Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

Stanton Rides A Horse

;D ;D ;D

Death rides but falls down

I cannot be 100% sure, even if all sources indicate a longer Italian version: on the other hand Iā€™m sure the original version is unreleased since in the televised copy the opening credits and the first few minutes were regularly in Italianā€¦

This I donā€™t understand. Why should the credits not be in Italian in Italy as it is an Italian film?

The Italian DVD release by Koch Media has the first six minutes in English with subtitles, it follows that the master not derives from an Italian copy.

But the Italian TV version is also not longer then the DVDs?

I donā€™t have a recording of Da uomo a uomo, so for the moment I cannot compare versions or check the exact runtime of the copy shown on TV.

Seems this one splits more opinions from what i imagine. I like it, itā€™s yet another vengeance tale, but done with the right atmosphere, pacing and a nice attention to detail. Movies like, say, And God Said to Cain or Cemetery Without Crosses, both decent flicks, just drag too much, and while they try to be atmospheric too they donā€™t hit the right spots this one does.

Professor Dent is in it :smiley:

[quote=ā€œLindberg, post:270, topic:172ā€]Professor Dent is in it :smiley:

[/quote]
he play also one small role in RED SUN

Really? Who does he play (and what is the actorā€™s name)?

maybe anthony dawson

Right, heā€™s the man with the playing cards tattood on his chest

[/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/vlcsnap2011080514h06m04.png/[/url]

Okay, thanks.

Does he die the same way in all his films?

His death in Death Rides a Horse is one of the best death scenes.

Iā€™m with the ones who think this one is overrated, but it has some nice elements which make it worth watching.

The Good:

• Morriconeā€™s score is one of his best (and that of course, says everything). Great ominous, menacing main theme, groovy theme when Lee walks in the ghost town, etc. Score feels detached from movie in some places, and guitar scene feel forced into the movie just to place that piece of music somewhere, but overall movie is worth watching just for the score.
  • Lee Van Cleef is excellent, proving that he is more than that look and crooked smile. His performance is better than the movie level.
  • Villains are memorable, especially Luigi Pistilli, who deservedly got bigger role after fine performance in For a Few Dollars More.
  • Great opening sequence/slaughter, and interesting final shootout in the dust storm.

The Bad:

• John Philip Law. It canā€™t get more wooden than that. He is so overshadowed by Lee in every scene that you almost forget heā€™s there (which actually might be best for him).
    Heā€™s not funny, emotional or cool, so I really donā€™t care about his character and his actions, and that of course was the big problem as it is the core of the movie.
  • Directing felt amateurish at times, like in Lawā€™s practicing scene which to me was laughable. There were also some awkward cuts from one scene to another, and some (too) illogical scenes like when Lee appears in closed room out of nowhere. I donā€™t insist on realism, but that kind of stuff just feels sloppy to me.

The Ugly:

• Iā€™ve watched terrible version of the movie, so Iā€™m sure it would be much more enjoyable watching experience in widescreen with clear picture and sound, but I doubt it would change my overall rating about this movie, which is 3.

[quote=ā€œtitoli, post:278, topic:172ā€]The Ugly:

• Iā€™ve watched terrible version of the movie, so Iā€™m sure it would be much more enjoyable watching experience in widescreen with clear picture and sound, but I doubt it would change my overall rating about this movie, which is 3.[/quote]
    Depending on what country you live in and what region your DVD player is or whether youā€™ve ā€œhackedā€ it to make it region free, if you want to see a nice version of Death Rides a Horse, this release is best: [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Rides-a-Horse-DVD/dp/B0009NZ1MK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360055971&sr=8-1[/url]

The Wild East version looks just as good (screenshots on the previous page)