Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

Well, QT has been making wonders with some actors but still… Will Smith… Argh!

“Jackson would play the house slave to the bad guy, Monsieur Calvin Candie.”

Hmmm… knowing QT’s derivativeness (is that word?) I suspect Monsieur Candie to be a sadistic, mannered Mark Damon in Requiscant-type.

It sounds like a bad choice to me, certainly far from the SW world…

I’m not gonna pass any judgment until I see the finished product.

[quote=“Major Clyde, post:19, topic:2720”]To me it sounds awful.

With Machete we had “Kill the racist gringos.”

Now we’ll get “Kill the racist honkies.”

I guess next they’ll bring back Korano and update him to “Kill the racist infidels.”

Call it what it will be (at least in US theaters): a blaxploitation film with a western setting.

Please don’t call it an SW.[/quote]

I agree 100%

Me also

And I liked Will Smith in Prince of Bel Air, of coure is no Jim Brown or Woody Stroode, but hey this is now and then was then. In any case SW where normally full of hate (all type of hate) films so

I don’t have anything against Will Smith, but he usually ends up playing a loud-mouth…

I am guessing Tarantino is only borrowing the character name Django, but if he plans to use that name for a smart-mouth gunslinger, My best opinion would be come up with a new name for the character.

But the good thing that has come out of this is that I have noticed most people have started taking more interest in SWs & mainly in Django films.

Tarantino once set out to remake Inglorious Bastards & ended up with something completely different & awesome.

Now, I am no Tarantino worshipper, but he does come up with a lot of surprises. So I am in a way excited to see this.
But I hope it has decent amount of gunfights, Inglorious Basterds hardly had any action scenes.

If Tarantino is making this film, then why didn’t he employ the services of Samuel L. Jackson instead?

Because he´s way too old for that type of role.

Will Smith is not the right choice, too Hollywood. I´d go for Michael Jai White, a more effective actor for such a part, with some badass charisma to go with it.

I like the use of the Django name. It’s a nice nod to fans of the genre.

The only thing that is a bit disappointing is that he’s decided to give the Django name to a character which is completely unlike Django.

This accurately sums up my own feelings, but let’s wait and see.

But he is a freed slave.

So he’s, you know, unchained. And his name is Django.

He’s Django unchained.

Django. Unchained.

How about Don Cheadle or Denzel Washington.

How about Dave Chappelle LOL Samuel L. Jackson and Denzel Washington are both a little too old for the part but I think Lawrence Fishburne is a very good actor (better than Will Smith imo) who could do it. Maybe he’s a bit too old for it too…Wesley Snipes maybe? I don’t know…anyone but Will Smith.

Djimon Hounsou.

First decent suggestion.

I like Idris Elba and Jamie Hector, both The Wire alumni. Also Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Wanted to name him too, but wasn’t able to remember his name nor how to write it. Frankly said, I have also no clue how to pronounce it (don’t say simply how it is written)

But remember, QT has the ability to get things from actors we never thought of. Maybe we will see a complete new side of Will Smith.

Yeah, well, Smith is capable of turning in a good performance. I thought he did incredibly well in Ali, for example. I just would rather see someone fresh, who doesn’t try so hard and doesn’t carry so much baggage.

LOL was that intended as a joke? Made me chuckle ;D No love for Fishburne, huh…maybe I’m biased since I loved him in the sci-fi stuff he’s done.

How About Dennis Rodman, (Mr T is too old) so its a SW why not, they could bring along Claude Van Damme et voilá perfect

Fishburn is way too fat meanwhile

Upon looking at some recent photos I’d have to say I’m forced to agree. I don’t watch CSI so I wasn’t aware.