Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

Yourā€™re right about that. Django is for sure no Zapata western.

This is my first post here on the forum.

I guess you could say that Iā€™m sort of new to Spaghetti Westerns but not really as I had seen both For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly before re-watching them recently.

As far as Django goes, though, I plead guilty to never having known about this film before jumping into this genre with both feet about two months ago.

This movie gets a lot of great reviews and rightly so.

I think my only sticking point with it, the thing that makes me only able to give it four stars instead of five, is the brevity of the film.

It seems like everything goes by at whirlwind speed, which can sometimes be a good thing.

In the case of Django, I wish it had taken a deep breath every now and again.

Donā€™t get me wrong.

Everything that happens in this film was beautifully done. I especially love the ear communion scene with the rat bastard priest (just for the fact that you know, as soon as you see it, youā€™re watching something different) and the hand-crushing sequence, which really puts Django in jeopardy and, for a brief moment, youā€™re unsure if heā€™s going to make it out of the movie alive.

I just wish Corbucci had taken his time with it.

This being my first (only, thus far) Corbucci, maybe someone else can tell me whether this is the way that Corbucci worked or not.

All in all, I still love the film.

Sometime yes, sometimes no. Companeros for example can go a little slow for some. Heā€™s more famous for the inconsistency in his movies. BTW, CG, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum CG. I hope you will enjoy the crazy world of Spaghetti Westerns! And if you do, thereā€™s always gialli to watch tooā€¦

A lot of good points,i love this one,too.
What have been if Corbucci took more time,an interesting question.
Maybe in the middle of the movie he could conceive something more,but not much.
Itā€™s a masterpiece of the SW.
Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Alex Coxā€™s new book and WAI #67 point out that Nero is actually dubbed in Italian by Sergio Graziano.

Blue Undergroundā€™s claim that their release has Franco Neroā€™s own voice must be wrong.

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:106, topic:148ā€]Alex Coxā€™s new book and WAI #67 point out that Nero is actually dubbed in Italian by Sergio Graziano.

Blue Undergroundā€™s claim that their release has Franco Neroā€™s own voice must be wrong.[/quote]

I believed he was dubbed to sound olderā€¦

I have never heard the Italian audio, but Giusti says so and voice actors are quite common in Italy, far more than in any other country I know

The original English dub of Neroā€™s voice was rumoured to have been by actor Fred Ward, but Iā€™ve never seen that confirmed.

I wonder why Fred Ward never appeared in any SWā€™s. He wouldā€™ve been perfect for it.

Really? I canā€™t hear the similarity myself.

And yes, Fred Ward would have been cool.

From his IMDB filmography it looks like he pretty much started acting just as the SW genre died out. :frowning:

Yup, this is confirmed in WAI #67

According to WAI #67, it was done by Tony Russelhttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm0750968/ (misspelled with two 'lā€™s)

Thatā€™s insane. This whole time, I thought that was Francoā€™s voice.

Classic quote! I love that scene in the movie.

sean[quote=ā€œFrank Talby, post:82, topic:148ā€]One of my favoritesā€¦ Nero is perfectly cast in it. Everyone in it does a great job.

favorite lines (when Django first meets Jacksonā€™s men at the bridge)

ā€œTaking it out on women doesnā€™t look good.ā€
ā€œWhat did you say?ā€
ā€œIt doesnā€™t matter. What does matter is you are about to die.ā€[/quote]

Welcome to the forum ITGIALLO!

Such a great movie.Ive been known to say that some movies changed my life and DJANGO is one of them.It was my first SW and I just said ā€œwhat the hellā€ and d/l it and it was golden from the opening cedits.The credits were so vivid like blood,almost cartoonish.Ok so onto the movie. ;D Django is the man! Hes a badass to no end.The coffin he pulls behind him.The gatlin gun! The antagonistā€™s are great also.Maj. Jackson is the man.The hooded guys.The dreary town,it all fits in to a great SW.

Long Live Django!

sean

[quote=ā€œSilence, post:116, topic:148ā€]Welcome to the forum ITGIALLO![/quote]Thank you.I look forward to viewing many more SWā€™S I have only saw Django and Fistful of Dollars.

sean

[quote=ā€œITGIALLO, post:118, topic:148ā€]Thank you.I look forward to viewing many more SWā€™S I have only saw Django and Fistful of Dollars.

sean[/quote]
Enjoy the ride. Start with the top 20 & alt top 20. Welcome to the forum. BTW, once you enter, we donā€™t allow you to leave. :wink:

ahhā€¦ to look on the spaghetti world with virgin eyes againā€¦