Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

Checked out Lamberto Bava’s Body Puzzle the other day. Nothing special going on there. Just sloppiness all over. I liked the scene where the psycho killer slaughters a teachers in fornt of a classroom filled with kids. Oh yeah, and Gianni Garko is in there.
Later on I watched Umberto Lenzi’s Spasmo, of which I bought the dvd for a lousy 3 euros. I’m not sure whether it’s a giallo or not, but it’s a good movie nonetheless. Really vague stuff going on. I’ll have to rewatch it for me to make sense, but that won’t be a punishment. Nice atmospheric movie, with a fitting score from Ennio Morricone.

Watched “New york ripper” recently. Sleazy and violent, good movie but the ending was disappointing for me

[quote=“alk0, post:22, topic:520”]Watched “New york ripper” recently. Sleazy and violent, good movie but the ending was disappointing for me[/quote]in a style only Fulci could manage! ;D

Don’t torture a duckling was a better Fulci’s giallo i think, the ending in it was great.

[quote=“alk0, post:24, topic:520”]Don’t torture a duckling was a better Fulci’s giallo i think, the ending in it was great.[/quote]Superg. when Tomas Milian is fighting with Marc Porel and he is sent falling down the cliff and you see his face scraping on the rocks.

I thought Florinda Bolkan’s demise was more disturbing though.

Yes, great scene later referenced in Fulci’s The beyond [he liked to make refences to his own scenes i think:P]
I was talking about ending because i was comparing it with ‘new york ripper’s’ one

I got lots of gialli on my wish list. Opinions on these films?

Deep Red
Don’t Torture a Duckling
Fifth Cord
Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion
Lizard in a Woman’s Skin
Strip Nude for Your Killer
Torso

Which I should see first and are they all worth getting?

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:27, topic:520”]I got lots of gialli on my wish list. Opinions on these films?

Deep Red
Don’t Torture a Duckling
Fifth Cord
Lizard in a Woman’s Skin
Torso

Which I should see first and are they all worth getting?[/quote]
Of the films you mention I only have Deep Red and that should be in anybodys giallo collection.
Many consider it too be Argento’s best film and one of the greatest giallos ever made.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:27, topic:520”]I got lots of gialli on my wish list. Opinions on these films?

Deep Red
Don’t Torture a Duckling
Fifth Cord
Lizard in a Woman’s Skin
Torso

Which I should see first and are they all worth getting?[/quote]
All great films although you may find Forbidden photos a little slow.

Talking of Giallos i watched “THE IGUANA WITH THE TONGUE OF FIRE” last night.

How was it?

[quote=“Dorado, post:28, topic:520”]Of the films you mention I only have Deep Red and that should be in anybodys giallo collection.
Many consider it too be Argento’s best film and one of the greatest giallos ever made.[/quote]This has been on my wish list for very long time but somehow I just haven’t bought it yet. Maybe because I have some precautions towards Argento. I like some of his films but some of them are crap.

I have the soundtrack of this film though.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:31, topic:520”]This has been on my wish list for very long time but somehow I just haven’t bought it yet. Maybe because I have some precautions towards Argento. I like some of his films but some of them are crap.

I have the soundtrack of this film though.[/quote]

I know what you mean.

But DEEP RED is certainly one of the director’s best films I have seen so far.

Good movie, not up there with the best Giallo’s but not down with the worst, some quite graphic effects and a nice score by Stelvio Cipriani.

DEEP RED Is A Solid Movie,I Don’t Think You’ll Be Disappointed.My Personal Giallo Collection Is Coming Close To 100 Films,Some Of My Favorites Are:
HOUSE WITH LAUGHING WINDOWS
DON"T TORTURE A DUCKLING
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO SOLANGE?
THE PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK
BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA
THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE

I still need to get “BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA”, i’ve got it on Japanese DVD in a boxset with “LA SETTIMA DONNA” (TERROR) but unfortunately it is in Italian language only >:(

I would highly recommend that you get the BU version of this film then, the film is one of the very best giallos.

For German Giallo fans:

12.05.07 / 01.05 Uhr / ZDF

Das Geheimnis der schwarzen Handschuhe (L’Uccello dalle piume di cristallo)

mit Tony Musante

Is this movie any good ???

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:37, topic:520”]For German Giallo fans:

12.05.07 / 01.05 Uhr / ZDF

Das Geheimnis der schwarzen Handschuhe (L’Uccello dalle piume di cristallo)

mit Tony Musante

Is this movie any good ???[/quote]
Also known as “The Bird with the Crystal Plumage” directed by Dario Argento. This film is a must for a serious fan, its one of the 5-10 best giallo’s IMO.

Well, I think I’ll tape it then and give it a try !!! That will be my first Giallo !!!

http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/The_Double_Feature_-_Your_new_favorite_exploitation_cinema_magazine