Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

Stop scaring away people now ;).

Yeah. Itā€™s an addiction.
Our review for Portuguese speakers itā€™s now available here:

[quote=ā€œp.pereira, post:122, topic:148ā€]Yeah. Itā€™s an addiction.
Our review for Portuguese speakers itā€™s now available here:

http://por-um-punhado-de-euros.blogspot.com/2009/11/django-1966-realizador-sergio-corbucci.html[/quote]

Excellent work. Still difficult to read for me of course, but I found this text easier to understand than your previous review, A Bullet for the General, maybe because I know this movie better (Iā€™ve seen it at least half a dozen of times)

Strange that the Spanish DVD has an aspect ratio of 1,85:1; as far as I know the film was shot in 1,66:1 and many DVDs have a ratio of 1,78:1 (approx), in order to fill up the screen of a widescreen TV.

Django was most likely shot in 1.37:1 for 1,66:1 (not in 1,66:1). But DVD distributors prefer it in 1,78:1 or 1,85:1 to fill the complete 16:9 TV screen. So they only crop it a bit more on top and bottom and voila.

I assume itā€™s the same with the French Great Silence disc.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:123, topic:148ā€]Excellent work. Still difficult to read for me of course, but I found this text easier to understand than your previous review, A Bullet for the General, maybe because I know this movie better (Iā€™ve seen it at least half a dozen of times)

Strange that the Spanish DVD has an aspect ratio of 1,85:1; as far as I know the film was shot in 1,66:1 and many DVDs have a ratio of 1,78:1 (approx), in order to fill up the screen of a widescreen TV.[/quote]

Sorry about that, nevertheless I think your knowledge and availability to understand so many languages itā€™s meritorious.

About the aspect ratio, Stanton itā€™s right. I wouldnā€™t recommend this Filmax edition mainly because the cut scenes.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:124, topic:148ā€]Django was most likely shot in 1.37:1 for 1,66:1 (not in 1,66:1). But DVD distributors prefer it in 1,78:1 or 1,85:1 to fill the complete 16:9 TV screen. So they only crop it a bit more on top and bottom and voila.

I assume itā€™s the same with the French Great Silence disc.[/quote]

But thereā€™s a lot more info on the sides of the French Great Silence disc than the other releases and the vertical cropping is only slight.

Yeah, I know. I wish I had retained one of my full screen copies from VHS and TV.

Anybody here of the German members who has still the old rental VHS?

Yep,what do you want to know ?

Maybe you can check the image at the sides and on top and bottom and compare them to the DVD and the screenshots of the French DVD (which are somewhere in this forum).

If you have fun to do so ā€¦

Ok. So which release of Django is the best?

I canā€™t speak for others; but, I can say that the best one I have come across, personally, is the Blue Underground DVD, Region 1, US.

The same here,the BU release is the best
Not to forget that the English subtitles are similar to the original Italian audio
The box from Kinowelt is another good release with German audio

After measuring the German VHS has a AR 1.50 : 1
Next week iā€™ll check a few scenes for comparison

Coming in May from blue-underground 8)

Badass, makes me glad I hadnt bought the standard def releaseā€¦

(Quien Sabe next I hope?)

[quote=ā€œRififii, post:134, topic:148ā€]Badass, makes me glad I hadnt bought the standard def releaseā€¦

(Quien Sabe next I hope?)[/quote]I hope itā€™s Django Kill, Run man run and Mannaja next, then i can sell my box set :wink:

Yes Django Kill, but I can wait for a while for Mannaja and Run Man Runā€¦ Ugh, hate that they used the usual blu ray disc border on the caseā€¦ Its like putting a poster of Django on a bright blue wall, just doesnt work for this flick and other spaghettis to followā€¦

Just watch it Again

What a film. Corbucci was really a master . In my opinion the first scene, the cemitery scene from the Good The Bad and the Ugly, ans the initial scene from Cā€™era una volta il West, are the central cuore, the definition of SW

[quote=ā€œEl Topo, post:137, topic:148ā€]Just watch it Again

What a film. Corbucci was really a master . In my opinion the first scene, the semitery scene from the Good The Bad and the Ugly, ans the initial scene from Cā€™era una volta il West, are the central cuore, the definition of SW[/quote]

This firstly sounds well, but it is too easy I guess.

I feel like reviewing shortly :stuck_out_tongue:

Corbucciā€™s first hit (If I recall well, correct me if wrong) starts with a man dragging a coffin through landscape. Now that is something creepy I must admit, it is something so rare and great that it, besides the excellent theme song, made me love the movie at the first view.

We also got Franco Nero, a hell of a gunfighter, the one who donā€™t speak much, but shoots hell of the bandits. I mean, there you have revenge, greed, loveā€¦ It is an all in one, and unique. No wonder so many tried to copy it. Hell even Milian had a Django(-like) roleā€¦ Tomas Milian, yeah, the Vasco/Yellow/Cuchillo dude. So yeah, it was an inspiration.

It ends uniquely as well (Terence Hill had almost the same ending in his movie), with Django being hand-broken yet managing to fulfill his revenge.

Now the only thing I did not like about this - is his official sequel ā€œDjango Strikes Again!ā€. Now that is something completely retarded, and with all right called the Spaghetti Rambo II.

What else to say besides *****

Milianā€™s Django isnā€™t one.
It was only titled in foreign versions Django Kill, but the film itself doesnā€™t use the Django word. Milian is only called the stranger.