Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

Yeah, I know, I only listed him for he was listed among most famous Django impersonators (containing word Django in its title) :slight_smile:

Django is awesome! Despite ripping on the Yojimbo base story a bit, itā€™s so original otherwise and quite impressive.

I just posted my review on my blog, check it out!

Decided to give to movie a second spin last night since iā€™ve recently purchased the blu ray. And i have to say i enjoyed it even more the second time around. The opening scene of Django dragging his coffin through the mud accompanied by the memorable soundtrack is such an iconic moment in spaghetti western history, itā€™s just instantly burned into your mind.

Of course a large part of the success can be attributed to Franco Nero who makes an excellent spaghetti western hero with his rough looking babyface. In some way i even find his character (and face) more iconic then Eastwood in the Leone pictures. Corbucci keeps the plot simple and plain which allows for plenty of great action sequences, especially the machine gun massacre of Jacksonā€™s troops is pretty spectacular as well as the nail biting finale in the graveyard. I also prefer the cold, muddy an dirty look of the movie, something which became sort of Corbucciā€™s trademark along the way. To be honest i couldnā€™t find any real faults while watching the movie last night.

Itā€™s fast paced, has great action sequences, iconic characters and a killer soundtrack. For me this movie ranks up there with the great like ā€œThe Good, The Bad and the Uglyā€ and ā€œOnce Upon a Time in the Westā€. Unlike most i also have a soft spot for itā€™s rambo rip-off sequel which came along years later. But thatā€™s a whole other story. :slight_smile:

Me too! Its underrated. Although I donā€™t really consider it an official sequel. Will probably give Django another spin on my player within the next week or so as well.

Sounds good. Iā€™m gonna have to track down that sequel. I like Django, I like Ramboā€¦Iā€™m sold.

The film that really got me on Spaghetti Westerns, I had seen A fistful of dollars & for a few dollars more when i was 18-20 but when I saw Django last year I was hooked (im now 22) This inspired me to watch more spaghetti westerns the whole film is fantastic I dont really see any flaws (I know there are some) I think not have a big budget saves films sometime one of my all time favorite films is low budget (Evil Dead 2)

The film opens with our anti-hero dragging a coffin through sloppy wet mud with a beautiful Elvis type ballad song and when he gets to the town you really know hes gona kick some assā€¦

Franco is a great Lead Man & its sad that hollywood didnā€™t really do much with him I bought Die Hard 2 on blu-ray a few months ago just because he was in it but hes only in it for like 10-15 minutes but all the scenes he was in were fantastic (like when he smokes his cigar) he should of been main villian with more screen timeā€¦

ALL UP its a great film (from reading comics from an early age & enjoying the concept of vigilantes the film is alot like a comic even with DJANGO having his own theme song) when he first pulls out the machine gun to when he gets his revenge with his broken hands Its the most beautiful end scene I have seen in a film its almost like a matt painting or something (if anyone knows that would be great)

[quote=ā€œnatos99, post:146, topic:148ā€][/quote]such a beautiful shot.

It is indeed beautiful - possibly one of the most iconic images amongst us.
As Iā€™ve mentioned somewhere - I have this as my screensaver on the tv. Itā€™s almost worth going to get another cider from the fridge just to know itā€™ll welcome me back.

A really great picture. I donā€™t have ciderā€¦ maybe a Grappa will do it?

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:148, topic:148ā€]It is indeed beautiful - possibly one of the most iconic images amongst us.
As Iā€™ve mentioned somewhere - I have this as my screensaver on the tv. Itā€™s almost worth going to get another cider from the fridge just to know itā€™ll welcome me back.[/quote]

yeh its a fantastic shot I just watched the scene again (I dont know why I thought it was a painting but it sure as hell is art) amazing I wonder how long it took them to set the shot up because it pans up then down behind the cross for the final shotā€¦

Guess thatā€™s why it gets to be in the New York Museum of Modern Art!

For me, it is wonderfully shot until the arrival of the Mexican bandits. From then on it is pretty formulaic until the final shootout when shots like the above once again make it really stand out.

Wow really whats it called there the peice of art ?
is it the last frame from the film ?

Unfortunately thatā€™s true.

[quote=ā€œnatos99, post:152, topic:148ā€]Wow really whats it called there the peice of art ?
is it the last frame from the film ?[/quote]

Iā€™ve never seen it myself, but have just read about it being there. I think it is a scene from the film that is played over and over, but am not sure.

Iā€™m going to be in New York for a day next week so I might try to check it out if I have the chance.

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:154, topic:148ā€]Iā€™ve never seen it myself, but have just read about it being there. I think it is a scene from the film that is played over and over, but am not sure.

Iā€™m going to be in New York for a day next week so I might try to check it out if I have the chance.[/quote]

Youā€™ll have to keep us posted on that one my brother just got back from New York Iā€™ll have to ask him if he saw itā€¦

Arrived there just before closing time and there was a 20 dollar entrance fee so I gave it a miss :(. Maybe next time when I have more timeā€¦

I finally watched this last night. I had seen all SBWā€™s from Essential top-10 already except this and the Mercenary, so i thought that it was Djangoā€™s turn now. This was a great SW classic from the start till the end, Franco Nero does his role amazingly and he may be the best guy to play this character. The violence and the gunfights were also nicely done, reminded me The Wild Bunch (now i can clearly see from where did Sam Peckinpah take his influence 8) ), typical Corbucci style which i love. There were romantic scenes too, which made this film touching in some ways (when they shoot Maria and Django sees it for example). The theme song is very catchy and other musical effects were great too. This may not be the most complex SW, but i still liked it a lot altough this isnā€™t the best Corbucci western (to me the Great Silence is the one).

4 / 5 stars.

Next up: Keoma maybe? :slight_smile:

I have seen the Original Django movieā€¦
Would like few suggestions for the restā€¦ which ones should I watch & which ones are to be avoided.

Thanks.

[quote=ā€œgenesis_pig, post:158, topic:148ā€]I have seen the Original Django movieā€¦
Would like few suggestions for the restā€¦ which ones should I watch & which ones are to be avoided.

Thanks.[/quote]

Iā€™m doing things this way Genesis, grab all you can put your hands on it, wacht them, and then judge by yourself, who knows you might end up to like the Fidanis ;D :wink:

if youā€™re asking for other ā€˜Django moviesā€™:

Iā€™d start with Diecimila dollari per un massacro ($ 10.000 for a Massacre):
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/10.000_dollari_per_un_massacro
Often called the best ā€˜false Django sequelā€™ (thereā€™s no Django in the title, but the protagonist is called Django)

Also a must see: Django il Bastardo
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_il_bastardo
A rather unique movie, but not everybody likes it

And finally: Django Kill/If you live ā€¦ Shoot!
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Se_sei_vivo_spara
The most outrageous and surreal of all spaghettis

And like El Topo says: always judge for yourself !