Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

It’s even more of a ‘moving painitng’ so i was curious if you like it.

I don’t want to be misunderstood - i love both ‘suspiria’ [i would rate it 10/10] and ‘the beyond’ [9/10], i just can’t help defending Argento’s movies :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t help defending The Beyond and though it doesn’t touch me much can see why people like Suspiria better, I just don’t…

I see we have similar attitude, i think that’s great to like movies so much, most of the people nowadays are not enjoying the movies they watch i think, they’re just judging them. Both movies are great and deserve wider recognition that just status of cult-movies. Argento and Fulci knew how to make a great horror movies and most of the directors should learn from them and stop making shitty remakes.

Not every remake is shitty though :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen any recent remake that wouldn’t be [i’m not talking of great classic remakes like carpenter’s ‘the thing’]. Maybe you’ve seen some remakes i didn’t. Some recommendations?

Scarface

The remake of The Amityville Horror is in fact better than its origin in my opinion. But else I totally agree with you, most of them are utter crap.

I didn’t bother with the remake, there is a box set in HMV of the original and remake together in the sale for £6, i may pick it up then.

King Kong for instance. If it’s better than the original I’m not sure but it at least has got a lot of heart and soul…

no, no, i meant new remakes not the ones that became classics themselves. And i meant horror remakes. Anyway Scarface is a very good one. I also love Carpenter’s The thing. But these are not the movies i talked about :wink:

Accidentally I watched The Beyond yesterday and I must say that I was not impressed. Bad script, bad acting, interesting ending but all in all just pretty bad. It’s very gory like most of Fulci’s movies but that didn’t add anything at all. Disappointed.

To get back on topic I watched La Morte cammina con i tacchi alti aka Death Walks On High Heels a couple of days ago. Far from as good as its companion piece Death Walks At Midnight. Didn’t really get caught by the story and the neat and clean look of Frank Wolff terrified me :slight_smile: Used to seeing that guy with hair all over the place and a gun his hand ;D

The beyond is similar to suspiria in a way that both movies are mostly a pure atmosphere and theri plots may be not good but that’s not the point of them. I think those movies are definitely not to everyone’s tastes. As much as i like ‘the beyond’ i must admit that i respect Fulci for his earlier movies like ‘don’t torture a duckling’ where he shows that he’s a talented director not only a filmaker good for gore-hounds [many people think that’s exactly what he is, unfortunately :frowning: ].
Haven’t seen any of ‘death walks…’ movies but as a giallo-lover i’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Going to see some more Fulci-movies obviously. Sounds like his more early work is more my style. Actually I watched Zanna Bianca the other day and though it wasn’t gory it certainly was violent for a children’s movie.

Try stuff like "A lizard in a woman’s skin’ and ‘don’t torture a duckling’. The former is very good, but the latter is definitely one of the best giallos!

DON’T TORTURE A DUCKLING is one of my fav Fulci films, and was ahead of it’s time.

I cannot imagine this kind of film getting made today.

I watched The Case Of The Bloody Iris [Perché quelle strane gocce di sangue sul corpo di Jennifer?]. I found the plot to be rather weak but it was fun anyway. Nice cast [Edwige Fenech, George Hilton], nice music [Bruno Nicolai] and some sleazy stuff [but not too much].

I saw only Bay of Blood, but it was really good. Nice to see some familiar SW faces in a giallo… :wink:

Claudio Camaso was really handsome, poor boy. :’( And he acted well. I think Andy Serkis must have been seen this movie!

Giallo films that will keep you enthralled.Just about every Carroll Baker entry as follows.

Sweet Body Of Deorah '68.

Orgasmo '69.

So Sweet So Perverse '69 Sensational with a cast of Jean Louis Trintignant,Erika Blanc,
Horst Frank.There are enough swerves to keep you glued to the screen.

A Quiet Place To Kill '70.

Death At The Deep End Of The Swimming Pool '71.

The Devil With Seven Faces '71.

Knife Of Ice '72.

Flowers With Petals Of Steel '73.

The Body '74 Baker has a downsized part but is effective.The highlight is the exotic
beauty Zeudi Araya.

Sky Is Falling '79 Dennis Hopper in space out mode makes a delightful seedy film with
Baker at 47 still packing the goods.