Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

Some of the negative reactions might be caused by this too. I think a lot of people are fed up with this hysteria. Tarantino has almost become a movement, a new kind of religion, with him as the son of God, or God himself.
That doesn’t make his movies bad or whatever, but it doens’t make it easier to concentrate on them. It’s a bit like the enormous, pompous show U2 turn their gigs in. Was it a good show? Yes, a fine show. And the music, No idea.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:278, topic:2720”]Thats interesting Scherp that the Belgian critics aren’t too impressed. Probably because of the historical inaccuracies?

I wonder how the French critics are taking it? After all, they were the first critics to give positive reviews to the Spaghetti Western.[/quote]

Haven’t checked yet. Will do that. The Dutch critics weren’t positve so far either.

Fucking awesome! I’m gonna get me a Stephen action figure. He’ll make me feel safe at night when I put him on my pillow while I sleep.

one thing that’s relevant is that the topic is not so close to the Eureopean audience’s hearts than the WW2 topic was, but I haven’t heard much negative about it. But I have a lot of friends who didn’t like it. None of them hated it however, it was mostly about expectations

Surprised Tarantino could not resist to have at least one machine gun in the film.

… or duel, for that matter :frowning:

Interesting note: I actually watched this film with my best friend who happens to be black. I was expecting him to really like the film but he thought it was only so-so. It was a bit too slow and “Its not what I expected” was what he said. He praised the acting, especially Sam Jackson’s. “He made me hate him” was what he said lol.

Most of the other opinions from my black colleagues and friends I have gotten were largely positive though. None of them were offended at all by the slave issue or anything like that. although I know that Spike Lee was supposedly boycotting the film.

Will Quentin be able to survive this ?

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:286, topic:2720”]although I know that Spike Lee was supposedly boycotting the film.[/quote]The mans got a chip on his shoulder anyway.

…and I’m sure most know it.

Sure has, never really liked the guy because of that.

I saw it today. Good film but I wasn’t really impressed. I think the problem is in the script which is thin even for a western let alone Tarantino film. It has a very episodic structure and it’s overlong. Even the action scenes in the end were disappointing, maybe I was expecting something more in a traditional sw style.

But the actors do good job, especially Samuel L. Jackson. Landscapes and sets are beautiful and there’s of course familiar sw music which is nice.

3/5

btw, did anyone spot Russ Tamblyn (dr Jacoby in Twin Peaks)? What part is he playing? In imdb his character is listed as a Son of a Gunfighter which is reference to the eurowestern he starred but I didn’t recognise him in the film.

I saw Django Unchained last night in leeds. Loved it, loved it all, even the last 20 minutes that some say it went on too long by. HOWEVER, what do we, in the SWDB world, make of it? Is it realy a spaghetti western, when clearly it is, and clearly it isn’t. We are going to adopt it as ours (in the SW world) but it surely cannot blurr the edges, especially when it comes to polls and future favourite lists etc. Do we make it an honorary spaghetti western? I am very much interested in peoples thoughts on this.

[size=8pt]EDIT Lode: Merged topics.[/size]

you talking about helmut and me, for instance? to defend my self, you are right about the expectations. I truly expected a SW and the missing stand-off or the good-will-thing Dr. Schultz had in helping Django was disappointing. Overall it is a cool film with great talk and characters. But it is no Speghetti Western. It does use some SW style kinda things, but that’s it.

[quote=“Lode, post:293, topic:2720”]you talking about helmut and me, for instance? to defend my self, you are right about the expectations. I truly expected a SW and the missing stand-off or the good-will-thing Dr. Schultz had in helping Django was disappointing. Overall it is a cool film with great talk and characters. But it is no Speghetti Western. It does use some SW style kinda things, but that’s it.[/quote]I don’t know why you expected a spaghetti western. It’s a U.S. film for a start. Being Tarantino I expected references and “borrowed” music yes, but expecting a spaghetti western? not at all.

Even if a Spaghetti western was made today I would probably prefer the older ones made in the 60’s and 70’s.

I agree. This film is actually more inspired by blaxploitation than SWs!

It’s an American blaxploitation Spaghetti. :smiley:

I’m sure we can make it an honorary spaghetti western - it’s directed by a bloke with an Italian name, after all.

I saw this today and really loved it, especially the use of music - though in a way it might work better for someone who doesn’t already know the tunes. For example, when you hear the theme from the Hellbenders start, you know exactly how that scene is going to play out and precisely when Django will appear.

chameleon your signature picture is fixating :wink:

Yes, that picture somehow has a spell on me. :slight_smile:

Well anyways, I finally saw Django Unchained and all i can say is, i liked it. It’s a bit overlong but that was ok with me.
It’s funny and entertaining with a good mix of some familiar spaghetti music and such. All the main characters were good, I didn’t expect to enjoy Leo so much, but i did. Not the best Tarantino film, but a damn good one.