Horror Films

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:59, topic:405”]It is sad that “Hound of Baskerville” was the only Sherlock Holmes Movie made by the Hammer Studios. Peter Cushing was a great Sherlock Holmes.

Watched 2 other Hammer Movies the last week: Curse of the werewolf (1961) and The Evil of Frankenstein (1964). Both I found really enjoyable.[/quote]

EXCELLENT Post Paco !!
I agree about PETER CUSHING being as GREAT As Basil Rathbone playing Holmes :slight_smile:
CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF 61 , a magnificent OLIVER REED with Lovely Yvonne Romain.
EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN 64 , another wonderful Hammer Films atmospheric Classic

:o[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:60, topic:405”]I completely agree ! Rathbone is my favorite Holmes ! Haven’t seen any Jeremy Brett stuff yet. Anyway I like the style of the old movies from the '30s and '40s !!![/quote]

And the 50s/60s/70s are my FAVOURITE for music and films. I appreciate the 40s too.
What I disliked about Brett was that he has no screen presence, or charm, hes stiffish.
Also the episodes of the 1980s seemed to be poorly photographed, bad direction :’(
Basil Rathbone had an imposing screen presence, was sophisticated, great actor.

I love horror movies and most of my dvd collection is horror.

I love everything from the silent era (Nosferatu, The Golem, Phantom of the Opera), the golden era (Frankenstein, White Zombie, The Invisible Man, The Mummy’s Hand), Brit-Horror Hammer, Amicus, Tigon, Tyburn (Horror of Dracula, Revenge of Frankenstein, Creeping Flesh, Asylum, City of the Dead, Tales from the Crypt, Legend of the Werewolf, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell), giallo (Tenebre, Blood and Black Lace), euro-horror of the the 70’s and 80’s (Demons, Bay of Blood, The Church), George Romero (Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, The Crazies), John Carpenter (Escape from NY, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, Christine) the Hellraiser series, slashers (Friday the 13th, The Intruder, Silent Night Deadly Night, Christmas Evil, Terror Train), and Japanese Kaiju (anything with Rodan, Mothra, and of course Godzilla).

My favorite actors are Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Doug Bradley, John Saxon, Kurt Russell

My favorite actresses are Caroline Munro, Ashley Laurence, Jaime Lee Curtis

[quote=“FrankTalby, post:62, topic:405”]I love horror movies and most of my dvd collection is horror.

I love everything from the silent era (Nosferatu, The Golem, Phantom of the Opera), the golden era (Frankenstein, White Zombie, The Invisible Man, The Mummy’s Hand), Brit-Horror Hammer, Amicus, Tigon, Tyburn (Horror of Dracula, Revenge of Frankenstein, Creeping Flesh, Asylum, City of the Dead, Tales from the Crypt, Legend of the Werewolf, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell), giallo (Tenebre, Blood and Black Lace), euro-horror of the the 70’s and 80’s (Demons, Bay of Blood, The Church), George Romero (Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, The Crazies), John Carpenter (Escape from NY, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, Christine) the Hellraiser series, slashers (Friday the 13th, The Intruder, Silent Night Deadly Night, Christmas Evil, Terror Train), and Japanese Kaiju (anything with Rodan, Mothra, and of course Godzilla).

My favorite actors are Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Doug Bradley, John Saxon, Kurt Russell

My favorite actresses are Caroline Munro, Ashley Laurence, Jaime Lee Curtis[/quote]

Wonderful !! Excellent !! CUSHING / LEE / HAMMER Great Choices !!
We seem to agree and share similar Connoisseur Good Taste with the Horror Genre.
I am also a MEGA FAN of :
PETER CUSHING, CHRISTOPHER LEE, JOHN SAXON, CAROLINE MUNRO HAMMER
Amicus, Tigon, Tyburn are for me almost as good as HAMMER Films 1960s/1970s.
BEAST MUST DIE 1974 Peter Cushing, Calvin Lockhart That is a masterpiece for me.
GIALLOS 1960s/1970s I LOVE as much as I do SWS 1960s/1970s, Martino, Argento etc
Most of your other choices are superb, glad we have so much in common.

You will excuse the slightly "naughty " discussion over the Four Of Apocalypse :wink: !!

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:63, topic:405”]Wonderful !! Excellent !! CUSHING / LEE / HAMMER Great Choices !!
We seem to agree and share similar Connoisseur Good Taste with the Horror Genre.
I am also a MEGA FAN of :
PETER CUSHING, CHRISTOPHER LEE, JOHN SAXON, CAROLINE MUNRO HAMMER
Amicus, Tigon, Tyburn are for me almost as good as HAMMER Films 1960s/1970s.
BEAST MUST DIE 1974 Peter Cushing, Calvin Lockhart That is a masterpiece for me.
GIALLOS 1960s/1970s I LOVE as much as I do SWS 1960s/1970s, Martino, Argento etc
Most of your other choices are superb, glad we have so much in common.

