Django and Sartana’s Showdown in the West / Arrivano Django e Sartana … è la fine (Demofilo Fidani, 1970)

Just posted my buddy’s review of this one. I watched it as well, it’s pretty bad. At least all the crazy things Gordon Mitchell does as the villian are fun to watch, but I was expecting Django and Sartana to be together more.

Check out the review!

Watched the German DVD last night and i was kind of scared after having watched the dissapointing Wild East double bill DVD last month. Luckily this is one of the better Fidani movies IMO. Of course “better” is a relative term in the Fidani universe since his overall output is shoddy at best.

The highlight here is Gordon Mitchell’s over the top performance. He’s chewing up the scenery like there is no tomorrow. The most mind baffling scene must be where his character plays cards against himself in the mirror and starts getting angry at himself. A fellow gang member replies with a straight and serious face “You should teach him a lesson”… WTF?!? Tears almost started rolling down my face from all the laughing during that hilarious scene.

The story is pretty much non existent. It’s basically about Django and Sartana chasing the group bandits to save a farmer’s daughter. It’s here that we discover another weird flaw in the movie. They kidnapp the farmer’s daughter, played of course by Simone Blondell, so they can escape to Mexico. But why kidnap a girl if all you wanna do is escape to the border? Makes little sense if you ask me. But that’s Fidani for ya!

Of course we have our cardboard cactus trees which can be spotted in several scenes. You could almost make a drinking game out of spotting those cheap ass cactus trees. The running time of 80 minutes is padded out with several useless poker and horse riding scenes like in most Fidani’s. The action scenes are okay being typical over the top Fidani acrobatic exercises with people flying all over the place. The finale also includes some inserted stock footage from another unkown western which stick out like a sore thumb.

It might seem like i’m putting this movie down but i felt entertained for most of the 80 minutes. It’s no masterpiece but there are certainly worse ways to spend your time as a SW fan. :wink:

Just re viewed this one as managed to get a better version. Most of all loads of horse riding scenes. Closely followed by, er loads of fist fights and gunfights. Few interesting slow motion bits. Most of all is Gordon Mitchell having arguments with himself in the mirror…excellent stuff. Not the best I have seen by the director, but still huge loads of fun.

OMG - what a remarkable crappy contribution to the demise of the Italowestern-genre. This was my first Fidani and I really wonder if this one is one of his better movies. Still have to watch “barrel full of dollars”, maybe enjoyable with lots of beer, at least Klaus Kinski seems to be on it.

Anyone happen to have any screenshots for the German DVD release of this?

Wondering how it will compare to the upcoming US Shout! release… which hopefully will not be the TV recording with the channel 7 watermark

Managed to find some… hopefully this new US release matches the quality

Hm, looks better than my print - are you sure that your pics derive from the German Cent Entertainment release?

Here are my thoughts on the Timeless Media release from 10kBullets!

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/d/django-double-feature-a-man-called-django-w-django-and-sartanas-showdown-in-the-west/

Can you spot the tire tracks ? :o ??? ;D

When I saw this for the first time I thought it was one of the worst and most boring sw’s I’ve seen. After rewatching i can gladly say I was wrong. This movie is fun! Ok, there’s hardly any plot and there’s enough horseriding scenes to drive you crazy. Both Django and Sartana are introduced to us by showing them just riding around, doing nothing. The scene with Django in the ghost town with frogs and crazy old man doesn’t have any purpose but it’s a cool scene with eerie feel.
Then we have lots of Fidani style action and strange scenes. I especially loved scene where Django is playing poker and after noticing he’s being cheated he just shoots the men right away. Every scene with Gordon Mitchell is pure pleasure, he’s playing poker with himself, playing with two winchesters in a bed making shooting sounds and other crazy stuff. And of course this all ends in the usual gravel pit fight where everyone is falling from cliffs and making jumps and twirls when shot. You can also see Sartana and Django both killing same guy with yellow pants and blue shirt.

