Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

I believe we have lots of giallo-fans on this board so I opened new topic to discuss these great films, dvd releases, music etc.

I’ve collecting giallos for few years now and I believe I’ve seen about 30 film so far, my favorite films are: What have you done to Solange?, All the colours of the Dark, Spasmo, Death walks at High Heels, Bird with Crystal Plumage, Killer must Kill Again… among others.

And to those who doesn’t know what “giallo” means, here’s the link to wikipedia:

Like SW’s and italian crime films I also like the Giallo genre.
I just recently began collecting them.
My small collection this far:

Bird with the crystal plumage.
Cat O’nine tails.
Cold eyes of fear.
Profondo Rosso.
Phenomena.
Suspiria.
The Black belly of the Tarantula.
Tenebre.
The girl who knew too much.
The case of the Scorpions tail.
The Strange vice of Mrs.Wardh.

1 Like

[quote=“Dorado, post:2, topic:520”]Profondo Rosso.[/quote]I haven’t seen this yet. Which dvd release would be worth getting?

Phenomena. Suspiria.
I'd say these are more basic horror films than giallos.

The version of Profondo Rosso I have is from Platinium Media Corporation it runs 123 min.
And I would agree with you that Phenomena and Suspiria belongs more to the horror genre.
Of the ones I have seen Tenebre and The Black belly of the Tarantula are my favorites.

[quote=“Dorado, post:4, topic:520”]The version of Profondo Rosso I have is from Platinium Media Corporation it runs 123 min.
And I would agree with you that Phenomena and Suspiria belongs more to the horror genre.
Of the ones I have seen Tenebre and The Black belly of the Tarantula are my favorites.[/quote]
Suspiria is not a giallo that’s for sure, but Phenomena can be considered as one and it sometimes is.
Anyway I love giallos, porbably my second favourite genre after spaghetti westerns :slight_smile:

I love Giallo’s, especially some of the Sergio Martiono ones, one of my favourites is Massimo Dallamano’s “WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO OUR DAUGHTERS”

I especially like giallo’s with crime elements (i know there are crimes taking place but i think you know what i mean :))

1 Like

Sergio Martino is my favorite director too. I haven’t seen “What have you done to our daughters” yet but Dallamanos “Solange” is probably my favorite giallo.

Sergio Martino is also one of my favorite directors, to bad he only did one SW. I have not seen any of his giallos yet, but I have ordered two “The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh” and
"The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail"
He also made the two best films in the italio-postapocalypse genre “2019 After the Fall of New York” and “Hands of Steel”

[quote=“Dorado, post:8, topic:520”]Sergio Martino is also one of my favorite directors, to bad he only did one SW. I have not seen any of his giallos yet, but I have ordered two “The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh” and[/quote]Both great films, it’s a pity noshame dvd have slowed down because they were putting out some great releases.

I’ve Fairly recently begun collecting some of these films too. So far i have;
THe Killer Must Kill Again
Strip Nude For Your Killer
A White Veil For Mariale
Your Vice Is A Locked Room and Only I have The Key
All The Colours Of The Dark
Spasmo
The Strange Vice Of Mrs Wardh
Crimes of The Black Cat
The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave
Hatchet For The Honeymoon
Love On A Razor’s Edge (the imdb has this listed as a giallo but i’m not quite sure if it is)
Cold Eyes Of Fear

I also have Bay of Blood, Lisa and the Devil and The Whip and The Body, though i’m unsure as to whether they are actually more horror films.

My favourites would have to be “Strange Vice Of Mrs Wardh” and “The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave” (Anthony Steffen in an unusually manic performance!). There are definitely quite a few others i’ll be getting, though, for the life of me, i just can’t get into the Argento stuff for some reason ???

1 Like

Anyone seen Dario Argento’s The Card Player? In my opinion one of the worst giallo’s you will encounter. Just bought Lamberto Bava’s Body Puzzle for 1 euro, will be watching it shortly.

no doubt it is Argentos poorest film

maybe not that bad but nothing special. Argento is not the the form now and i’m somehow afraid that the long awaited ‘third mother’ may be affected by this

I felt same way about Argento but I have started to like some of them recently. Bird with Crystal Plumage is a A-grade giallo and Tenebre is worth checking too (and has a good soundtrack). I also liked Stendhal Syndrome which was much better than I expected.

By the way, I’ll recommend you to see What Have You Done to Solange? Great film!

Tenebre is a fantastic film, i think all his films are great up to the 90’s but i do think Nonho sonno was Argento back on form

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:14, topic:520”]I felt same way about Argento but I have started to like some of them recently. Bird with Crystal Plumage is a A-grade giallo and Tenebre is worth checking too (and has a good soundtrack). I also liked Stendhal Syndrome which was much better than I expected.

By the way, I’ll recommend you to see What Have You Done to Solange? Great film![/quote]

I did actually see Tenebre when i was a kid, but it was probably heavily edited, and i can’t actually remember much about it except for some woman getting attacked by a dog! And i did see Stendhal Syndrome (but for a “girly” reason(!)), and it was OK.

I’ll look out for “What Have You Done To Solange” though. Am i right in thinking that it starrs Fabio Testi?

Yes, Fabio Testi is in it.

I might remember wrong though but I believe that the scene with attacking dog is from Inferno not Tenebre.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:17, topic:520”]Yes, Fabio Testi is in it.

I might remember wrong though but I believe that the scene with attacking dog is from Inferno not Tenebre.[/quote]
There is a long scene in Tenebre where a girl is chased by a doberman I think that might be the scene Silver remembers.

[quote=“Dorado, post:18, topic:520”]There is a long scene in Tenebre where a girl is chased by a doberman I think that might be the scene Silver remembers.[/quote]Ok, my mistake. It’s been long time since I watched Tenebre.

[quote=“Dorado, post:8, topic:520”]Sergio Martino is also one of my favorite directors, to bad he only did one SW. I have not seen any of his giallos yet, but I have ordered two “The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh” and
"The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail"[/quote]
I have received both these films and I think they are great, definitely my favorite gaillo’s this far.
Martino knows how too generate suspense better than most directors.