Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

In many cases, due to lack of space and in consideration of the viewersā€™ reading speed, subtitles render a shortened or condensed version of a filmā€™s dialogue. The above example shows that in the case of Django the German subtitles do not follow the Italian dub but are a variant of the German dialogue.

But wait, thereā€™s a difference between the subs of the old DVD and the newer Blu/DVD.
The older one has indeed only dub subs, but the newer one has, just like I said, the Italian translation. Cause this one has the cruxifixion dialogue correctly translated.

Actually that was the only reason I bought this Blu, and I was surprised that these subs were much closer to the German dub than expected.

Which Blu-ray are you referring to, stanton? The Studiocanal release or the one from ā€™84 Entertainment? I have the DVD that is included in Django ā€“ die Trilogie from Studiocanal.

The one from Studiocanal, but as far as I know the 84 Entertainment one contains the same disc, only a more expensive packaging.

I have also the old Studiocanal DVD, and the subs are definitely not the same.

I never thought about that ending, but it definitely works. It should be a bleak ending. In a sense, Django gets weaker and weaker as the movie progresses. In a weird way, I was slightly disappointed that gets the bad guys in the end.

1 Like

Congrats to @Divy for an excellent new review of the movie:

Thanks @Admin

Any remarks, feedback would be welcome

The BBFC website has a very interesting account of Djangoā€™s censorship travails in the UK, including a podcast discussion and original documents for download. I knew it was banned when first submitted but had no idea it was rejected again in the 70s.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/case-studies/django-1967

3 Likes

Cast pics added to the credits page.

3 Likes

Anyone who knows if the Arrow blu-ray released in USA/Canada is region free?

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format. Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

Agree wholeheartedly about the poor English dubbing. As well as the ending, the scene in which Django has his hands smashed by Miguel is virtually silent dialogue wise in the English audio but in the Italian audio Miguel abuses him constantly calling a bastard and cursing him several times as he crushes his hands with the rifle butt. The overall effect is to make the Italian version of this scene far nastier than the English one.

It seems a lot of the dialogue differences were to tone down swearing and blasphemy.

I felt the hand crushing scene was Corbucciā€™s response to Fisful of Dollars. In Fistful, the villains beat-up No Name but they donā€™t touch his gun hand much (and stub a cigar out on his left hand). Corbucci wants to go further and have his hero damaged beyond repair. But he can still gun down Jackson.

Then of course after this the massive army of 20 revolutionaries/bandits go off to invade Mexico and get swiftly killed. And Major Jackson who hates Mexicans has hidden his treasure with them and rides with the Mexican army.

I liked the minimalist mud baked town. Itā€™s empty apart from a saloon full of prostitutes. No need for any extras.

I was puzzled over the dates - Mercedes Zaroā€™s headstone said either 1869 or 1886 I wasnā€™t sure which but the one off to the side had 1873. Even with 1869 itā€™s a bit late for Django to be returning from the civil war. It makes him a bit like Ethan Edwards - and I thought the last shot in which he disappears through the hole in the cemetery entrance was like The Searchers.

3 Likes

Re-watched this one last night for the wild west challenge 2023 on letterboxd Iā€™m taking part in for task number 23, watch a spaghetti western!

This is probably the one spaghetti western Iā€™ve re-watched the most times since I first saw it around like 2016 or 2017!

Its just everything cool about the genre distilled down to a tight bloody 90 minutes, and hot take but this is a better western remake of Kurosawaā€™s ā€œYojimboā€(1961) then a ā€œfistful of dollarsā€ is! (fistful of dollars is good too btw)

So it was nice re-watching this one again after a couple of years!

2 Likes

Today I tried using ChatGPT for the second time in my life. Interested in how ā€œcreativeā€ it can be, I asked it to writhe a sequel to Django. This is what he wrote:
Title: ā€œDjango Unleashedā€

Plot Summary:
Set several years after the events of the original ā€œDjangoā€ (1966), ā€œDjango Unleashedā€ follows the continued journey of the iconic gunslinger, Django (played by Franco Nero). Django has become a legendary figure, known for his deadly skills and unwavering pursuit of justice.

The story begins when Django receives news that his long-lost love, Maria, has been kidnapped by a notorious gang led by the ruthless outlaw, Blackheart. Determined to rescue Maria and bring down the gang, Django embarks on a perilous quest across the lawless frontier.

Along the way, Django encounters a diverse group of allies who share his desire for justice. He joins forces with a sharpshooting Native American warrior named Red Hawk, a skilled knife thrower named Isabella, and a former slave turned bounty hunter named Marcus. Together, they form an unlikely but formidable team.

As Django and his companions navigate treacherous landscapes and confront dangerous adversaries, they uncover a larger conspiracy. Blackheart and his gang are involved in a grand scheme to control the regionā€™s resources and exploit the local population. Their plan threatens to plunge the entire territory into chaos and suffering.

Driven by a burning desire for vengeance and fueled by his unwavering moral compass, Django leads his team in a series of intense gunfights, daring heists, and strategic assaults against Blackheartā€™s gang. Along the way, Django faces personal demons from his past and grapples with the sacrifices he must make to achieve justice.

As Djangoā€™s journey reaches its climax, he confronts Blackheart in a final, epic showdown. The battle tests Djangoā€™s resolve and pushes him to his limits, but with the support of his allies, he unleashes his full fury, determined to save Maria and bring an end to the tyranny of Blackheart.

In ā€œDjango Unleashed,ā€ the themes of justice, redemption, and the fight against oppression are explored in the gritty and violent world of the spaghetti western. The film pays homage to the original while expanding upon Djangoā€™s character and the legacy he leaves behind.

Note: This fictional sequel is not based on any official plans or announcements. It is created solely for the purpose of imaginative storytelling.

Clearly it can gather info, and in this case it has given us a film with traditional spaghetti tropes. However, despite this being an adequate ā€œscriptā€ (I know it isnĀ“t a script, more like a plot summary), there is nothing unique here, only recycled elements. While every film, hell, every artist borrows something from others, there is nothing unique in this plot. For good films, AI are not going to write creative scrips. Sure, you can follow the formula for superhero movies, but not for creative ones. CorbucciĀ“s Django borrows a lot from other films, but is entirely unique. For instance, Django has a character dragging a coffin with a machine gun! While this plot summary doesnĀ“t delve deep into the plot of Django Unleased, there is clearly not a lot of actually creative things ChatGPT can do.
(By the way, sorry if I posted it in the wrong thread)

I will add some more Amazon links as they become available
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django/BluRay#UK

Happy Django UK 4K release day

Here is a review

2 Likes

In addition to the on-disc extras, the included booklet is also a great read with contributions from Nero himself as well as assorted other academics.

In view of Franco Neroā€™s previous academic examination of his own work ā€“ ā€œFranco Nero + Corbucci = successā€ (Ā© aldo) ā€“ I can hardly wait to read this. :grinning:

1 Like

Pretty great it seems, thatā€™s good. Seems like itā€™s more or less just the Arrow transfer but with no HDR and a few minor improvements. Iā€™ll probably go for the Arrow release if I ever upgrade from their standard blu ray but itā€™s nice to have an option here in the UK too.

1 Like