El Condor (John Guillermin, 1970)

Great Job Defocus! They still look pretty good actually. Makes me want to watch El Condor!

Youā€™ll have to ask Alex, but Iā€™m sure it was used for A reason to live, a reason to die
The 11th pic is shot from the position where the camera was when the final reels of that movie were shot.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:6, topic:2018ā€]Youā€™ll have to ask Alex, but Iā€™m sure it was used for A reason to live, a reason to die
The 11th pic is shot from the position where the camera was when the final reels of that movie were shot.[/quote]

yes, it was definitely used for A Reason to Live. On second thoughts I think Straight to Hell was shot elsewhere.

ā€œIs it still standing? Where was it located exactly?ā€

You mean some kind of photo reportage of the site would be nice ? Something likeā€¦drums ā€¦this :

The photoreportage has been on the forum for many weeks nowā€¦ :slight_smile:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,2284.0.html

Congrats on a bunch of great histotical picures, friend!!!
Superb jƵb.

Thank you for your reply/pics!

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but wasnā€™t ā€˜March or Dieā€™, starring Terence Hill and Gene Hackman, also filmed there?

By the way, ā€˜defocusā€™, well done for such great photos of the ā€˜El Condorā€™ set. The last time I was in Almeria was eight years ago, and I, unfortunately, never had a chance to visit the place.

the same fortress was used to the movie conan the barbarian

Felt like something light and easy this morning so popped this one in the player.
Like some have said above, I prefer Take a Hard Ride of the 3 movies made with Van Cleef and Brown but do enjoy this one. And yes, LVC sans rug is always a bonus.

warner bros re-released the film in dvd and make a very good job
crisp picture and clear sound for 27 dollars
i like the movie a lot but in the end it looks something itā€™s missing

Well i,ve got to come out in favour of this filmā€¦thought it was pretty good and entertainingā€¦we need to look at the film as it was made nearly 40 years ago and pretty good at the timeā€¦again its a case of ā€œONE MANS MEAT IS ANOTHER MANS POISONā€ā€¦The film appears to be one of those you just love or hateā€¦maybe some others from our circle of friends around the globe who hav,nt seen this film yet can give us a bit of inputā€¦would be interesting to get more feedback on this ā€¦
quote from a reason to live ā€¦a reason to die ā€¦( same film)

This is a really good movie and Iā€™m sad itā€™s not getting much love. If you like 100 Rifles or Take A Hard Ride (I do!), you should enjoy El Condor as well. The leads are mismatched, but likeable nonetheless. The real star of the show is the set design; the incredible fort in Spain was built especially for this film. They rewrote the script to make good use of the fort and it turned up again in the Conan film.

Hm - this movie left me with some ambivalent impressions. One the one hand itā€™s really entertaining with lots of ā€œbang boom bangā€, a wonderful Mariana Hill - and I always liked good old Lee van Cleef (unfortunately Iā€™m slowly running out of movies he stared in :slight_smile: On the other hand there are some scenes which are explicitly inhuman. For example the killing of the two gays those stick together under the blanket by LVC. This is very strong misanthropic, anti-homosexual connotation - I really canā€™t stand that! What confused me was the hidden agenda of some of the protagonists. What drives for example Mariana Koch to help Brown and LVC to conquer the fortress? At the end of the day she had lost everything so her action doesnā€™t make any sense to me. Maybe someone can explain to me?

the very ending was a bit let down, the very end after the masacre at the el condor scene

El Condor is a personal favourite of mine. :slight_smile: I have quite a special relationship with this movie.

I have noticed :slight_smile:

The American cut is quite different from the version they broadcast on British television. There is another cut of El Condor that contains a sex scene between Jim Brown and Mariana Hill. It has been a very long time since I watched El Condor on TV (I was just a little kid then) but others have also remembered more nudity and violence in the film. Does anyone know if any European VHS tapes contain the longer, uncut version? Maybe somebody out there taped El Condor from the TV and has it? Iā€™d be curious to see it since this is one of my favourite westerns.

I hope this post gets noticed. There must be a copy of the uncut version out there somewhere.

Iā€™ll check what versions are available on cinemageddon. I have one of their downloads, but I have no idea if itā€™s uncut