Fury of Johnny Kid / Dove si spara di più (Gianni Puccini, 1967)

Not even Raimi The Quick and the Dead ?

Hell no. Never liked that one. Raimi should have been stick to the Evil Dead formula, those 3 I really enjoy!

alright, i will not disagree with that, but saying he “is always a wrong actors cast” is too heavy and wrong an expression.

Quick question: what was the alternative ending? I’d guess it just stopped before the death character appeared?

A re-watch. I liked it the first time, but this second time made me like it even more. Not one of PLL best, but nevertheless he was perfectly cast in this solid and well made spaghetti western backed up by a good love/action story and a good cast.

I believe there is a dub of this around (another very rare one to track down, perhaps) . On one of my other Koch media dvds, there’s an english trailer. Its also on youtube:

I got the Koch Media release some weeks ago and watched it tonight for the third time. There are still several things about it I don’t like. I don’t particularly like that kind of plot, and it no doubt would have benefited from a better score. Still it is one of those that stand out from the lot. It is extraordinarily well written and beautifully filmed. A good part for PLL and solidly acted all over. Especially, I enjoyed the part of Roselyn. María Cuadra’s only spaghetti, it seems? But what really sets it apart I think is the ending. Not exactly Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending, this.

She plays the President’s wife in The Price of Power.

You are right of course as always. But when I search for her on the SWDB, the only page found is Dove si spara di più?

Acute accent problem: María vs. Maria.

Exactly. So I have copied the name from the Il prezzo del potere page and pasted in on the Dove si spara di più page. Now the search for her works from both pages. But not from the main page. And not for the films’ review pages, where she is also mentioned. Hmm.

Enjoyed this one, especially the ending… I was not expecting that.

Juliet fires a rifle at Romeo from a balcony, the Grim Reaper as a gunslinger, and Hamlet’s last words are also the film’s last words – “Il resto è silenzio.” Total greatness.

Finally got around to watching this one last week after a recommendation from user Toscano and loved it, especially the ending which somehow fit perfectly despite being a bit outlandish. Not as good as Johnny Hamlet in my humble but a good addition to my collection of more theatrical spaghetti westerns.

Enjoyed this one alot! Good theatrical SW that never gets boring, alot of memorable scenes like the opening - A corpse being sent back on a horse back, classic SW stuff. I really liked the endin aswell, very original. The soundtrack is very strong aswell my opinion. I think I like it a bit more than Johnny Hamlet actually.

Watched this last night, having been on my ‘to do’ list for ages - I found it really charming.
Very unusual hybrid with great photography and editing, which made the production look more high end than it probably was, regarding budget.
Looked at some of the early comments here and had a good laugh … are you all such ‘tuff’ guys, you can’t tolerate a little romance ??? LOL … and of course PLL wore lots of make up … he wanted to look prettier than the girls ! doh! :grinning:

I will certainly watch this again … perhaps when I get hold of the English version. :+1:

1 Like

Haha, I thought this one was good. Nice camera angels, locations, you name it. It is funny but I liked the parts ppl generally disliked - mostly the romance! PLL and Galbo made such a lovely couple. I could not imagine someone like Steffen in this role. :smile:

It were some of the action scenes that sucked! There were some good violent ones but there are also few not too inspired. “Lefty” vs Martell vs PLL was so overdramatic and onveracted it was laughable. There is one more moment like this at the end of the movie when the two families stop shooting and one of the guys says something like “This marriage could make peace between our families… but we prefer funerals!”. Someone please cut it out. There are more signs of overacting in the movie but I tend to think that was maybe what they wanted to do.

There is also a mentor/student theme that is bit cheesy and very naive here and there. Not really memorable but I kinda liked it. It is however the romance that made the film good and I’d say it is just that for which you’d want to see the movie.

So a mixed bag of a very good romance, some good action scenes, bad action scenes and bad acting at some places. The ending is very special for the genre. I’d def. recommed this to sw fan just to see PLL and Galbo together in the movie. 3/5

1 Like

Fuck no ! LOL :rofl: … it could then be renamed ‘The Apathy of Johnny Kid’

Me and my wife watched Fury Of Johnny Kid for the first time. She found it OK except for exaggerated shooting, but she (and I) liked the “death” figure that showed up in the end, reminding us of Bergman’s The Seventh Seal.

It has some ingredients that I like in a SW, such as suitable mood, nice locations at La Pedriza, Colmenar viejo area in and for example a big estate with patio that I don’t know where it is located but probably also in Spain and a Mexican type pueblo in Italy which has appeared in several of the SWs I have watched lately.
The music was OK also.

But the Romeo-Julia story was not so convincing. Peter Lee Lawrence was not the ideal “Romeo typ” and suited better in Garringo. The flow of the film wasn’t always so smooth. I will probably rate it as a weak 6/10 if not less than that later on.

As with some other SWs lately watched by me several times, I just now have also increased my rating to 7/10. Fury Of Johnny Kid reminds in some ways of another recently upgraded SW also starring Peter Lee Lawrence Awkward Hands (also 7/10) since both have a love story, a shooting training scene with a guru and unorthodox ends.
Awkward hands though has a more varied and exciting story but Fury Of Johnny Kid on the other hand has some nice scenes including the final climax shot at a classic Spanish estate in Aranjuez (where there are several similar buildings). I think both films should be ranked just before Garringo (but also 7/10) which is a more traditional but still good SW.