Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

[quote=“stanton, post:120, topic:172”]Silly title for me. Never understood it myself. Mostly the english titles are very close to the italian ones.
I would like to skip this title and call it Man to Man.[/quote]

Somehow I think “Man to Man” sounds even worse LOL!

Do not understand the meaning of the title myself and that is why I like it.

There are so many SW titles that don’t seem to make sense.

If you meet sartana, pray for your death.

1. Does this mean that you should hope to die when you meet him?
  2. Or does it mean pray for salvation once he kills you? (I think its probably this)

Dead men don’t count

1. Does this mean Dead people are poor at mathematics?
  2. Or does it mean that dead people are of so little significance that they simply “don’t count”?

Death rides a horse:

1. I think this title is referring to the book of revelations, the four horsemen, and simply sounds cool as a title but doesn’t really have anything to do with the plot or characters of the movie.
  2. Or it can refer to Cleef or JPL riding a horse and killing people.

The Big Gundown

1. Which “Gundown” is the title refering too? There are several “gundowns” in this film and neither is more “big” than the other.
1 Like

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:123, topic:172”]The Big Gundown

1. Which “Gundown” is the title refering too? There are several “gundowns” in this film and neither is more “big” than the other.[/quote]

True. And what’s more one of them is more of a Big Knifedown :smiley:

The difference for me is that TBG and DRaH are inventions of the english or american distributor.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:123, topic:172”]Death rides a horse:

1. I think this title is referring to the book of revelations, the four horsemen
  2. Or it can refer to Cleef or JPL riding a horse and killing people.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts or a combination of these two… does anybody know the answer?

I think it’s just a title they could have used for nearly every other SW.

The 4 horsemen? For this the films should have an apocalyptic feeling, which it hasn’t.

If there is any sense, then maybe it’s a reference to LvC with his skull charm.

But believe me, it’s not as worse as many german titles.

Yeah all of these SW titles are interchangeable. You couldn’ve switched titles with “Massacre Time” or “God Forgives, I don’t” and it wouldn’t make any difference.

ANd its interesting that the Americans are just as guilty of awkward sounding names as the italians, who at least have an excuse of not having english as their first language.

Btw, this is another title that perplexes me. “No Room to Die”. What the hell does that mean? You need to go inside a room to die? Or you you can’t die unless you have adequate space and room to move around?

Well, judging by some of the elongated, drawn out, staggering around the set, multiple gunshot wound deaths we get in this genre I’m plumping for option 2. :wink:

Haha! I was just browsing dvd’s at local supermarket and I found a boxed set “Best of West” with a title “Dead rides a Horse”. lol

Just watched this again last night. With all the spaghettis I’ve viewed in the past 2 years this still remains in my top 10. I get more out of it every time I see it.

My favourite part is the whole sequence of Ryan getting out of prison, starting where his leg iron is removed and ending where he gets on his new horse and rides off.

Best single moment of the film: Ryan looks at the warden and bites out: “My gun.” Typical Van Cleef and just an awesome moment in western history. :slight_smile:

Anybody know anything about this release?

Its by a company called AFI entertainment, its region free and widescreen. hmmm.

Reviewer number two in description did not seem to pleased with disc…

Ah, I see.

A very solid SW. LVC is great as in every SW ive seen him in. 7/10

Watched this again today. Someone earlier stated DRAH gets better with each viewing and I concur. Lee Van Cleef is outstanding and Law is just good enough. I really enjoy this flick every time I see it.

AceHigh you have impeccable taste! :slight_smile:

So do you Pacificador ;).

Was putting this one off forever, despite being one of my top of the top favorites, just because its an MGM disc and will be more available than other titles. But I finally got ahold of the MGM dvd the other day and am quite happy to have an excuse to give this excellent spaghetti another watch.

Even with the first horrible pan & scan, dark & grainy copy I had, I absolutely loved this film from the first second.

Oddly enough, I almost kind of miss watching the horrible quality releases of these films sometimes… it creates a certain effect to view these titles with such degenerated video…

This is one of the greatest of the genre, and one of the greatest revenge films, period. A very well made, tight and taut, violence riddled western thriller. I bought the R2 MGM disc a couple years ago and it made a world of difference from the faded fullscreen prints. Truly one of the best.