Fury of Johnny Kid / Dove si spara di più (Gianni Puccini, 1967)

Yes, the gringo-mexican war idea fits perfectly.

But I thought the love story. Does not fit in my opinion.
Here simply lack the coolness that simply belongs to a Spaghetti Western.
If I want to watch a love story, then look no spaghetti western.
And when I watch a spaghetti western, then I will not see any love story.

Leone, for example, never had a love story in his films.
On the contrary. In For A Few Dollars More, there was a bed story between Eastwood and the wife of the hotel owner. But they are not used by Leone. He feared it could undermine the coolness shown by Eastwood.

And if they are there like in The Great Silence they are usually well handled.

Yes that’s right.

But i bring an other example: Django.
I love this movie. Full of this coolness.
But the movie has a weakness for me: this implied romance between Django and Maria.
I find that unnecessary. :wink:

I’m the complete opposite. I love it as well but the love story between Django and Maria is an important part I think ;).

I’ve watch this one yesterday. What seems to be a well done movie turned into a boring bloodbath.

The film starts out fine. But when the Romeo & Julia story kicks in, it goes downhill. This story doesn’t appeal to me at all and it’s been done a thousand times. The ending is ok too with the grim reaper making an appearance.

Peter Lee Lawrence wears so much make up, it’s ridiculous. Lulli and Martell were the best actors. The rest made little impression.

Overall it’s not bad, but not better than dozens of other spaghetti westerns.

6/10

Start of with some ok action, but then go into love story type mode. This is overlong and like already pointed out Peter Lee Lawrence is wearing way to much make up. He looks very young in this though. After love story mode, we pick up with the action again and film goes pretty quick then. Prefer other Peter Lee Lawrence westerns to this. Good to have it released by Koch though.

This is one of my personal favorites. Everything you guys seem to like about it, I like even more. And everything you guys seem to hate about it…I like! ha ha!
But, PLL does seem to have too much make-up on at times.

One of my favorite too. Even the love story fits well with the action. It is an element that will lead to the final scene that has been praised by many. And the theme by Gino Peguri was a very good one. I agree that Peter Lee Lawrence’s make up was too much but this was not the first thing to notice. It didn’t bother me much.

This one was pretty dam enjoyable. It moves along at a good pace and the love story didn’t ruin it for me. It came very late and was pretty unabtrusive. I also like how it doesn’t cowtow to the original source. It is it’s own movie based loosely on Shakespeare. However, the showdown with Martell and all that felt a little too forced. As if they were trying to shoehorn it into the film to make clear that is based on romeo and juliet. If it was more gradual, it would have come across better. In this scene, the Mercutio character seems to just appear out of nowhere.

But that is another thing, I didn’t even realise that there was a Mercutio character until he was killed. I thought it was clever to cover it up so convincingly. Or maybe it’s just me?

Interesting movie. It’s nice to see an SW with a bit of a plot and a new few ideas. Not the usual revenge stuff. It is certainly a good film but it could have been a great one if it was just better directed. If more was made of all it’s ideas, and the sort of circular theme of violence. I also found some of it a little silly which took from the drama.

The two leads were fine but I think the stand outs were Peter Martell and Piero Lulli. I think the film could have done with a stronger “Mercutio” and made more of that angle.

I recommend this movie and the KOCH DVD. Looks great.

SPOILER

I love the way the Romeo and Julliet story is taken to the opposite conclusion to Shakespeare’s.

I think Peter Lee Lawrence is always a wrong actors cast. :wink:

Why?

Well I also disagree. He looks great in God in Heaven… Arizona on Earth, A Gun for One Hundred Graves or Killer Adios. In this particular he doesn’t fit that well, that’s true.

He has somewhat of a reputation as a pretty boy. I used to think that too but I’ve seen him in Spaghettis I liked him in. Like the above mentioned.

I think he’s weak in these 2.

He’s ok in Garringo, and quite good in More Dollars for the McGregors, in all the other films I don’t like him.

His acting abilities are very limited, and he has mostly about zero charisma imo.

PLL has a false face for the SW.
He does not look like an anti-hero.

I do not like him.
And I agree with Stanton, in Garringo and in More Dollars for the McGregors were his best performances.
In A Gun for One Hundred Graves his performance was ok. Or let’s say he could not do much wrong. :wink:
God in Heaven… Arizona on Earth, the film and the performance of PLL had surprised me.
But in the other films he is not very good.
In Fury of Johnny Kid, for example, he is a major factor why the film is nothing more than average.

Get your point now. I have a similar opinion for Leonardo di Caprio movies. If he’s on, I’m off…

;D

I can relate to this.