Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

Quentin Tarantino has handed in the final draft of his spaghetti western script Django Unchained to Weinstein Co., his agency WME confirms. According to Tarantino Archives, the title Django Unchained pays homage to both the Sergio Corbucci original Django, not to mention Takashi Miike’s Sukiyaki Western Django, which features Tarantino. UPDATE: Another long-rumored inspiration, once optioned by Miramax, was Elmore Leonard’s 40 Lashes Less One.

The only cast member that WME can officially confirm is Christoph Waltz, who joins up with former slave Django to save his wife from an evil plantation owner. No start date or locations have been finalized. Original Django star Franco Nero has said he is attached, along with Waltz, Keith Carradine and Treat Williams.

Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (Christopher Waltz) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn’t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I’ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it’s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and you’ll get a sense of what he’s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononholly...ango_unchained/[/url]
http://www.slashfilm.com/is-this-the-title…ie/#more-103172[url]http://“http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2011/04/30/tarantino_find_a_title_django_unchained/”

Some old rumors:

First up is Quentin’s proposed adaptation of ’40 Lashes Less One.’ Based on the Elmore Leonard Western novel, the story centers around two prisoners who are facing a death sentence at Yuma prison. One is black and the other is an Apache halfbreed. They are given a chance for freedom in exchange for hunting down and killing the five, most notorious outlaws in the West.

That’s really cool news.

Came here to post the same thing. This is essentially the best possible news for a person with a username like mine. And maybe now I will finally be able to get my friends to watch Django!

I can’t believe he stole a screenplay from some kid who has the same name.

Talk about revisionist lol!

Django as a slave? Now I’ve seen it all.

I don’t like the idea to reuse the Django name. The name should rest in peace.

don’t know what to think to be honest. am not a tarantino fan but i did like “Inglouris Basterds” and i know he is a big fan of spaghetti westerns and it would be good to see one done now in the right way, but would he do it the right way? we’ll see if it comes off.

Quote:

Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (Christopher Waltz) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn’t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I’ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it’s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and you’ll get a sense of what he’s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.

I don’t know who’s responsible for this text, but if people start calling the man’s movies pure genius before he even made them, that’s a thing to worry about.

The plot outline doesn´t sound too great. A black Django however would be original. A white Django would make little sense in this case.
Funny enough I read everywhere that Tarantino is going to make a spaghetti western, but without Italian funding and/or locations this can of course not be true. Anyway, I hope the distributors smell money and are going to release loads of spaghetti westerns. And that’s about the best thing about this news. Of course it will all come down to the execution, but Tarantino is no Leone. In my opinion he failed in trying to be in Kill Bill 2 and Inglourious Basterds. If the film is going to be like that, I’ll probably dislike it like the case with those two. Also it is likely that there will be a shitload of recycled music, which he doesn’t seem to make work either.

I say bring it on. Any exposure or stylistic/musical nods to the 70s aesthetic I know and love is always welcome from Tarantino in my opinion!

Let Django rest and come up with a different named character.

Tarantino is no Leone of course but I’m really interested to see western from him. Maybe he could bring something new to the genre.

1 Like

I think the name is pretty weak. Mainly the unchained part. You’d have thought making a homage to the genre you’d think up a more suitable title

Wait until you see the product to judge, people.

Looking forward to it myself.

Someone has already imagined a possible poster… :slight_smile:

http://forum.nocturno.it/index.php?PHPSESSID=2eoh462oh4e81i4b9j4hbk0m95&topic=24395.30

If this is true then I can’t wait. If anyone can do the genre justice in these modern days it has to be QT.

To me it sounds awful.

With Machete we had “Kill the racist gringos.”

Now we’ll get “Kill the racist honkies.”

I guess next they’ll bring back Korano and update him to “Kill the racist infidels.”

Call it what it will be (at least in US theaters): a blaxploitation film with a western setting.

Please don’t call it an SW.

well thats the film effectevly ruined.

“welcome to the west” POW