You will excuse the slightly "naughty " discussion over the Four Of Apocalypse :wink: !![/quote]
It’s cool. I love so many movies there’s bound to be one or two I don’t like. It is refreshing to see more fans of what I call good horror (stuff that does not involve the title: Halloween, Friday 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street). I do like stuff like that but Hammer, Amicus, and Mario Bava are my favorites.

I finally watched “The Beast Must Die” a couple days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Calvin Lockhart was over-the-top but suave, assured and just plain awesome. Peter Cushing was his usual, wonderful, informative, slightly-menacing self. Michael Gambon was convincing in this early role. Tom Chadbon was goofy but just suspicious enough to be effective. Ciaran Madden was pretty but not extremely noteworthy. Marlene Clark was sexy and wonderful as Lockhart’s wife. Charles Gray was his usual elevated and somewhat disconnected self (he’s great.) And, finally, Anton Diffring was a nice surprise since he’s usually an out-and-out villain in these kind of movies.
All in all, a very entertaining Amicus horror/mystery. A very pleasant surprise.

Nice to have you back by the way Flynn.

Thanks! Nice to BE back! You know how it is: you get involved in other things, your interest wains a little but it’s always there. There was a period where I was heavily into the Godzilla films and I felt that I simply MUST buy all of them and discuss them online. That’s part of what I’ve been doing while away…

[quote=“flynnparadox, post:65, topic:405”]I finally watched “The Beast Must Die” a couple days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Calvin Lockhart was over-the-top but suave, assured and just plain awesome. Peter Cushing was his usual, wonderful, informative, slightly-menacing self. Michael Gambon was convincing in this early role. Tom Chadbon was goofy but just suspicious enough to be effective. Ciaran Madden was pretty but not extremely noteworthy. Marlene Clark was sexy and wonderful as Lockhart’s wife. Charles Gray was his usual elevated and somewhat disconnected self (he’s great.) And, finally, Anton Diffring was a nice surprise since he’s usually an out-and-out villain in these kind of movies.
All in all, a very entertaining Amicus horror/mystery. A very pleasant surprise.[/quote]

Admirably Good Review Flynn You have described this CULT Great Film Accurately :slight_smile:
Peter Cushing along with Stewart Granger my absolute Favourite UK Superstars and
you highlighted Calvin Lockhart who was electric/magnetic in the BEAST MUST DIE 74.
Anton Diffring another superb German Actor in Horror Films also caught the eye along
with the ladies Marlene Clark and Ciaran Madden. :o

BEAST MUST DIE 1974 POSTER

PS. Indeed welcome back to the Forum and I also can sit and enjoy a Good Godzilla ;D

Have you gotten the new Godzilla dvds that Sony released? I love seeing them as originally intended. Hopefully we’ll get a great version of Rodan soon.

Yes, I have picked up those wonderful Classic Meida releases. Great stuff. I hear that Rodan and War of the Gargantuas should be released by them sometime this year. Let’s keep our fingers crossed…

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:68, topic:405”]Admirably Good Review Flynn You have described this CULT Great Film Accurately :slight_smile:
Peter Cushing along with Stewart Granger my absolute Favourite UK Superstars and
you highlighted Calvin Lockhart who was electric/magnetic in the BEAST MUST DIE 74.
Anton Diffring another superb German Actor in Horror Films also caught the eye along
with the ladies Marlene Clark and Ciaran Madden. :o

PS. Indeed welcome back to the Forum and I also can sit and enjoy a Good Godzilla ;D[/quote]

Thanks for the kinds words. Yeah, I love Amicus. A great company for horror films in the 60s and 70s…

Yeah I’ve read as well. Two are two of my favorites. WotG is killer.

Yeah, I haven’t seen WotG since it was on television when I was a wee lad…

I have a boot VHS. I have to dig it up and watch it again as I never see it on cable TV anymore.

Any love for an under rated classic?

EVIL DEAD is a Masterpiece. Who under rated it? :o

My favourite of the EVIL DEAD Movies is still No3: Army of Darkness :smiley:

My last horror flick was CANDYMAN. :wink:

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:75, topic:405”]Any love for an under rated classic?

[/quote]

I have to admit I fell asleep when I first saw it. Ahemm, yes.

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:76, topic:405”]EVIL DEAD is a Masterpiece. Who under rated it? :o

My favourite of the EVIL DEAD Movies is still No3: Army of Darkness :smiley:

My last horror flick was CANDYMAN. ;)[/quote]
While Evil Dead II (my fav of the trilogy) & Army Of Darkness get more cult mention, I feel, as a true Horror movie, Evil Dead doesn’t get mentioned hardly enough. With Raimi’s later work getting more attention, people tend to forget how good of a true Horror movie this was. But, hey, glad to see another ‘primitive screwhead’ listening up out there.

Weird, me & you Stanton never disagree on topics. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never?