Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:79, topic:172”]JOHN PHILIP LAW is a BETTER LOOKING & BETTER ACTOR with SUPERIOR CULT Films
than these Caine/Pacino/Streep[/quote]
Better looking, maybe. Better acting, never.

You won’t find many people on this planet who also think so.

[quote=“stanton, post:81, topic:172”]Better looking, maybe. Better acting, never.

You won’t find many people on this planet who also think so.[/quote]

I go by the SIMPLE TEST as follows :

I Personally RATE JOHN PHILIP LAW and His Films especially those in 1966 to 1970 :

VASTLY SUPERIOR and MORE ENJOYABLE

than the sort of Ordinary ZZZ Drama/Subtitled these Pacino/Bette Davis/Michael Caine/Streep/Wooden Allen produce to annoy, irritate/repel
:’(

I admire/enjoy JOHN PHILIP LAW on screen while the ones mentioned above I DETEST.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:82, topic:172”]I go by the SIMPLE TEST as follows :

I Personally RATE JOHN PHILIP LAW and His Films especially those in 1966 to 1970 :

VASTLY SUPERIOR and MORE ENJOYABLE

than the sort of Ordinary ZZZ Drama/Subtitled these Pacino/Bette Davis/Michael Caine/Streep/Wooden Allen produce to annoy, irritate/repel
:’(

I admire/enjoy JOHN PHILIP LAW on screen while the ones mentioned above I DETEST.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, but all these “detested” actors have a far wider range than Law, which is mirrored in their extensive oevre.

Dir: Giulio Petroni. Cast: Lee van Cleef, John-Philip Law, Luigi Pistilli, Antonio Marghereti (Antony Dawson), Mario Brega, Jose Torres.
Music: Ennio Morricone. Script: Luciano Vincenzoni.

Like Tonino Valerii’s Day of Anger, Death rides a horse adopts the master/pupil plot from Sergio Leone’s For a few Dollars more and tries to add, at the same time, a new dimension to its vengeance theme. Whereas Valerii combined both narrative elements to create a morality tale in which friendship eventually turned into rivalry and hatred, Petroni, quite on the contrary, adds a human dimension to the tale by deepening the relationship between the two men to a point where feelings of rage and vengeance are dissolved by friendship and mutual understanding.

In the first minutes of the movie we watch how nearly an entire family is slaughtered.

For the rest of the review go to:

1 Like

I know there was already a thread for this movie, but I wanted to give this review its own nest (spring is in the air !)

Very Detailed Interesting Review Of A Classic SW Revenger High In my Top 30 SW List.

Good work Scherp :slight_smile:
MAGNIFICENT SW DEATH RIDES A HORSE 1968
John Philip Law & Lee Van Cleef= FABULOUS TEAM

Great review. Thanks Scherp. I must watch this one again soon

One of my favorites - great review Scherp

I always thought your reviews were slightly longer Scherpschutter.

No idea what you mean, but it’s nice to hear I still manage to surprise you!

By the way: what do you think of the soundtrack?

Great review. DRAH was the first non-Leone spag I ever saw, and it’s what made me realize there were a lot more great things to be seen in the genre. I saw a crappy old public domain copy, but I just got a hold of the MGM one… what a difference!

I love the soundtrack, especially the furious acoustic guitar bit. Sounds similar to the one on Face to Face.

Intense stuff and fits the film very well.

My friend is not to keen on it though, and I quote :

''You are not listening to this crap again are you"

I then say; " why don’t you go home to your nagging wife", then he shuts up and gets depressed ;D.

Great review again Brother scherp! Hope it’s going in the book!
Disagree about the tattoo tho’ … the four aces have always been totemic, as is the skull symbol that lvc has around his neck. Besides the personal index as a ‘mark of the outsider’ that the tattoo holds - on an obvious note the cards could simply stand for a profession as a gambler (as the butterfly does for the thief [papillon]) or as a, just as obvious, symbol of luck. In a similar manner gamblers may also have tattoos of ‘rolling bones’ or a personification as ‘Lady luck’.
The aces (besides being Desmond Dekker’s support), also have a metaphysical, esoteric or an elemental meaning equating with four facets of the human psyche. The ace of spades is a sort of reverse-bad-luck (as with Motorhead - and biker - tattoo imagery) bad-to-the-bone ‘dark-side’ 8) that contrasts with the heart (ahhh) :stuck_out_tongue: good side. Diamonds obviously equates with wealth and (spiritual) well-being ;D. And clubs - well - that’s where the gambling goes on :-\ …
Anyway, tattoos aren’t out of place in spaghettis (as an idea, or in other films) - there’s some on ladies bottoms :-* in ‘Blood Money’ and the ones in ‘Ringo Mark of Revenge’ make these look wussy indeed.

(edit: a tattoo, not by me or on me … but 4 aces)
[don’t ‘click’ it - it don’t get any bigger]

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:93, topic:172”]Anyway, tattoos aren’t out of place in spaghettis (as an idea, or in other films) - there’s some on ladies bottoms :-* in ‘Blood Money’ and the ones in ‘Ringo Mark of Revenge’ make these look wussy indeed.

(edit: a tattoo, not by me or on me … but 4 aces)
[don’t ‘click’ it - it don’t get any bigger][/quote]

Totally forgotten those tattoos on the ladies’ bottoms !

(Howzat for a Freudian omission?)

It’s an excellent SW, my copy comes in a 3 disc box set (also included are It Can Be Done Amigo , Hellbenders & White Comanche & a few others).

I love this movie. One of the best non-Leone SWs.

The story is great, and Lee Van Cleef is just… Lee Van Cleef. :wink:

I liked Law in this one.

(SPOILER)
It’s certainly a good film, but I thought the ending was very weak, having Law suddenly quit his desire for revenge just because he kills one more bad guy? ??? I also didn’t like the way the two heroes led all the innocent men in the village to be killed. :-\

(SPOILER)

quote=“Bruce, post:98, topic:172”
It’s certainly a good film, but I thought the ending was very weak, having Law suddenly quit his desire for revenge just because he kills one more bad guy? ??? I also didn’t like the way the two heroes led all the innocent men in the village to be killed. :-[/quote]

I did not read the end like this. LVC revealed his role in the affair ie. he actually saved Law. Then shows Law his sincerity by giving him the chance to exact his revenge. Furthermore, throughout their brief aquaintance LVC has shown a paternal, protective side to Law… even saving Law’s skin at one point (in the bar) and at another saying that if he had a son he would wish he was like Law (feelings presumably bourne out of remorse at the atrocity inflicted on Law’s family by his gang associates). I think that Law realises this and sees the truth that although LVC is a past member of a gang of thieves he is not a cold blooded killer any more so than Law himself. They are both coming from the same angle … revenge.

Also re the innocent villagers. This jarred a bit with me also but I think it highlights the fact that Law and LVC are not heroes but vigilantes. They are seen to be acting each to his own agenda and the interests of the villagers are just that…their interests and not Law or LVC’s. They just use this to acheive their own ends. Neither is acting for high moral principles …just satisfying their own needs.

Loved the film and watching it again. LVC always rocks for me…even Gods Gun is bearable coz he is in it. (shame about the wig!!!)

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/Tarantino/video/x5d0ev_06-la-mort-etait-au-rendez-vous_shortfilms

not sure if that’s been posted before

1 Like