I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

I prefer the Italian language as well. Since the films were initially going to be seen by Italian audiences first and were usually done with Italian casts and crews, it would make sense it should be in Italian. Having seen so many Italian language films already, I can view most of the German releases without subtitles. English dubs anymore sound so fake, but I can understand why people like them.

I tend to watch in English, but some actors never sound quite right. I’ve not yet seen a film in which Terence Hill sounds like I imagine he should, for example. I have a pile of them still to watch, however.

I always prefer the English dub for spaghettis, even though the English dub often provides the weakest performances. Firstly, even the “original” Italian audio is almost always still a dubbed mix so it’s never perfect whichever option you choose, but the overriding reason is that these movies are set almost exclusively in the American West. The cast and crew (and audience, of course) may be a predominantly Italian, pan-European blend but the characters they’re playing will largely be Americans, speaking English (or of course Mexicans speaking English to Americans; I’d be happy if the Mexican characters were speaking Spanish to one another but switching between languages is rarely if ever a thing in dub mixes). English is the more authentic choice for the characters within the world they’re inhabiting.

It’s like Hollywood sword ‘n’ sandal epics from the fifties/sixties. British/American A-listers playing foreign roles like Cleopatra or Ben Hur or Spartacus in English with flawless UK/US accents; or worse, those war films verr ze Germans vood all talk to vun anudder in ze English, ja, but viz ze non-specific, stereotypical German accent and mit ze occasional “ja”, “nein” or “sieg heil” thrown in for ze good measure, ja? If they’re Germans, talking to one another, why aren’t they talking in German?? I appreciate that audiences back then might not have wanted to keep switching between English and then non-English subtitled dialogue but doing it the way they did it always leaves me working hard to stay in the moment with the movie. It’s jarring enough even with relative masterpieces like this year’s otherwise-astonishing Sky/HBO mini-series Chernobyl (a predominantly British cast speaking in English even though every character is a Soviet Ukrainian or Russian), but it’s much worse if the movie’s not absolutely compelling to begin with (which of course is often the case with the lower-level spaghettis).

It goes without saying of course that if I’m watching a film set in a non-English-speaking country populated by characters native to that country then I want to watch that movie in its native language, with subtitles.

2 Likes

This is further complicated when you have Spanish or Italian actors playing Scots or Irish characters, for instance - what kind of accents do they use then!

In the English dubs we get American voice actors attempting English, Irish and Scottish accents, which is often laughable. So there’s no perfect solution, plus a lot of suspension of disbelief is required … but isn’t that all part of the fun!?

‘Up the MacGregors’! … which would roughly translate as ‘Fuck the MacGregors!’ LOL :wink:

2 Likes

Well I always prefer the Italian dub for Italian movies wherever may be situated. I also watch the German Edgar Wallace movies with the German dub although they are situated in Britain. Oh well. Each to his own.

2 Likes

Funnily enough I’m the same when watching the German Edgar Wallace films.and the Gerry Cotton thrillers. Their very German identity is part of their appeal.

1 Like

My 4th and 5th purchase this weekend !
A double feature. I am not 100 % sure of why I was inspired to watch A Hole In The Forehead on Youtube some months ago but probably a forum thread here, and regarding Tequila Joe I definitely haven’t read a forum thread yet, but one external review that rated it higher than the other SW.

Tequila%20Joe%2C%20A%20Hole%20Between%20The%20Eyes

3 Likes

2 new posters

8 Likes

Nice

1 Like

Every time I see Anthony Ghidra’s name I can’t help but think of Japanese monster movies!

The English dub is only available on a Franco Cleef bootleg. I’ve got the dvd. It’s an okay picture and the English dub’s sound quality is pretty muffled but it’s better than They Call Him Cemetery’s quality lol

Y’all should buy this

I had so far avoided The Great Silence during my first 1.5 year as a true SW aficionado, for 3 main reasons :

1. I instinctively don’t like when the anihero is “crippled or handicapped” in any substantial way, but OK in this case not being able to speak relieves any problem of my hearing his dialogue :slight_smile:

2. Furthermore I have found Sergio Corbucchio’s movies to be a bit too “clean” or colourless to be optimal for me, but the high ratings of this SW hopefully should contradict that.

3. Last and least I don’t think a spaghetti western should be shot in a snowy landscape, but maybe I will change my mind I hope after having watched The Great Silence.

If I am lucky the just now ordered DVD will arrive within only 2 days, during the SpagvemberFiesta!

.The%20Great%20Silince

4 Likes

Another VHS enthusiast in the making? :smile:

Very picky! :grin:

Hehe who knows? Some titles here and there won’t hurt :thinking: I got these from Tom

Is Born to Kill on VHS or Beta?

Beta, unfortunatly…

2 more tapes…

4 Likes