Dario Argento

That’s the next DA movie I’m going to watch.

[glow=red,2,300]Suspiria[/glow] is really great concerning audiovisuals !

Goblin’s OST kicks ass :slight_smile: ! It was also nice to see Udo Kier and Rudolf Schündler (Fritz Lang’s ‘The testament of Dr. Mabuse’ or in Germany known as Dr. Knörz in ‘Die Lümmel von der ersten Bank’ or other “Pauker” [teacher] movies ) even though they have only a few minutes of screentime.

On the English audio track Schündler tells Susy much more frightening and detailed stuff about Witches than on the German audio track !??!

[glow=red,2,300]DEEP RED[/glow]

Enjoyed this one throughout ! Nice plot and soundtrack once again !

I have to recommend Argento’s Il Tram, tv-movie from 1973. Girl gets murdered in the tram and police have to figure it out which one of the passengers killed her. Well made who-dunnit thriller with jazzy score and some Argento trademarks.

[glow=red,2,300]Inferno[/glow]

Finally got to watch this nice piece of film and really enjoyed it.

… A big nightmare …

Koch’s release is superb, especially enjoyed the audio commentary by Kessler and Stiglegger :slight_smile:

Mother of Tears is probably one of the worse horror pictures I’ve ever seen. Suspiria and Inferno are two to of the best.

I’ve recently watched Tenebre and I love it. Probably not as good as Deep Red and at the end it gets too bloody IMO.
However it has one of the most stunning scenes I’ve seen in a horror film.

This is so good!

I think Argento should have retired from directing films 15-20 years ago.

That new Dracula one looks Diabolical.

Yep agree. John Carpenter is another who should have retired from directing a while back aswell.

I love his stuff up to Opera. After that some have been just alright and some downright awful. You’d think Demofilo Fidani had tried his hand in horror ;D

Yeah, I’ve already seen this trailer and there’s no doubt it’s a shitty film.
Here’s a review:
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/cannes-review-dario-argento-dracula-3d-sgall.php
And Grade: D-

Yeah totally. I always held the view that Carpenter was ahead of his time for all those years and somehow the rest of the world just caught up with him, rendering him not so special anymore. Herzog and John Woo are two other directors in a slump lately.

Good way of putting it.

While I agree about Argento, Capenter and Woo, I’m not so sure about Werner Herzog. His recent documentaries have all been widely acclaimed.

[quote=“John Welles, post:53, topic:605”]I’m not so sure about Werner Herzog. His recent documentaries have all been widely acclaimed.[/quote]And even his ventures into hollywood have been quite succesful. Bad Lieutenant was a terrific film.

There is a new book on the man

http://amzn.to/2kIl4y5

1 Like

Just watched The Five Man Army last night. Great movie made even better with the Morricone touch!! Had never see this one. Thanks for letting me know it was out there. Downloaded the soundtrack music.

Finally got to see Bird with the crystal plumage. Pretty solid, gotta re-watch it, there is a lot to discover…

Probably my favourite Argento film, great Morricone score also!

I enjoyed Deep Red very much and quite enjoyed Inferno but found Suspiria to be his best. Sadly I haven’t seen anything elseby him, but they are on my watch list, and should have a few more viewed by the end of summer.

Tenebrae was wonderful!
The story goes like this:
An American author is stalked by a mad killer who is influenced by his novel entitled Tenebrae. Our killer wears black gloves, is known to use a blade/ knife, and sometimes uses an axe, viciously kills a few women ( very similar to those killed in the novel). I’ve read that real life events inspired Argento to make this, and it’s the goriest Argento film I’ve seen to date. A fantastic film of dynamic, insane characters, none of whom are trustworthy ( I for one thought the killer could have been a few different people) and the ending is of course my favorite ending of any of Argento films I’ve seen yet. Watch this with caution as blood and surprises fill the screen as only a master filmmaker like Argento can do. I would pick the scene where the dog chases the girl (yes the rabid dog will leave you looking at certain dogs twice from now) is one of coolest and most memorable scene in any Argento film I’ve seen yet.