay with German discs as I believe they are all same Region (do let me know if I’ve got that wrong!).

I’ve also invested in the Vengance Trails and Santana boxsets from Arrow so I’m hoping to build up enough to be able to take part in Spagvember.

3 Likes

The arrow boxsets are awesome so good decision

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that, mate! It’s how more-or-less everybody gets started. My 20-film clumsily-titled The Best of Spaghetti Westerns in the Tradition of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly cheapo set by Timeless Media remains one of the best spag purchases I’ve ever made.

In any event, I’ve always kind-of liked the poor, multi-ripped, multi-taped VHS-standard quality of spags. I mean I’ll always prefer a cleaned up remaster, obviously, but there’s something very cult, very spag, something almost conspiratorial about those rough copies.

7 Likes

True dat

4 Likes

You’re 100% on the money there! The entirety of Europe is Region B for Blu Ray, and I think a good chunk are Region 2 with DVD, but I think you have to double check some areas, like Australia being Region 4 DVD.

I’m from the USA, so the Region Free (All Region) Blu Ray player was a must for me, and definitely one of the best investments I ever made, for all kinds of films, including SWs. :smiley:

1 Like