Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

The latest I’ve watched is Fernando Di Leo’s The Cold Blooded Beast. It has Klaus Kinski and a lot of nudity by all the female cast members. Among them Rosalba Neri who plays a nymphomaniac. There’s also lesbian stuff going on and even some pink. The story is about a masked serial killer who wreaks havoc in a luxury resort for insane, beautiful women. Kinski plays a doctor. Ok, the story is crap, but so what? I found it a very atmospheric and laidback movie. I mean, a Di Leo movie with boobs, a serial killer and Kinski; what more could you ask for?

Which version did you watch? And do you know which version is best?
This one has been on my wish-list for ages too.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:42, topic:520”]Which version did you watch? And do you know which version is best?
This one has been on my wish-list for ages too.[/quote]
I think I watched the Raro version. By the way, I reviewed it here (Dutch):
[url]Filmrecensies.net

I just watched Giulio Questi’s Death Laid an Egg. Very bizarre and artsy film. Questi does the same to giallo genre to what he did to westerns in Django Kill! Lots of pop-art-like images, strange camera angles, quick editing and very strange soundtrack.

Maybe not that good as an entertainment and not among best giallo’s but worth watching if you like strange films.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:44, topic:520”]I just watched Giulio Questi’s Death Laid an Egg. Very bizarre and artsy film. Questi does the same to giallo genre to what he did to westerns in Django Kill! Lots of pop-art-like images, strange camera angles, quick editing and very strange soundtrack.

Maybe not that good as an entertainment and not among best giallo’s but worth watching if you like strange films.[/quote]
I agree, very strange film, and all them chickens! that would drive me mad!

What version did you see, i saw it on Japanese dvd.

I watched “The House With The Laughing Windows” yesterday. What a great movie! Very slow-moving, but all the time you can feel it’s building up to something great and that’s indeed the case here. Incredible atmosphere! One of the top giallos that’s for sure!

Yeah, That’s a great one.

Last Giallo I watched was Torso. Not among Martino’s best. It starts very lazily but the later half in the mansion is excellent.

Saw La Morte accarezza a mezzanotte aka Death Walks at Midnight last night. A nice little giallo with a twist. Boy do Nieves Navarro throw a mean punch in this one. Definitely recommended. Also nice music by Gianni Ferrio.

Saw a giallo last night too. Argento’s Suspiria, but I can’t recollect a whole lot. (I had a fever and was smoking weed) I liked the atmosphere though. Anyway, good excuse to watch it again.

Suspiria is not a giallo, anyway a great movie, one of the best horrors ever in my opinion, the atmosphere is superb in this one

Painkiller right :wink:

I watched Suspiria a while ago and didn’t like it much even though I wasn’t stoned :wink: The film has little to offer except for athmosphere and Fulci offers more there…

Sounds like a bad combination :slight_smile:

I have to disagree. Try to watch it in a dark room with a speakerphones on and you’ll find out that’s one of the scariest movies ever [i find movies scary very rarely to make it clear] and has got a great nightmarish quality. Fulci was at his best in movies like “don’t torture a duckling” and this one cannot be compared to ‘suspiria’ cos it’s totally different kind of movie. The closest Fulci ever came to recapturing the aftermentioned quality was “the beyond” but it’s definitely not in par with “suspiria”.

I watched both Suspiria and The Beyond alone in a dark room and I like the Beyond much more. It’s far more scary, bloody and it has the better atmosphere. I’m not scared easily as well(The only movie that really scared me is the Silence of the Lambs) but Suspiria didn’t even come near scaring me…

It’s a matter of taste i guess. If you want to take my advice rewatch “suspiria” and try to look at it like a beautiful ‘moving painting’, because in a way that’s what this movie is. “the beyond” isn’t and that’s one of the things that make it not as good as it i think. I like 'the beyond" but it’s just not the same league for me.

I watched it with that in mind. Several people told me to just let myself be surprised by the visual beauty of the story and in that I was dissapointed. I’ll probably watch it again someday and maybe I’ll like it more because I was so dissapointed last time. I don’t think it’s a bad movie though(5.5/10) but I just think it’s not as good as everyone says…

I’m asking out of curiosity - have you seen ‘inferno’? if yes - how did you like it?

It is if you want to remember the movie you’re watching. So, Suspiria is not even a giallo? I’ll definitely have to rewatch it then, haha. I also tried Lamberto Bava’s Macabre, of which I have an ex-rental VHS. But the quality was so poor, I had to turn it off.

Even in the state you were in :wink:

Haven’t seen it no. Should I watch it?

Both The Beyond and Suspiria have a lot of atmosphere, but not of the same kind. Therefore I don’t think you can compare them. Fulci’s horor modus operandi was of course different from Argento’s, who seems more inspired by Hitchcock.