Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

Maybe it was good enough… :slight_smile:

Could be. Nevertheless I should rewatch it. I have rewatched worse flicks over and over again.

Come, share with us some “dirty” secrets.

Well, there was this one movie, that, well, ehm, this movie, well, ehm, like Vendo Cara La Pelle, or so.

As one of the few who said he disliked the opening some more thoughts, especially after the alborate post from our faithful reverend.
For me the real opening, the one I think is weak, happens all outside. All the drak rainy bits where the men by the waggon get killed off. That for me is the opening of the film. And I dont think it is anything special, it looks like a regular robery.
But at the moment we come into the inside of the house it changes. These scenes I really enjoyed, cause the capture the horror of being in such a situation perfectly. The whole, invading someones home where they felt safe scenery is really haunting. I dislike the shooting of the father, is he really thinking he could reach the gun??? But the following sequences are very strong. And the whole " was there a rape" discussion shows that sometimes less is more, and we all imagined worse things than actually are shown. This is of course an indicator for an intense and well made scene, which I acknowledge. So when i say the opening is nothing special i refer to the rainy outdoor shots. The rest is good to brilliant. And even though i critizised the showing of the bandits “marks” as cliche, it still is okay to use in this revenge vengeance movie.
I enjoy this movie, some great shots and scenes, maybe a bit overlong, but its okay.
For me it does not benefit from a second viewing, so it does not get much better, which is not a problem since it is a pretty good movie already, and there are worse flicks to re-view.

I love the rain opening, very moody, music similar to FAFDM… its one of my favourite openings

Valenciano, I think you’ve summed up my feelings about the film in this one sentence. It’s a film that is enjoyable, but there’s no reason or desire to watch it again. That is an admirable accomplishment. But a great film DEMANDS repeated viewings, an experience greater than merely following a plot to it’s resolution.

Maybe benefit is the wrong word. Many movies get better upon second and third viewing. This one did not get better for me at least. There is nothing new to discover. But you always know what to get, and so i gave and probably will give it additional viewings.

I continued my journey with SWs by watching this movie yesterday. For me it wasn’t as good as “The Big Gundown”, but Lee Van Cleef shines here too, i got to mention that. I just love his acting because it fits so nicely to these movies, for example the part when he comes to rescue Bill and kills those 4 “guards”, that was badass. On the other hand John Phillip Law’s acting wasn’t very good then, i think they tried to make another Clint Eastwood from him, or at least that’s the feeling i got when i watched John’s performance. The plot was quite average, nothing special, but nothing bad either. And yea, Ennio’s music’s were great once again, couldn’t be any better.

3½ / 5 stars from me. 8)

[quote=“Jude, post:189, topic:172”]I continued my journey with SW’s by watching this movie yesterday. For me it wasn’t as good as “The Big Gundown”, but Lee Van Cleef shines here too, i got to mention that. I just love his acting because it fits so nicely to these movies, for example the part when he comes to rescue Bill and kills those 4 “guards”, that was badass. On the other hand John Phillip Law’s acting wasn’t very good then, i think they tried to make another Clint Eastwood from him, or at least that’s the feeling i got when i watched John’s performance. The plot was quite average, nothing special, but nothing bad either. And yea, Ennio’s music’s were great once again, couldn’t be any better.

3½ / 5 stars from me. 8)[/quote]

Very nice to see some interest for the genry among younger people: korano, silence, you

I don’t know about the people who made these films - so the Leones, Corbuccis and Sollimas - but I would never have guessed that these movies would find a new audience more than 40 years after they were made

Death rides a Horse is one of my favourite movies, it’s the revenge movie for me, it has all the typical characteristics of a SW cast in the revenge mould: a haunting opening scene, a child who witnesses a horrible slaughter, the flashbacks, the experienced gunman who helps the younger man to get even, the twist in the end …

Indeed. Good to have some young guys on the scene, which I find refreshing.

Its good to have new fans discovering the genre. I was there once not too long ago myself.

Yes, it certainly is to see these films get a new lease of life. After all, it’s up to people like them to carry the films into the next generation.

Whats not like to like about Death Rides a Horse? Imo its worth watching with your eyes closed just to listen to the soundtrack! Lee Van Cleef is great, story is cool, Laws acting (ok not great) but funny, has all the usual bad guys (who meet their demise) and the ending is classic. Cant wait to see it on the bigscreen in April. 1st Half of a double feature with Sabata at the New Beverly cinema in LA on the 19th :slight_smile:

Well compared to other youngsters Jude is a true grandpa…

A Highly Overrated SW, not in my top 50!!!

I agree with you. Although he is in my top 50, but I think this is overrated.
He has some unforgettable moments, but there are moments which are rather boring.
I think he is very uneven. The score by Morricone is great.
Basically it is divided into four different story segments. Like Vengeance or sentenza di morte.
I also think John Phillip Law is not a good actor for a Spaghetti Western.
The film is good, but I do not think as good as its reputation. :wink:

I never had a problem with Law’s acting. He played a arrow minded young man who would do anything to avenge his parents death and Law played him with the right type of straight-mindness.

I find it a face like a Peter Lee Lawrence. That does not fit in the hard world of spaghetti westerns.
His acting talent is not doubted by me.

But he stole Clint Eastwood the dress. Or? :wink:

Exactly :wink: Though it is possibly the most quotable flick in all Spaghettidom.