Degueyo (Giuseppe Vari, 1966)

A bandit called Ramon and his gang are looking for hidden treasure in a town. The men folk of the town are held hostage and / or killed. This only leaves the women and children in the town who look for the treasure in order to give to the bandits. Four men arrive in town who are looking for Ramon agree to protect the town from the bandits.

A bunch of different characters kept me we watching in between the action, with Ramon played by Dan Vadis being my favourite character as he is a mean spirited kind of fella who does not discriminate who he kills.

Giuseppe Variā€™s first foray into the genre is styled like a classic US Western but is very much a transitional title. The siege scenario and the blandness of Giacomo Rossi-Stuartā€™s hero (I really canā€™t warm to that actor at all, certainly not in lead roles) belong to an earlier era, while Dan Vadisā€™ over-the-top bandido points towards new-fangled European excess.

Itā€™s OK, with the strength of some of the secondary performances - especially Daniele Vargas, JosĆ© Torres and Riccardo Garrone as the other principal good guys - compensating for Rossi-Stuartā€™s stolidity. Actually, itā€™s one of those films where communal endeavour triumphs rather than lone heroism - just as well, as Rossi-Stuart is incapacitated halfway through and proves of little use.

Possible spoiler: one particularly daft scene early on has Rossi-Stuart, who has ridden into town after bandits have killed his father on their ranch, break up a fistfight in the saloon before casually announcing the murder to the sheriff, almost like an afterthought. Very sloppy writing.

I wouldnā€™t count Deguejo to the circle of early SWs, which were to greater parts still inspired in a negative way by US b-picture standards.

For me this is a ā€œrealā€ Spagie. Characters, dialogues, costumes, motivations are typical SW, as is the violent action. If my memories of the film do not betray me.

Not an early SW, no; as I said, itā€™s a transitional title, one of many clustered around the period 1965-66 to be inspired equally by the established concept of a ā€˜Westernā€™ (ie American) and the crazy stuff that guys like Leone were trying.

Watch it again and see what you think.

This is definitely one of the most boring SW iā€™ve ever seen.

1 Like

Pretty entertaining, little B-Western ! Plot is not very original but the good cast makes up for itā€¦

Daniele Vargas as a good guy ??? ā€¦ I thought I would never experience that.

Dan Vadis as Ramon looks and acts like a cheap Gian-Maria VolontĆØ ripoff but is equally viciousā€¦

All in all: Entertaining but nothing special and just average.

Based on luke warm reviews of this film I went into it expecting little but was very happily surprised.
It is, as mentioned above, something of a mix in terms of style between the traditional and European but, as the story progresses, it gets progressively nastier and wound up being a very enjoyable ride for me.
Vadis in particular, without giving any real depth to his character, (to be fair he doesnā€™t have many lines in which to do that) is nevertheless a stand out performance. Possibly my favourite of his to date in the genre. His Ramon is downright nasty, not only killing indescriminately but doing it up close and dirty whenever possible. Men, women, in the back or whilst holding them by the scruff of the neck, heā€™ll shoot anything anywhere any time which is just as a proper Mexican bandito chief should be his excesses lift the whole thing above what could easily have turned into a blandish b picture. He also delivers a nice, extended and writhing death scene which I always enjoy. In the end the whole thing becomes almost Shakespearian in its blood letting with every major character bar one winding up in the dust. Which is another feature that always satisfies. So, all in all, a much better experience than I expected and well worth its time.

I watched a download of this taken from Italian TV and although it was fandubbed into English I could only copy it onto disc with the first (Italian) audio track. (I use Nero for this) Annoying but not a difficult film to understand in Italian and Iā€™d rather watch it that way on my TV than on my computer in English. Does anyone else have these problems when copying downloaded files onto disc? It has happened to me on a few occasions and is sometimes more frustrating than it was here.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:7, topic:1716ā€]I watched a download of this taken from Italian TV and although it was fandubbed into English I could only copy it onto disc with the first (Italian) audio track. (I use Nero for this) Annoying but not a difficult film to understand in Italian and Iā€™d rather watch it that way on my TV than on my computer in English. Does anyone else have these problems when copying downloaded files onto disc? It has happened to me on a few occasions and is sometimes more frustrating than it was here.[/quote]I use program called ConvertXtoDVD. Easy to use, faster than Nero and I never had problem including dual audio layers or subtitles.

I remember this one very fondly - in fact it could make my alternative top 20 next time - it certainly needs another viewing.
Danny boy is indeed ā€œdownright nastyā€ and I remember his demise being mentioned in the ā€œbest deathsā€ thread.
I also remember tickling Romaineā€™s funnybone when I mentioned the underwealmingness of the mountain rescue - as we have to climb higher hills in west yorkshire to get to the shops.

Iā€™ll have a look at the quality of my dvd Phil - can always bring one down nexttime Londonway?

Cheers Bill. Iā€™ll give it a try.

Iā€™ve had the same problems.

There are two solutions: connect your PC directly to the TV, or watch the thing on your PC
I bought myself an easy chair a while ago, and found a nice corner in the house where I can install myself with my chair and PC. Once youā€™re a bit accustomed to it, itā€™s very comfortable. I also have this direct-connection-to-TV possibility, but watch the downloads most of the time in my private corner

Thanks, chameleon! :wink:
Iā€™ll do it in a minute.

No problem! :smiley:

Theyā€™re watermarked. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a good idea to add them.

Iā€™ve already done this.
Well, I can ask Seb to remove them from database.
At the moment, Iā€™ve removed it from the site with Pictures.

If you look more carefully at those pictures, youā€™ll see little sign: ivid.it.

Very good image quality (see link below, penultimate post) for the version that was recently broadcast on RaiMovie, but thereā€™s a slight problem: if for some unknown reason the introductory scene is placed immediately after the title sequence showing Norman travelling to town - and that is the case here - the opening on the whole is obviously less effective.

[url]Degueyo - Giuseppe Vari - 1966

I noticed this version was uploaded in Cinemageddon as well. I havenā€™t downloaded it yet.

Just viewed this one agian via the new fandub at CG. Never noticed before but the Ramon characters voice sounds a bit out of place on the english dub. Yes there is violent action in this one, but the story I am not sure on at times. Perhaps a little padded out. But the main character is a good one, and their are a few plot turns to keep you interested.

Had not watched it before and was pleasantly surprised by this early spagh
No Top 20 material, but better than average and with a great Dan Vadis

degueyo-118246529-large

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Deguejo_Film_Review

1 Like