Favorite Non–Spaghetti Westerns

Hmmm. I seem to have never posted in this thread.

Oh well, here’s a few (all favorites). I can’t live without the bolded ones.

The Ox-Bow Incident
My Darling Clementine
Pursued
Blood On The Moon
Four Faces West
Yellow Sky
Shane
Johnny Guitar
Forty Guns
Terror in a Texas Town
Warlock
Seven Men From Now
The Tall T
Ride Lonsome
Comanche Station

The Professionals
The Shooting
Ride in the Whirlwind

Ulzana’s Raid
Pat Garret & Billy the Kid
Unforgiven
Dead Man

[quote=“Stanton, post:89, topic:103”]A blasphemic statement:
I also would say that the US westerns from 65 to 73 had produced a higher amount of quality westerns than their european counterparts.
Hmm, but I have to admit, I was more sure about this statement 1 or 2 years ago. But I think it still stays.[/quote]

Considering the volume of “bad” eurowesterns during that time, this is an entirely defensible position.
I’m much more of a fan of 40’s westerns than 50’s but I seem to have a lot more 50’s westerns selected than 60’s. After 1960, I can’t think of too many American westerns I care for.
I only like the odder ones from the 50’s.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:102, topic:103”]Considering the volume of “bad” eurowesterns during that time, this is an entirely defensible position.
I’m much more of a fan of 40’s westerns than 50’s but I seem to have a lot more 50’s westerns selected than 60’s. After 1960, I can’t think of too many American westerns I care for.
I only like the odder ones from the 50’s.[/quote]

But I’m talking here only about the good ones. The americans made their big enough share of shit westerns also, in any decade.

For me the years from 66 to 71, maybe 73 are the absolute peak of western production in artistic criterions.

[quote=“Stanton, post:103, topic:103”]But I’m talking here only about the good ones. The americans made their big enough share of shit westerns also, in any decade.

For me the years from 66 to 71, maybe 73 are the absolute peak of western production in artistic criterions.[/quote]
I have to go back and read through this thread more closely. Which are the ones from 66-71(3) that you hold in such high regard?
I don’t disagree with you. But I don’t know. A friend of mine has as his favorite western El Dorado. But I just don’t like it. I don’t like westerns that have that same look. They look like television movies to me. Too clean. Most American westerns that tried to do something different mostly just imitated Spaghettis (albiet badly).
That’s one reason I love Pat Garrett so much. Peckinpah suceeded in creating a unique “look”.
If I remember correctly Ennio likes 70’s American westerns…

Very much so, and prefer them to some Spaghetti’s of the 70’s.

My list;

Hud
The Last Picture Show
Tears of the Black Tiger
The Searchers
Winchester 73
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
The Misfits
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Little Big Man
My Darling Clementine
Red River
The Cowboys
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
Hang Em High
High Plains Drifter
Junior Bonner
Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia
The Three Burial for Melquiadas Estrada
No Country For Old Men
Dead Man
The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Suprising you include it on ‘westerns’ list, but it’s one of the best movies ever in my opinion

And you just saw it recently for the first time?

1. Hang Em’ High
  2. Magnificent Seven
  3. Outlaw Josie Wales spit

Yes, it was love at the first sight you can say :wink:

I included The Last Picture Show as a western because it was based upon a screen play written by Larry McMurtry, who is well known for his gritty writing style that really captures the flavor of the west. The film depicts a boy coming of age in a small Texas cowtown in the 1950’s. I grew up on a ranch near a small cowtown in Oklahoma, so the film kinda brings back memories of “the west” I remember.

McMurtry also wrote my favorite western, Hud, and the original Lonesome Dove series. He’s an amazing writer. Dont know what he was thinking when he got mixed up with that Broke Back Mountain stuff (no, I ain’t seen it).

The Last Picture Show doesn’t follow the normal storyline of your typical western. But, the film does a superb job of capturing the look and feel of the real west during that era. So, in that sense I consider it a western. Similar films would be Bad Day At Black Rock, and The Misfits.

Are non-spaghetti westerns considered antipasta westerns?

[quote=“Seagoing.Cowboy, post:111, topic:103”]He’s an amazing writer. Dont know what he was thinking when he got mixed up with that Broke Back Mountain stuff (no, I ain’t seen it).
[/quote]

Maybe he thought: What a great film this could become.

Sorry pardner. There’s no room for any of that pillow biting in MY westerns.

No, most Westerns keep it all safely tucked away in the closet. :wink:

i’ll just name a couple

The Searchers
The Wild Bunch
Rio Grande
The Assassination of Jesse James
Fort Apache

[quote=“klinteastwood, post:116, topic:103”]Rio Grande
Fort Apache[/quote]
I saw these two recently. Great stuff. Along with “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence” and “She Wore a Yellow Ribbon”, they are my favourite John Ford westerns.

The Ox- Bow Incident
I shot Jesse James
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Proposition
My Darling Clementine
Open Range
Dances with wolves
The return of Frank James
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
Ride the High Country
Pat Garratt and Billy the Kid
Seven Men from Now
High Plains Drifter

A good choice. A very good choice.

I’ve never heard of this one. What’s it about, when was it made, who directs and stars?

No Country For Old Men isn’t a Western at all, is it?