Favorite Non–Spaghetti Westerns

Seven Men From Now is a Budd Boetticher western starring Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin made in 1956. It is one of Boetticher’s best imo and I’m a big fan of his work in general. Judging from the other stuff you have listed that you like JW I suspect you would definitely dig this one.

Yes, those are all great John Ford westerns, Yellow Ribbon being my least favorite of the bunch we named…even thought the cinematography was excellent

I wouldnt call it a full on western…but there’s definitely an influence there

It’s set in the west, no matter if it’s a Western or not it’s a great film!

little late on this one, but…

The Proposition
Deadman
Blueberry
Magnificent Seven
Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
The Good The Bad The Weird
Hannie Caulder
El Topo

[quote=“klinteastwood, post:122, topic:103”]Yes, those are all great John Ford westerns, Yellow Ribbon being my least favorite of the bunch we named…even thought the cinematography was excellent[/quote]Any particular reason you like it least (I agree that the photography is great)?

well, i just thought it was a little more boring than the others, cant put my finger on why exactly…i need to give it another watch soon

I need to do the exact same thing with “Stagecoach”. I wasn’t that impressed by it first time round, but I have a feeling that it will be better on the second viewing.

I cannot understand how I missed this great excuse to make yet another list:

1. High Noon
  2. One Eyed Jacks
  3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  5. Rancho Notorious
  6. The Ballad of Cable Houge
  7. Duel in the Sun
  8. Day of the Outlaw
  9. The Shootist
  10. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

@John Welles:

You should see Blood on the moon with Bob Mitchum. Very Noirish.

forgot to mention the great Clint westerns in my list …Josey Wales and Joe Kidd being two of my favorites…and I also saw Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid for the first time recently and I believe it deserves to be on there too…great great movie

Yeah, I agree…
Peckinpah’s PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID is a great film that often gets ignored. In fact, just speaking for myself, I like it just as much as I like THE WILD BUNCH, though they are very different films in tone.

[quote=“korano, post:129, topic:103”]@John Welles:

You should see Blood on the moon with Bob Mitchum. Very Noirish.[/quote]

Seconded, BLOOD ON THE MOON is one of the few older b&w westerns i enjoy. Fullers FORTY GUNS would be another.

Only a few?

Yeah, as much as i like many films from the 30’s and 40’s, i’m not that fond of the early westerns in general. But as always, there are exceptions.

Pursued, also with Mitchum, has the edge on this one for me - it’s even more noir-esque, though Blood… is also very good.

Absolutely agree with this! PURSUED is a great little film.

The Last Outlaw 1994
starring:
Mickey Rourke, Dermot Mulroney, Steve Buscemi, Daniel Quinn

One of my favorite non-spaghetti ever. Bunch of a ex-confederate soldiers leading by a mad officer ( Mickey)

[quote=“Guerrilla, post:137, topic:103”]

The Last Outlaw 1994
starring:
Mickey Rourke, Dermot Mulroney, Steve Buscemi, Daniel Quinn

One of my favorite non-spaghetti ever. Bunch of a ex-confederate soldiers leading by a mad officer ( Mickey)[/quote]

Hey! I am really glad to see someone else that likes this film!
I think it is VERY good, indeed.

[quote=“korano, post:129, topic:103”]@John Welles:

You should see Blood on the moon with Bob Mitchum. Very Noirish.[/quote]
Thanks, I’ll look out for this; ditto “Pursued”.

Blood on the Moon and Pursued are terrific.
Other stylish films (though not necessarily noirish) are two by William Wellman:
The OX Bow Incident
Yellow Sky
Two really fine Joel McCrea westerns from the same time are:
Four Faces West
and
Colorado Territory (by Pursued director Raoul Walsh- it is a western remake of his crime/noir film High Sierra)

Only three westerns from the 50’s make my favs list:
Shane
Johnny Guitar
The Wonderful Country

From the 60’s
The Magnificent Seven
One-Eyed Jacks
The Shooting
Ride in the Whirlwind
The Professionals

The 70’s
McCabe & Mrs. Miller