Degueyo (Giuseppe Vari, 1966)

I watched this one this morning on Film & Clips Western Movies. It’s the first time I’ve seen this one and, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Not a classic by any means, but an enjoyable little western.

It has left me wondering though what became of actress Rosy Zichell. She has a total of six credits listed with the last two being this one then, one of my favorites, Hole in the Forehead. I thought she was intriguing in both.

1 Like

I was curious of how Dan Vadis performed and had to wait over a half hour. I liked his face and character in The Stranger Returns (8/10) but his entrance in this SW was not impressing so I gave up after 38 minutes. Horrible music during the wild shootings after the first half hour (but good promising opening trumpet music) and a rather boring American style first half hour emphasized my negative impression of Degueyo as long or short I lasted.

Cheap looking film, here Vari does not make the best out of his limited budgets like in his later Spags.

The storytelling is often crude, as is often the editing, as is often the use of the score, and of course Rossi-Stuart is again a bland lead. But his lack of charisma is out-balanced by the other 3 actors of the rescue quartet and an again convincing Dan Vadis as the brutish baddie.

Overall with its feverish brutality it works pretty well, and is better than its shortcomings might suggest. 6/10

Deguello has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2023 thread:

In a way it’s a very Mediterranean, very melodramatic presentation of a variation of the core Mag7 idea, in that a group of fighters end up defending a small town against a Mexican gang.

The look is pretty much spot on, and the cast is mostly well picked. The biggest disappointment for me was the final confrontation after Ramon and his men have entered the town (the lead-up to there was nice). Apart from the interesting and necessary explanation of the Garrone - Ghia situation, it seemed to drag on and on, and yet another person appears from somewhere with the chance to kill Ramon but fails, only with music yet another notch more dramatic, while our injured main hero completely disappears. It almost felt like he intentionally waited until really everybody else was killed before he decided to step into the ring.

1 Like

This is just boring and the budget or Stuart are not really to blame. The screenplay and its realization suck.