Favorite Non–Spaghetti Westerns

Nice chart you have Drifter (by the way, welcome to the forum). Disagree about The Searchers being there, but I mostly agree with the films you have on it.

The Long Riders is one of my favourite non-spaghettis.

Funny–and interesting-- how folks have different opinions about things.

I actually think HANG 'EM HIGH is the worst film of those four that SD listed.
It is the most boring Western Eastwood ever made and one of the worst American Westerns of the 60’s, in my opinion. It is too middle-of-the-road, for me. In my view, it is an entirely unsuccessful attempt to blend standard American TV Western elements with the harder-edged Spaghetti Western stuff that was becoming so popular at the time. They tried, but they failed miserably.

On the other hand I actually like FIRECREEK and BANDOLERO a great deal (they are in my Top 100 favorite Westerns, actually).
There are even things I like about FIVE CARD STUD (not in my Top 100, though). But, for me the real turkey in SD’s list is the Eastwood film.

And don’t forget, amigos…this is all about FAVORITE Westerns, not what are supposed to be THE BEST.

I like this one in a middle of the road kinda’ way m’self. Mostly for Mitchum, leastly for Martin. Mcdowall is fun in this one too.

I have watched a lot of the classical westerns recently so I upgraded my top 10.

1. High Noon
    2.High Plaines Drifter
    3.Shane
    4.The Outlaw Josey Wales
  2. Warlock
  3. The naked spur
    7.Day of the Outlaw
  4. Hang em High
    9.Garden of evil
  5. Winchester '73

A good list Dorado. It’s nice to see the great Day of the Outlaw there, and High Noon probably deserves the top spot, but what happened to One Eyed Jacks?

I like “One eyed Jacks” but IMO there are 20-30 american westerns that are better.

1. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
  2. The Assassination of Jesse James
  3. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
  4. The Magnificent Seven
  5. The Wild Bunch
  6. The Professionals
  7. Dead Man
  8. Ride the High Country
  9. Open Range
  10. Unforgiven

I have a lot of westerns on my mental list of films to watch or rewatch, so I’ll probably revise this list pretty soon. I really need to acquaint myself better with the older classics like John Wayne movies. I saw a few when I was a kid, but they weren’t really my thing then. I reckon I could appreciate them a lot more now.

Good list Sanjuro, but surely The Wild Bunch is better than The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford?

Overall, yeah, it’s probably a better movie & unquestionably a more important one. But at a personal level, I think I enjoy the Assassination of Jesse James more. The characters are more vivid, & I really like the narration style, although that wouldn’t work well in something like the Wild Bunch.

Fair enough. I can understand hoe you might place a film like The Magnificent Seven ahead of it out of enjoyment value.

Assassination of jesse james is definitely the best western to come out in the last 10 or 15 years…in my humble opinion

Don’t know I thought Open Range and Seraphim Falls were better. Maybe I’ve to re-watch The Assassination of Jesse Jamey by the Coward Robert Ford once again. :wink:

From the last 20 Years Tombstone is still the best :slight_smile:

I’ll go along with that. :slight_smile:

I like Open Range & Seraphim Falls, but the Assassination of Jesse James beats them by a long way. Great direction, performances, cinematography, atmosphere, everything. I highly recommend the novel as well.

3:10 to Yuma is OK but over-rated. Could have been a lot better with someone more charismatic than Russell Crowe in the lead role.

I used to love Tombstone when I was a kid, but rewatched it recently for the first time in about twelve years & was bitterly disappointed. So cheesy & cliched.

1. Outlaw Josey Wales
  2. Pale Rider
  3. High Plains Drifter
  4. Magnificent Seven
  5. 3:10 to Yuma
  6. Silverado
  7. The Gunfighter
  8. Boss Nigger
  9. The Shootist
  10. Buck and the Preacher

Others I like: Blazing Saddles, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Tombstone, High Noon, The Quick and the Dead, The Quick and the Dead (Louis L’Amour’s)

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:175, topic:103”]7. The Gunfighter
8. Boss Nigger
9. The Shootist[/quote]
It’s good to see The Shootist in the list and The Gunfighter deserves it’s place, but tell me, is Boss Nigger really a Western?

Aren’t there a couple of film with a character called Nigger Charley?
He probably means those movies

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:177, topic:103”]Aren’t there a couple of film with a character called Nigger Charley?
He probably means those movies[/quote]
Oh right. I’ve never seen Boss Nigger, but from what I’ve heard of it, I thought it was a Blaxploitation gangster film.

No, I think he means Boss Nigger:

… which is a western indeed

Right, Boss Nigger is a western (I thought it was a film like Shaft or Slaughter):

But there is a film with a character called Nigger Charley
(Apparently you can watch the entire movie here; be quick if you wish, similar clips are often removed):