Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

I agree that the money was not Ryanā€™s primary motivation, that it was quite obviously revenge. He demanded money out of his former partners to twist the knife a little, manipulate them and make them sweat before he eventually killed them. I donā€™t believe he cared about the money one bit.

For those who have MGM HD channel, itā€™s on this month. MGM is High definition, uncut, and usually aspect ratio correct.
I may start a new thread so people can see it

well that was cool. i had always thought of death rides a horse when seeing kill bill, that was cool to see quentin talking about how the film inspired him. i agree death rides a horse is one of the top of the top westerns outside of leoneā€™s. thanks for the link!

Well that was a very odd video. First of all the complete lack of ā€œLee Van Cleefā€ scenes in the archive footage was a bit of a head scratcher to me, and when Tarantino speaks highly of Morriconeā€™s brilliant score they only sample the most mundane of tracks?

http://imageshack.us

Itā€™s mighty cold and wet out here, John
Letā€™s go to the database

Heā€™s there sitting on his hotel bed shooting a couple of bandits. He even speaks.

Youā€™re right, my mistake. But more screen time was giving to Law.
Anyway, Iā€™m nitpicking.

Just listening to it now on that video iā€™m sure Jerry Goldsmith nicked the piano riff for THE OMEN. :-X

Not watched this for a few years, i picked up the U.K. mgm disc recently so i decided to revisit itā€¦

and iā€™m glad i did, i honestly forgot how good this film was, Iā€™d say it was Lee Van Cleefā€™s best performance after the Leone films.

Ennio Morricone provides a fantastic score (for those of you who have seen Quentin Tarantinoā€™s Kill Bill you will notice it) and the cinematography is superb, making full use of the beautiful Almeria locations.

The print of the film is good but looks a bit grainy in parts and is presented in aspect ratio 2.35:1.

[/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img393/deathip0.jpg/1/]http://imageshack.us

Not watched this for a few years, i picked up the U.K. mgm disc recently so i decided to revisit itā€¦

and iā€™m glad i did, i honestly forgot how good this film was, Iā€™d say it was Lee Van Cleefā€™s best performance after the Leone films.

Ennio Morricone provides a fantastic score (for those of you who have seen Quentin Tarantinoā€™s Kill Bill you will notice it) and the cinematography is superb, making full use of the beautiful Almeria locations.

The print of the film is good but looks a bit grainy in parts and is presented in aspect ratio 2.35:1.

[/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img393/deathip0.jpg/1/]http://imageshack.us

SEB: i tried to merge the two Death rides a horse threads but couldnā€™t work out how to do it. Please donā€™t gun me down :slight_smile:

This film was a huge disapointment. I was really looking foward to it, expecting a down and dirty revenge flick but instead its a rather weak film thats poorly made IMO.

The script is poorly written and sctructured, the editing is sloppy, the direction is messy, etc.

It actually had the making of a pretty cool film but it simply didnt work out that way.

Granted I saw the horrible full screen version of the film so that didnt help but I dont think seeing it again would change my opinion on the whole. Though Id be willing to watch a decent version of it again.

The draw between Van Cleef and Law in the end is the most intense ever- I f*kinā€™ love it! Top-10 spaghetti for me easily

Agreed with this threads opinion of Law.
Certainly the weakest link in the movie.
Peter Lee Lawrence would have been a better choice.

[quote=ā€œGoodfella, post:111, topic:172ā€]This film was a huge disapointment. I was really looking foward to it, expecting a down and dirty revenge flick but instead its a rather weak film thats poorly made IMO.

The script is poorly written and sctructured, the editing is sloppy, the direction is messy, etc.

It actually had the making of a pretty cool film but it simply didnt work out that way.

Granted I saw the horrible full screen version of the film so that didnt help but I dont think seeing it again would change my opinion on the whole. Though Id be willing to watch a decent version of it again.[/quote]

I donā€™t share your opinion of the film but thatā€™s OK by meā€¦I certainly donā€™t like every film out there either. I donā€™t feel compelled to like something just because the majority does.

Having said that if I could make a suggestion it would be to revisit this movie in a few months when youā€™ve got some more spaghettis under your belt. Make sure you watch the MGM version too, I think you may find it will have grown on you a bit more.

Take your time with these films as they donā€™t pander to their audiences - some are superb, some are shitty and there are many in the middle. From personal experience I can tell you that some definitely benefit from a few viewings.

Yeah I think they could have done better than Law but I would hardly call it a weak movie.

My two centsā€¦

I canā€™t guarantee that viewing this film on a decent release will make you change your mind entirely, we all like different stuff after all. But I do concur with Pacificador that you should try it again with the MGM version. Itā€™s a totally different experience and does the film true justice.

Ill do that.

The first time I watched it, it was the dreadful fullscreen version too. I liked it though, so seeing it the way it was intended was even more of a treat.

Either way it cant hurt the film to see it again in widscreen with good picture quality.

Great movie.

Can anybody tell me how the title DEATH RIDES A HORSE of this classic should be interpretated?
Does ā€œDEATHā€ refer to van Cleef specifically?

Silly title for me. Never understood it myself. Mostly the english titles are very close to the italian ones.
I would like to skip this title and call it Man to Man.