Garter Colt / Giarrettiera Colt (Gian Rocco, 1968)

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:38, topic:226ā€]ā€¦ she who bitchily says at some point in the film to insult another woman that she ā€œdressed badly like a Belgianā€.
Now you canā€™t support that sort of behaviour Scherpy, what with your maternal line being of that camp! ;D[/quote]

Iā€™m only half Belgian (good half, of course).

This was aā€¦ weird one to put it politely. Itā€™s obviously shot without a script as I didnā€™t have a faintest idea what was happening in the film throughout its running time. Lots of great wtf? moments and yesā€¦ cleavage. Not sure what to think about it really, at least the music was good.

More or less what the reverend told us. Well, Iā€™ll watch it in the near future, with low low expectations (at least quality wise).

And you like 'em wierd Billā€¦Iā€™m not sure the subs would make this better though - I presume you havenā€™t got this English-friendly version yet?

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:44, topic:226ā€]- I presume you havenā€™t got this English-friendly version yet?[/quote]Bit of googling and I found the srt file and I already had dvd-rip of the film so It didnā€™t take long.

Iā€™d start with one per cleavage close-up - you should be good ā€˜nā€™ merry by the end! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

They couldnā€™t be lower than the cleavage ::slight_smile: :wink:

I think I understand that just a smidge more than i did the movieā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Watching this tonight and wow, Iā€™m loving it actuallyā€¦

Thank god for fansubs, the dialogue is hilarious at times. About 35 mins in and have had many laughs so far, not only at the dialogue but just some of the general goofiness (and also picturing some of you watching this without the subtitltesā€¦ haha)

Its managed so far to be actually funny, but avoid the typical poorly executed slapstick and whatnot usually seen in spaghs.

Its also still got a bit of a hardened tone to it, not sure how its pulling that off but it isā€¦

Totally unique in the realm of comedic spaghetti

Some great quotes:

ā€œWeā€™re peaceful folk here. Give me that rope.ā€

ā€œYouā€™ll wake himā€ (said after firing a shot at man next to her babyā€™s carriage)

ā€œBallsā€ - must be seen in the subtitles to really appreciate this one

Everything the parrot says.

The guy feeding his horse some drugs (subtitles read ā€œhere, have some drugsā€) which then takes of with a blast of musicā€¦ hahaha

And Nicoletta, gorgeousā€¦ but Marisa Solinas is also looking pretty nice in this (although obviously very poorly done up)

1 Like

Waited till just now to read Reverend Daniteā€™s review and heā€™s pretty much on point with everything, but all this stuff is why I enjoyed it so much. I was laughing all through reading the review

I dunno, usually I donā€™t like these comedic spaghettis but this one was truly strange and kind of mean and irreverent in waysā€¦ very different than usual and something about it worked for me.

Indeed it was. Obviously not for me though - but Iā€™m thrilled ONE person likes it! Ahhhh - thatā€™s spaghetti-land for ya.
:wink:

I would add that this is perhaps the only spagh where I donā€™t mind a bit of extended horse riding scenes :wink:

Maybe somebody know how long was the original cut?
In 87 min version the story doesnā€™t make any sense at all :o
Of course Nicoletta Machiavelli was nice choice for leading role ;D
She was better than Anthony Steffen hehe :wink:

In memoriam Nicoletta Machiavelli, who died a year ago today, November 15. Not only was Machiavelli one of the Italian Westernā€™s most beautiful actresses, she also possessed the dignity to age with grace and not become a cosmetic surgery casualty.

Such a shame when people fall victim of this syndrome.

1 Like

I bought this DVD (English sub-titled) a few years ago from www.Cinecityplanet.com and just watched it again yesterday. I originally bought this as there are so few SWā€™s with leading ladies (such as Viva Maria, Frenchie King) or ladies with significant roles (Once Upon A Timeā€¦).
As mentioned by others, Nicoletta Machiavelli and Marisa Solinas look good but the story is all over the place. The movie looks like separate scenes just thrown together to make a movie. There are some slap-stick scenes such as Red, Rosie and the soldier rolling around in a haystack.
With a few more scenes and a bit if story & character development this could have been a much better movie.
The DVD quality and the scenery are reasonably good.

Approximately 102 minutes, the Database is correct.

At the end of April 1968 the initial VM18 rating became T - all ages admitted - after the elimination of a couple of bad words (culo, puttana) and a few seconds of sexy dance.

Garter Colt is definitely one of the more deviating 1960ā€™s SWs with its appearantly slightly loose structure, but since my new DVD-R has English subtitles I understood most if not all of what was going on with french soldier spies, apelike bandit, talking parrot, card cheating dwarf cumplice etc.
However the copy was only 1 hour 27 minutes so the 15 minutes missing perhaps would have improved the entertainment value, not ruling out that the opposite might be true since some scenes were dragging. The image quality was even better than my first impression earlier today.

I have watched several more cheap looking or boring fist fight and random shooting packed SWs but this one does not belong to that category and at least looks good, maybe not only beacause of Nicoletta Machiavelli :slight_smile:
Some of the not so frequent comedy/lightheartedness could have been excluded. The main music theme is really a plus and suits or sets a nice mood.
To begin with I rank it at the lower end of my 6/10 rated SWs which means 59th place overall on my Top SW but my appreciation of Garter Colt might grow further on, or the oppositeā€¦

1 Like

The missing 15 minutes partly should have been explaining how the two french soldiers got caught in the beginning and how the third french soldier successfully infiltrated the enemy and got them released.
Another part probably missing is how the girl Rosie was captured and brought to madman Redā€™s and how Nicolettaā€™s character was informed about that.

So if the full movie also includes such scenes (and possibly also others) I think Garter Colt would not feel as loose in its structure as it otherwise might appear in the cut version I have.

The style is definitely one of the most unusual even for SWs and with the music it gets a slightly exotic and melancolic mood together with its Frenchwoman, French soldiers, wild madman etc.
I tolerate the few absurd jokes (which I think even Leoneā€™s best SWs could provide).
I now rank it 48th place on my SW Top 60 and in the middle of my 6/10 rated SWs,

1 Like

This movieā€™s page has been updated to the new layout. The new layout has a downside: it makes it really really obvious whatā€™s missing. So if you have anything that you can add, like a review, links, information, facts and much more, please let us know.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been meaning to write a review for a whileā€¦since Spagvemberfestā€¦but something always seems to come up. It is still on my list though unless someone else wants to take a crack at it.

Damn I just want to see it!!! The movie that is!!!