Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:260, topic:2720”]Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death[/quote]Cheers JC.

Looks like Burt Lancaster at a glance.;D

Violent as expected but did not expect it to be as funny. Shame Nero did not have a bigger role, but Christoph Waltz was great as the lead bounty hunter. Never expected to see another western that again borrows music from ‘The Hellbenders’, supose it adds to the list of the westerns that already have used before. The music was a mixed bag, some of it worked some not. Film dragged a little around three quarters through, but a nice pace on the whole. Better than expected for me, mainly due to a standout role by Waltz.[font=times new roman] [/font]

More sunglasses 8)

Saw this one last night. I really liked it but for a couple of “excesses” that I won’t elaborate on. To me, all of the main players were excellent with special tips of the hat to Samuel L. and Waltz. Beautifully filmed. The Django and Trinity music never sounded so good. I liked that there are so many items in the movie(like so many of QT’s films) that only SW buffs will pick up on. Nice to see some old cowboys such as Don Stroud and Lee Horsley in small roles. As someone has already mentioned, Don Johnson was topnotch in his part. It was also good to see two of my favorites in this - James Russo and Walton Coggins. One thing about Django Unchained struck me - it’s been a long time since I’ve run such an emotional gamut while watching a movie. Tarantino strikes again!

there is plenty of blood and gore??

Haven’t seen it, but I’ve watched a review of a guy who says it’s the bloodiest western he has seen since he viewed Cut Throats Nine, therefore I guess it will come up to your expectations. :wink:

imdb has information for the violence of this film they rate the violence 10\10 on the gore score

Gore score xD I want a bar meter called that applied to all movies before I watch them.

The conclusion of Django Unchained is messier than the finale of a Gallagher stand-up special.

anyone else think the Dr. Shultz character is inspired by Yodlaf from Companeros ?

Yeah, it does! Not quite sure, but don’t they mention ‘The Penguin’ in there or something?

Saw this last night, thought it was awesome, way better than Inglourious Basterds, but with both films the originals are far better :stuck_out_tongue: I thought the music fit perfectly. It was quite bloody but that should be expected from Tarantino. Loved Nero’s cameo. Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx, and Samuel L. Jackson were great in their parts. I hope people start making spaghetti westerns again for the big screen!

Very much so.

It premiered last tuesday in Belgium, the first critical reactions are very, very negative. (1 or 2 out of 5 is the average rating so far)

Most people here don’t like critics, so it doesn’t mean a hell of a lot, but on facebook some western fans were very negative too.

Very different from the (North) American critics (but people still don’t like them, haha)! It’s always interesting to see how the critical and popular reception for films diverges all around the world.

Personally I liked it a lot, but I definitively prefer Inglourious Basterds.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:274, topic:2720”]It premiered last tuesday in Belgium, the first critical reactions are very, very negative. (1 or 2 out of 5 is the average rating so far)

Most people here don’t like critics, so it doesn’t mean a hell of a lot, but on facebook some western fans were very negative too.[/quote]
American and British critics have been very positive in generall and it has been doing good business in the U.S. so maybe they missed the boat on this one. Spaghetti Westerns are bigger in Europe, so are the critics comparing Django Unchained to the original Pasta Westerns? And, most importnatly of all, are you going to see it?

Are you going to see it: Still in doubt. Normally I wouldn’t, all this hysteria and media attention (for the man and his movies) spoils the fun for me a little, but I got a phone call last night from a film critic who asked me if I had seen it and could give him a few tips, and I had to say no (I referred him to a couple of articles). I haven’t read his review yet, it will be published in a weekend edition of a magazine

Are the critics comparing (etc.): Yes and no, the genre is mentioned, and so are Leone and Corbucci, but there’s more discussion on the slave thing and the statement, by tarantino, that it was all in his head, and that he didn’t do any serious research (in other words: the discussion on the postmodern character of his work goes on)

Thats interesting Scherp that the Belgian critics aren’t too impressed. Probably because of the historical inaccuracies?

I wonder how the French critics are taking it? After all, they were the first critics to give positive reviews to the Spaghetti Western.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:277, topic:2720”]Are you going to see it: Still in doubt. Normally I wouldn’t, all this hysteria and media attention (for the man and his movies) spoils the fun for me a little, but I got a phone call last night from a film critic who asked me if I had seen it and could give him a few tips, and I had to say no (I referred him to a couple of articles). I haven’t read his review yet, it will be published in a weekend edition of a magazine

Are the critics comparing (etc.): Yes and no, the genre is mentioned, and so are Leone and Corbucci, but there’s more discussion on the slave thing and the statement, by tarantino, that it was all in his head, and that he didn’t do any serious research (in other words: the discussion on the postmodern character of his work goes on)[/quote]
I appreciate what you mean by “media hysteria”. I like it when a film enters mainstream thought and discussion, but what’s happening with Django Unchained and to a much great extent with Zero Dark Thirty is the media’s judgement of the film based solely on political agendas rather than any actual talk about the film itself, just on the issues they raise.

I have had Django Unchained on a disc for over two weeks now, but haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.

Maybe because they didn’t get their figurines!