I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

“Zwei wilde Companeros - Limitiert auf 666 Stück - Platinum Cult Edition - Uncut & HD Remastered" has excellent picture quality on the BluRay disc. Worries may arise from the freeze frame opening sequence, where some of the freeze shots have scratches and dirt, because this probably happened when the shots were first duped in the lab.
There is English audio, but it occasionally drops into Spanish for sequences that were cut out of the shorter English version. There are no English subtitles to cover these sequences.
In the US the shorter film became “Turn the Other Cheek”, with some silly animated titles involving bottoms, and a song sung by Lynn Redgrave, some of which can be spotted in the US Trailer in the extras.
If I was making a shorter version of the film, I wouldn’t have made the same excision choices they did. The whole Marilu Tolo family thing is totally unnecessary. It slows the film down, and in a film that is an action romp, the deaths of two innocent bystanders is not a clever idea. They probably left it in because you get a glimpse of Tolo’s naked left mammary. If that’s your bag, watch “Bluebeard”. At least she’s not wearing sticking plaster over her nipples, like she does in Roy Colt and Winchester Jack.
The sequence I would have kept is the one after the mine, where Wallach does his big El Salvador speech, followed by the funny bit where they leave Lynn Redgrave in a Federale prison. That keeps her in the picture, rather than dumping her for a trip down memory lane with Wallach’s family.
Nero is doing his foreigner in Mexico routine, this time a Russian Prince, from the same stable as “Yod the Swede”, and “Sergei Kowalski, Polish emigre to the New World”; whilst Wallach reruns Calvera who became Tuco who became Cacopolous, and by golly this is what we want to see again and again. The introduction of Lynn Redgrave adds extra spice and who cannot enjoy a movie whose final scene involves Ms Redgrave yelling “You fucking bastards” at our escaping heroes? In an Irish accent, too.

2 Likes

Just made my first purchase on the OFDb website, very good service

A big thanks to Soren, aka AvatarDK, for bringing the site to my attention.

1 Like

They look, great.

1 Like

Finally picked up these German discs I’ve been wanting for awhile.

3 Likes

I just after 3 weeks of slow shipping received Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) , luckily enough the last day before returning to the promised land of SWs locations (and not so promised “mascarillas” - but not when running).
The DVD doesn’t state English audio on the cover but I hope the specifications on the Amazon add were more correct (I haven’t checked yet).
Baldi’s Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin and The Forgotten Pistolero are really good, and maybe I will appreciate Hate Thy Neighbor more on DVD than when I watched it recently on Youtube (6/10 ?)

Hate Thy Neighbor

2 Likes

I’m letting go of some German discs (due to replacement by BluRay), for those interested do PM me, I need to re-check which titles they are all in all

Just got this for 17.98 Euros, so about 30 Dollars US from the OFDb

Mainly got this for Gentleman Killer (Gentleman Jo…Uccidi) and Cowards Don’t Pray (I Vigliachhi non Pregano), but I’m willing to give the others a look too.

4 Likes

Don’t trust amazon but do trust the SWDB which clearly states that the English dub is present :slight_smile:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Odia_il_prossimo_tuo/DVD

Well, in this case I was lucky that Amazon/advertiser was correct (but I often check SWDB as well),and that the DVD cover wasn’t fully informative. Anyhow it is a rather good SW good for a (weak) 7/10 rating after 2 watchings IMO !

1 Like

I recently got A Sky Full of Stars for a Roof from Amazon Germany. Any other good SWs that are available in English on Amazon Germany? I already have Man of the East and Jesse and Lester.

1 Like

However, the SWDb is only as good as its contributors, so I hereby encourage everyone to keep reporting corrections to info in the database :slight_smile:

Just bought A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More German Double Feature on eBay. Heard this was one of the better releases of these films
116503_large

3 Likes

I just bought and received a rather cheap DVD Fistful Of Dollars from the recently opened Amazon Sweden. But it was not Sweden’s and Europe’s region 2 as could have been expected when there was no specification and with sales assumably to a high extent aimed for Sweden.

And after email contact with the seller Amazon EU S.a.r.L. where I suggested a similar cheap DVD to be sent as compensation they rapidly say no since they claim I have to return the lousy product worth nothing to me but trouble ! Of course I won’t go through such meaningless work.
I had expected the new Swedish branch to be more customer friendly at least at this early stage.

Maybe I, living in Sweden mostly, now should skip Amazon Sweden and stick to Amazon UK, Ebay et al where I have ordered maybe 60-70 DVDs/Blurays the last couple of years without ever this type of region-related inconvenience.
Once a package disappeared with rapid refund, and once recently a completely other product was sent to me after which I got another rapid refund and threw the received crap in the wastebasket.

Just tired of i***ts here and there (including immunology/economy ignorant lockdown fanatics in governments) :slight_smile:

Just bought the Finnish Blu-ray of God Forgives I Don’t on eBay for $21. It has English audio. I have a Dutch Blu-ray box set of Hill/Spencer films that are in English and it’s pretty good. Here’s hoping this one is just as good quality-wise.

Great. when you’ve had a deeper look at the disc, can you let us know if the Info here is correct and complete or if there is anything wrong or missing: https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dio_perdona…_Io_no!/BluRay

1 Like

I thought for sure the Euro to Dollar ratio would go down a little so the price wouldn’t be too high, but as I suspect this’ll sell out quick, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered this long awaited restored classic

I chose cover B, love the retro poster look to it…

As a side note, for anybody here who’s from the US like me, shipping from Germany is taking 25 to 30 days thanks to the COVID epidemic, so be prepared to wait.

1 Like

This one arrived today. And it’s a spagvember! How nice.

3 Likes

Wonder why it’s ‘FIST’, rather than ‘FISTS’ … that suggests he fights with only one hand :thinking:

1 Like

never heard of the one handed boxer? :wink:

One hand is a fighting fist, the other hand is a paci-fist.

(F#ck me, that was awful. Sorry. :grinning:)

3 Likes