His Name Was King / Lo chiamavano King (Giancarlo Romitelli, 1971)

As I remember, the Spanish sequences are lifted from another film, possibly ā€˜Vengeanceā€™, also with Richard Harrison.

Aha thanks, if that is the case the IMDb site could make a note of it to clarify. Those scenes I think lasted several minutes.

Itā€™s a while since I watched the movie, but the title sequence uses a clip of a rider going through the famous Pechina area, used in ā€˜Vengeanceā€™ aka *ā€˜Joko invoca dioā€¦ e muoriā€™ ā€¦ Harrison wears the same leather shirt, or similar style in both films.

I donā€™t know about the other scenes you mentioned in Northern Madrid. Itā€™s was a common practice to borrow footage from other films with Spanish locations, rather than just the bland Italian ā€˜Sand pitsā€™ seen in so many low budget flicks.

The stock footage is taken from Vengeance and Chapaquaā€™s Gold. Itā€™s pretty funny the way you can see Harrisonā€™s facial hair change. I still really like this one. Canā€™t fault it on the entertainment level.

1 Like

I watched His Name Was King probably for the third time (only) and it still feels very loose with not a too straight forward plot. The best thing I found is a nice musical theme by Bacalov played two times, including during the final duel.

That theme I recognized many months ago elsewhere in a trailer for The Treasure Hunt where this music also was used, but I couldnā€™t then remember where from but now I know.
But His Name Was King could anyhow only receive a 5/10, well below my Top 40.

Is this dvd any good? Itā€™s released by Alpha Video, and available on Amazon. Couldnā€™t find much info on it.

Most of those have VHS transfers. Youā€™d be better off getting the Wild East DVD if you want to own it.

1 Like

Just watched this - Amazon Prime have the 73m Pal version. Very little plot, lots of footage of Harrison on a horse and about 3m pointless footage of a bunch of Mexican bandits riding down a hill. I spotted that Harrison inexplicably switched from moustache to beard in some shots and had a poncho sometimes and also the film stock changing - I guess that is the Vengeance footage (ages since I saw that so needed help of this forum to name the film). Also that some of the music cues were from Django (also scored by Baclov). The subplot in which Kinskiā€™s deputy rapes the brotherā€™s widow and then Kinski kills him was very strange, nasty and pointless - you could have cut the deputy out altogether and missed nothing. Story structure seemed a mess with odd cut backs to scenes which had been cutaway from mid shot and a scene 40m in when Collins discovers the corpses of the soldiers killed pre-credits although we seem to be weeks later in time. Collins was a character whose motivations were hard to flummox. Big body count and lots of fights. Luciano Pigozzi often used the alias Alan Collins so an in-joke with his name here. Kinski is referred to as a sheriff but is wearing a badge that says ā€˜deputy marshalā€™ in final gunfight. The music was great so I donā€™t know why it needed borrowed cues. In short, a bit of a mess with presumably post production problems.

1 Like

His Name was King has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etcā€¦

3 Likes

New poll for His Name Was King, top of page under original post! :arrow_up:

1 Like

I just watched this one again.
If someone could update the main page: Lo chiamavano King

At least some of the ā€œfilming locationsā€ were set at:
Elios Film Studios
Pechina
Manzanares El Real

Thanks,

done, thanks amigo

Those Spanish locations are just footage lifted from other productions ā€¦ Iā€™d call this a filmed only in Italy movie :wink:

1 Like

I had a good time with His Name was King. I liked the theme song which it turns out had been used by Tarantino in Django Unchained. It was also refreshing to see Luciano Pigazzi (who played the hired killer posing as Fr. Brown in Sabata) in a major role, as Mr. Collins. I did a double-take when I saw one of the Mexican banditos (who was guarding Harrison) bore a striking resemblance to Frank Wolff, a la A Stranger in Town/For a Dollar in the Teeth. Did anyone else notice the resemblance? I didnā€™t think the movie broke any new conceptual ground for the genre. But, its overall execution made it stand out for me. I also like that the plot didnā€™t get too convoluted. For me, some genre entries get too complex regarding story lines. I had an unexpected laugh from the wall of fake books in Kinskiā€™s library. The fake books can be seen up close in the scene when he slaps around a rapist.

4 Likes

I dont think I have ever seen this or the informal sequelā€¦ to my shame. Should get BluRay treatments

Agreed :+1:

1 Like

I found this movie through the music used in ā€˜Django Unchainedā€™. I actually got into these films, because of how much I loved the Morricone tracks used in Kill Bill (both volumes), so I owe a lot to that guy. Anyway, itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve seen this one, but I remember it being disappointing as all hell. I love a lot of films that are slow, but this one is slooooooooooooow. Maybe I should give it a rewatch, but the memory of how boring it was has stuck with me for years.

2 Likes

One of the best things about rewatching Tarantinoā€™s film after watching so many Italian films is doing the Rick Dalton point every time you recognise a piece of music :rofl:

3 Likes

Definitely, lol. When Inglourious Bastards came out I had seen The Big Gundown, so that was a lot of fun. I recognized even more cues when I saw Django Unchained.

2 Likes