Dario Argento

Since we have some Argento fan’s in here I thought I would open a thread on the subject.

I have the following films.

Phenomena.
Tenebre.
Inferno.
Suspiria.
Profondo rosso.
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.
cat o’nine tails.

Tenebre is my favorit followed by Suspiria and Profondo rosso.

Argento’s movies i’ve seen in order form best to worst [based on my opinion of course]:
1)profondo rosso
2)tenebre
3)suspiria
4)bird with the crystal plumage
5)phenomena
6)inferno
7)opera
8)sleepless
9)cat o’nine tails
10)stendhal syndrome
11)four flies on grey velvet
12)trauma
13)do you like hitchcock?
14)jennifer
15)card player

Argento is a genius, there is no faulting his 70’s and early 80’s movies, he uses camerawork and colours to great effect. he made a few films that were just ok in the late 80’s early 90’s (with the exception of OPERA which is fantastic and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA which i didn’t like that much).

In 2001 he came back with NON HO SONNO which i thought was fantastic and Argento being Argento again, CARD PLAYER was just ok i thought and nothing special.

I haven’t seen DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK or JENIFER yet but i hope to soon.

PELTS was great, an hour segment of the Masters of horror series (this is the only one i have seen so far) and has episodes directed by Stuart Gordon, John Carpenter, Joe Dante, Mick Garris, Tobe Hooper and John Landis.

As i said in another post i wasn’t expecting much from PELTS but it was excellent, i was dubious about Meatloaf being the star but he is rather good in it, also stars old school legend John Saxon in a role as a drunk foul mouthed trapper.

Although the majority of you will know this Argento was one of the writers on my favourite movie of all time ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. :slight_smile:

Argento also has writing credits for the following SW’s

Cemetery Without Crosses. (his visual influence can also bee seen on this film, even though he has no official directing credits)
Today We Kill Tomorrow We Die.
The Five Man Army.

According to Weisser’s book (Spaghetti Westerns - The Good, the Bad and the Violent) Argento is suspected to have co directed Five Man Army and Today We Kill. The latter certainly has some very eerie qualities about it.

I know this thread is about DARIO , but I also felt it is worth mentioning about his daughter ASIA.

DARIO is of course responsible in part for bringing his daughter in the world, which is important in it’s own right.

But, in addition ASIA has of course gone into filmmaking herself, and is certaintly a talent who has been involved in some interesting films to date.

I think best about Argento’s films is the music. Tenebre and Suspiria have both awesome soundtracks by Goblin. Anyone seen Four Flies on Grey Velvet? Is it good one?

This person has uploaded the Suspiria theme on his homepage.

I’ve seen that one, it’s definitely worth checking out, especially if you liked the other parts of ‘animal trilogy’

[quote=“alk0, post:9, topic:605”]I’ve seen that one, it’s definitely worth checking out, especially if you liked the other parts of ‘animal trilogy’[/quote]ok, but which films are the other parts of the animal trilogy?

“The bird with crystal plumage” and “cat o’ nine tails”

Iv’e never been much of a fan of horror movies but i think suspiria is a stunning film,and one of only a handful of horror films i own.ive also seen cat o nine tails and deep red ,some day i need to check out more of his stuff.ive read that inferno is similiar to suspiria(as far as atmosphere,visuals) is this true?

It is. It pushes an atmosphere and surreal plot seen in suspiria further. not as good as suspiria but still a great one.

I watched Deep Red recently. I think it’s best Argento film I’ve seen. Very thrilling and scary with awesome music by Goblin. I watched the uncut version which dragged a bit at places though, maybe cut version would be better.

One of my fave movies of all time, i know some people think the uncut version is boring at times [i don’t!], but when the action kicks out you’re on the edge of your seat for the rest of the movie.

I’d like to point everybody’s attention to

www.grindhousedatabase.com

our new sister site

Anyone here seen Argento’s latest “Mother of Tears” yet? I’ve read a lot of bad reviews and I’m wondering if it’s really that bad.

i have much movies from that man also lucio fulcie i think i have em all
but only watch it for the deathscenes cause the story who cares

[quote=“dead-by-dawn, post:18, topic:605”]i have much movies from that man also lucio fulcie i think i have em all
but only watch it for the deathscenes cause the story who cares[/quote]
I do! Tenebre and Deep Red are movies with great stories not being gory for the sake of being gory. His early movies like ‘bird with crystal plumage’ and ‘cat o’nine tails’ have no gore at all but they’re great. On the other hand Fulci was a great director that is unfairly judged only for his late gore movies. Movies like “Don’t torture a duckling”, “A lizard in a woman’s skin”, “White fang” or “One on top of the other” show he was a very capable director.

A load of SHIT, seriously, i ignored all the bad reviews and wanted to judge for myself, i wanted to like it because it was Argento but it is atrocious.

Daria Nicolodi floating around as a ghost looking like Obi Wan Kenobi from star wars, rubbish.

Awful acting, shit story

After years of wanting him to finish off the three nothers trilogy i wish he hadn’t bothered

Terrible, Terrible film