Have a Good Funeral, My Friend … Sartana Will Pay / Buon funerale amigos! … Paga Sartana (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1970)

I finally watched this last night and liked it quite a bit - but I’m a sucker for the gimmicks like the gun in the book. The print of this on the Sartana box is actually pretty good quality, especially compared to some of the other titles in there.

I don’t think I mentioned this but a couple years ago I played this at the boxing gym where I work. We have a TV in the gym where usually boxing matches or MMA fights are being played but occasionally I put on a movie that I like. I put this film on and the people working out where like WTF? I explained to them what the movie was and some people came up to take a look at the franco cleef dvd case sitting on the front desk. I got a little embarrassed though with the scenes with George Wang and the chinky music LOL and the final showdown between him and Sartana. Keep in mind that our gym is a mixed bag of clientele that you usually see at a fitness centre but with a higher percentage of serious athletes.

I also showed Sabata and Django. They liked the part with the Machine gun.

1 Like

Actually, I thought that “Have A Good Funeral My Friend… Sartana Will Pay” was the darkest of the series. Sure, it’s very pulpy, but then so are the other movies, and even if George Wang’s character, who is often cited as an example of the series getting sillier, is an unflattering stereotype à la Fu Manchu (though the Mexicans aren’t exactly treated better in most spaghetti), he remains a rather menacing villain and not some kind of joke. I also liked the calm and calculated banker Hoffman, the series’ most serious and well-mannered bad guy. And there is also an important female character who spices thing up with a bit of sexual tension while adding a more mature feel to the story (as she is not just eye candy -edit- heck, she seem to have some kind of character development).

Plus, it’s not like the first film was devoid of humour, Franco Pesce played a much more comical character in “If You Meet Sartana… Pray For Your Death” and he also had more screen time in it (therefore, more comedy from him). Also, let’s not forget that the third entry in the series has some pretty moody moments (the opening scenes, Sartana’s ghostly pursuit of Blackie, the confrontation with Hoffman, etc), hell I’d say that the overall tone was more serious. And what about the very dark and, at time, melancholic score from Nicolai? Finally, the Sartana character in the first movie had us wondering if he was human or not, but in the third movie it’s almost as if it’s accepted that he is some kind of angel of death, lending a mythical feel to the character and the movie.

A matter of perspective, I guess.

I can’t remember if I’ve seen this one or not. Guess it didn’t make an impression.

Surely you’d remember the evil stereotyped Chinese bad guy who constantly quotes Confucius, no?

There was also one in MASSACRE TIME, but he was not really evil.

And he was citing Confucius?

Yep, but he interpreted him in his own way.

Interesting.

Also, after re-watching a couple of scenes from the movie, I noticed that I might have been wrong about the “character development” thing. I thought that Abigail went from good to greedy during the course of the story (you know, since everybody in the movie is greedy maybe she was influenced by them), but she probably planned something all along. I’d have to re-watch the movie in it’s entirety to be sure.

Re-watch this one last weekend and despite some opinions I actually like it. Very easy to follow which is nice.
The blade cards, ninja style, are also a good touch. My review is here:

very poor ending…

I don’t think it has a better or worse ending than the other Sartana.

Best ending of the Sartana films for me.

Cannot remember the ending, must have viewed a long time ago :slight_smile: .

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:54, topic:1352”]Cannot remember the ending, must have viewed a long time ago :slight_smile: .[/quote]Me neither but Have a Good Funeral… has the best beginning in the series.

1 Like

Yes, that also

… and the best score

… and the best female role

… and …

Yes. Trivia: She lived in Portugal after WWII

my worst oficial sartana!

i loved the 3 sartana with garko but not this one, and the resasons:
1.this has low bodycount
2.sartana he was very slow with rifle
3. very stupid ending
4. very bad cast