Have a Good Funeral, My Friend … Sartana Will Pay / Buon funerale amigos! … Paga Sartana (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1970)

This is the first Sartana I ever saw and it made me into a fan.

My first was I Am Sartana, Your Angel Of Death.
Although this is my least favourite one, it made me a fan too…

My first Sartana movie was the George Hilton one.
Which probably has a lot to do with why I like it more than anybody else.
It is a weak entry when compared to the Garko movies but it’s still highly entertaining.

I don’t really count that one as a Sartana…

What is it then? A tressette?
In Germany they tried to pass it off as a Django movie I believe.

Yeah, the germans made another Django out of it.

For me it is closer to Carnimeo’s Hallelujah films then to his Sartana films.

I count it as a Sartana, just not an OFFICIAL Sartana.

Just like Terence Hill in Viva Django is a Django, but not THE Django.

In fact it really IS an official Sartana, for Carnimeo made it and called it a Sartana. But for me there is only one. The one and only…

p.s. I’m not talking about Giovanni Scarciofolo.

Are any of the Sartana sequels similar in tone to IF YOU MEET SARTANA…PRAY FOR YOUR DEATH? I was hoping to get the cheap Sartana Saga release and find out for myself, but it looks as if it has been canceled.

Similar in tone and style, but more light hearted, less dark.

I’m going to say “no” on this.
The first is an overly dark and mean spirited affair while the sequels get increasingly sillier and more light hearted as they go along.

Have a good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay comes close to the original. Here we have again the darker side of Sartana. And the film generally looks darker than Carnimeo’s other films.

Thank’s for the replies guys, i really like the dark, mean, almost other-worldly feel of the first and i’ve been curious about the sequels. Sounds like i will probably try HAVE A GOOD FUNERAL first if it’s the closest.

I’m sure I’ve talked about this one somewhere else in the forum in the past, but I just watched it again and it really is my favorite Sartana film. It’s fast, fun, cleverly written, wonderfully acted and awesomely directed. Garko is in top form, the score (as already mentioned in this thread) is great and the whole Chinese gambling hall touch is a good one. The strange thing is that of all the Sartana films, this one had the least going for it when I first watched it. By that I mean the copy I had of it was a cropped, muddy print while all the other Sartana films were pretty good looking widescreen copies. And even cropped, this one stood out for me. I mean, I love all the Garko/Sartana films (Hell, I even like the Hilton one, too) but this is still my favorite…

I finally got around to watching this one. Despite having the Geneon full-screen VHS rip sitting on the shelf for a few years, i managed to hold out 'til i got a copy of SARTANA SAGA so i could watch ANGEL OF DEATH first (i'm a stickler for watching things in order whenever possible). This is yet another good time, with fireworks, guns popping up out of books and impossibly thrown playing cards.
The Carnimeo's obviously do not have the same feel as Parolini's original. But as light-hearted SW's go, these have got to be some of the best. For me HAVE A GOOD FUNERAL was just a bit behind ANGEL OF DEATH. And i've still got LIGHT THE FUSE to look forward to.

Fun Factor - 7.5/10

[quote=“Spaghetti Monkey, post:35, topic:1352”] I finally got around to watching this one. Despite having the Geneon full-screen VHS rip sitting on the shelf for a few years, i managed to hold out 'til i got a copy of SARTANA SAGA so i could watch ANGEL OF DEATH first (i’m a stickler for watching things in order whenever possible). This is yet another good time, with fireworks, guns popping up out of books and impossibly thrown playing cards.
The Carnimeo’s obviously do not have the same feel as Parolini’s original. But as light-hearted SW’s go, these have got to be some of the best. For me HAVE A GOOD FUNERAL was just a bit behind ANGEL OF DEATH. And i’ve still got LIGHT THE FUSE to look forward to.

Fun Factor - 7.5/10
[/quote]
Excellent! Let us all know what you think of Light the Fuse… as well. It’s also a good one.

I love the German dub. Almost every line of Sartana’s dialogue amused or even cracked me up. The film keeps its authenticity and doesn’t just a get silly fare after a while because only Sartana makes wisecracks.
I can see how the film in English with rather serious dialog is only so-so (coherent but unspectacular plot, odd pacing), not that I’ll judge without having seen it (I listened into the English dub only for a few lines), but with the German dub this is a hilarious, satisfying Spaghetti Western experience. It’s understandable if the dubbing isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, though.

[quote=“Systematicer, post:37, topic:1352”]I love the German dub. Almost every line of Sartana’s dialogue amused or even cracked me up. The film keeps its authenticity and doesn’t just a get silly fare after a while by only having Sartana making wisecracks.
I can see how the film in English with rather serious dialogues is only so-so (coherent but unspectacular plot, odd pacing), not that I’ll judge without having seen it (I listened into the English dub only for a few lines), but with the German dub this is a hilarious, satisfying Spaghetti Western experience. It’s understandable if the dubbing isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, though.[/quote]

You love the German dub? Sorry, but i think it destroys the whole movie.

I had to look at me the film in English.
Unfortunately, X-Rated has incorporated this into the subtitle simply, without making a faithful translation. :’(

I also switched immediately to the English version.

German version is a catastrophe and destroys the film.

Sorry Systematicer, you won’t find much people who follow you with your dub preference.

I know it’s disrespectful to the original film but I generally enjoy those particular kinds of dubs for their linguistic liberty and the speed at which those word- and phrase-creations occur.
Like > Die Zwei - Best of "Festival der Mörder" Folge 10 - YouTube

If I have seen a film in its original version first (or a version that is much closer to the intention of the original creation) then I usually also despise a dubbing job that is far and away from the original.

But it also happens to be that in general I value German dubbing more than English dubbing. Especially concerning B-movies I think English-language dubbing studios do a poor job. And since I grew up with it German dubbing also comes much more natural to me. Asynchronicity usually is a lot less noticeable for me in German than in English dubbing, probably because I learned not to look at it anymore, which isn’t the case with dubbings in other languages, where it feels completely wrong to me.