Great entertainment! 3/5 stars.

Glad you have seen the light Bill :slight_smile: …yes great fun !

I have to agree with everything Brother Bill says above. Great fun - 3 stars.
The good bits…
Gordon Mitchell! 8)
The music is suitably spaghetti and very good - trumpets, guitar etc. - except when it’s doing the horse riding ‘rat-tat-tat’ standard stuff (which is quite a lot).
Simone looks ravishing in her leather bodice. ::slight_smile:
There’s lots of attention to inconsequential background detail - kids running, leafrogging etc. that I like, and shows that Sir Spitfire isn’t just doing the quickest and cheapest shot available, despite his ‘hack’ reputation.
Unlike Brother Stanton, I think the fisticuffs are well choreographed - not overly long and gratuitous - and some of the shootingy bits are quite suspenseful. The acrobatics and groany twirly bits are greatly exaggerated and just great. The reappearance of some of my favorite cacti at regular intervals made me smile. :slight_smile:
Bill’s observation of the same blokes, recognisable by their trousers, getting shot more than once leads me to possibly understand why the blokes trying to beat Sartana to death wear masks (when there is absolutely no need to) - is probably because they’ve already been killed elsewhere?
So there is an obvious lack of spondoolies at work at times, but despite some apparent lapses of reason storywise, this is a pretty well made film that certainly entertains when the optimum amount of cider has been imbibed… which it had! Great fun!

Are the slow motion death scenes during the “showdown” lifted from another film? They look completely out of place.

Also, the English dub changing the characters around was confusing. Hunt Powers is clearly supposed to be Sartana, but everyone calls him Django.

All in all this was ‘bad-fun’, Gordon Mitchell steals the show as Burt Kelly with a performance that is truly turned all the way to 11, and Simone Blondel couldn’t act to save her life but oh my is she pretty. I also love how the film is presented by, written by, and produced by Demofilo Fidani, but directed by ‘Dick Spitfire’ a name that truly is too good to be true.

Hunt Powers plays Django in three SWs directed by Fidani: One Damned Day at Dawn … Django meets Sartana, this one and Reach You Bastard a.k.a. The Django Story :wink:

Then he beats Nero and should officially be called the Real Django … :wink:

Are you sure? With him playing the black clad gambler and all I always assumed that Powers was Sartana and Borelli was supposed to be Django, but then it got mixed up when they dubbed it because Powers had already played Django in other films.

Yes, I am sure.

The pieces in slow motion are from The Four Who Came to Kill Sartana. And do not forget that even the Fidani-proposed alternative Sartana played by Jeff Cameron in two consecutive films is completely different from the original… :wink:

Finally got a copy of the double feature Timeless Media disc, here’s some screenshots since I still haven’t seen any fullsized ones out there

Slim story (bandits take a hostage to help get them and their stolen bullion over the border. Cue Django and Sartana to sort it out. The end) with a fantastically manic bad guy who likes to play with himself (oo-er, missus!) at cards in front of a mirror and scream at himself when he cheats. Film was dreadfully padded out with shots of people riding here, or there, or any bloody where, and with a card game that seemed to go on and on (although I’ve seen worse in “genuine” Sartana movies), to such a degree that the whole thing started to drag a bit through the middle of the film, and that’s NEVER a good sign in a movie that’s only a shade over an hour-and-a-quarter long. Still, it wasn’t all that bad in a no-brainer sort of way. The labyrinthine, twisty-turny plots often so beloved of Spags was absent and that’s no bad thing, once in awhile. And at least the main protagonists were actually supposed (I think) to be Django and Sartana rather than having these names tacked on much later, even though - to me - Django looked a bit “sartanatastic” and Sartana looked a bit “Djangolicious”.

There is a scene when Hunt Powers walks through abandoned town and he meets old mexican guy.

This guy looks exactly like Fernando Sancho, don’t you think? (but I know that it can’t be him)