Cut-Throats Nine / Condenados a vivir (Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent, 1971)

I changed it. there are probably some more wrong.

But, you can change it by yourself Lorenzo

Interesting how the list has changed over the years.
Cut Throats Nine would only just squeak into an alternative top 40 based on current votes

Could you provide me an access, please?

[quote=“Phil H, post:102, topic:971”]Interesting how the list has changed over the years.
Cut Throats Nine would only just squeak into an alternative top 40 based on current votes[/quote]

I suppose the reason for it is because Cut-Throats Nine isn’t anymore treated as a SW. Therefore, it wouldn’t make it in the alternative top 40 either.

Why not considered a SW any more?

It depends on the definition of SW. If you define SW according to its characteristics Cut-Throats Nine would be definitely a SW but if you define SW according to the involvement of Italian people (Cast, Producer, Director etc.) Cut-Throats Nine would probably not be defined as a SW.

At the SWDB Cut-Throats Nine is labeled as a Eurowestern: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Condenados_a_vivir[/url]

SWDB provides a definition of Eurowestern: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Eurowestern[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Condenados_a_vivir

It says here that: “Eurowesterns especially include Spanish westerns without any Italian influences.”

I would like to make a comparison: Cemetery Without Crosses isn’t labeled as a Eurowestern because it is produced by Italians and two of the cast are Italians.

Or is there another reason why Cut-throats nine is labeled as a Eurowestern? We may also discuss the definition of a SW at the Town Hall: http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/topic,4164.new.html#new

It’s a discussion which is never ending I guess as everyone has their own line and definition as to what is or is not a Spaghetti Western and as such we are unlikely to ever find a consensus. But for me, if it looks like a Spaghetti and feels like a Spaghetti then it’s a Spaghetti. As long as it was made in Europe in the right time frame and has the right elements I don’t need it to be strictly Italian to qualify. Cemetery Without Crosses is clearly a French film. It is also clearly a Spaghetti. A single Italian producer makes no difference really as far as I’m concerned. The Bounty Killer is Spanish. It’s still 100% Spaghetti. The whole Eurowestern thing is an irrelevance for me. I would lump most under the umbrella of Spaghettis I expect.

And in the case of Cut-Throats Nine it has too many elements that I connect instinctively with Spaghettis I could never think of it as anything else. It stars Robert Hundar (there’s an Italian for you right there) but also features all those great ‘faces’ who are synonymous with the genre. Jose Manuel Martin, Lorenzo Robledo, Dan Van Husen.

At the end of the day when you are deciding where to store your DVD of CT9 where would you put it? I suspect with the Spaghettis and that’s good enough for me.

Thank you for the elaborated answer. I would definitely store it with the Spaghettis. I’ve recently started purposely rewatching my SW in order to rate them and give my vote. So it’s good to know that I can also consider CT9. :slight_smile:

You nailed it.

If you think it’s one it’s one.

Don’t you have already an access? There is a SWDB name in your signature.

Everybody here can contribute to the database, but I’m not sure if there are at the moment any restrictions for newcomers to avoid spamming or false data. Seb must know. I should also, but I don’t.

No, I don’t have one but I’ll ask Seb.

Just watched this one. Before I watched the thing, I hadn’t had any real expectations, so I guess this is why I enjoyed it for what it was i.e. a moody piece of exploitation.

To my surprise, it was not a totally mindless gorefest (it was not all that gory and brutal TBH), there were elements that truly worked (tension was quite good IMO) and some that didn’t.

For instance, I didn’t buy that last altercation between the ‘good’ bad guy, who tried to protect the girl, and the rest of the gang. Come on, the girl wanted to turn them in and the whole brawl seemed totally arbitrary and senseless.

It occasionally felt as though the director had wanted to kill off all his characters at all costs, just to show some more gore. The direction was rather straight-forward, not to say featureless. At least the director didn’t want to do anything he wasn’t capable of pulling off, so the ensemble felt rather taut and kept your attention for the entirety of the film’s running time.

However, it cannot disguise the fact that it might have been truly something special with someone else in charge as well as the movie’s rendition sporadically appeared somewhat paltry. Besides, I thought the soundtrack was shit.

All in all, definitely not bad, indubitably nothing great. 6/10

[quote=“Mickey13, post:113, topic:971”]Just watched this one. Before I watched the thing, I hadn’t had any real expectations, so I guess this is why I enjoyed it for what it was i.e. a moody piece of exploitation.

To my surprise, it was not a totally mindless gorefest (it was not all that gory and brutal TBH), there were elements that truly worked (tension was quite good IMO) and some that didn’t.

For instance, I didn’t buy that last altercation between the ‘good’ bad guy, who tried to protect the girl, and the rest of the gang. Come on, the girl wanted to turn them in and the whole brawl seemed totally arbitrary and senseless.

It occasionally felt as though the director had wanted to kill off all his characters at all costs, just to show some more gore. The direction was rather straight-forward, not to say featureless. At least the director didn’t want to do anything he wasn’t capable of pulling off, so the ensemble felt rather taut and kept your attention for the entirety of the film’s running time.

However, it cannot disguise the fact that it might have been truly something special with someone else in charge as well as the movie’s rendition sporadically appeared somewhat paltry. Besides, I thought the soundtrack was shit.

All in all, definitely not bad, indubitably nothing great. 6/10[/quote]

Some interesting points made.
I haven’t seen the movie, but I feel it’s time I’m going to. Somehow this film never invited me to watch it, don’t know what it was. I probably expected a gore fest too, and I’m not a gore fest fan. But apparently, it’s not too “bad” in that aspect …

Same case here. I’m not a gore fan and I always thought it was going to be insufferably gory, but apart from the somewhat revolting rape scene, it was rather tame in the gore department. I think its reputation as one of the most violent westerns ever made is far too aggrandized.

Sure, it’s violent, but I was touched by the violence in The Great Silence in larger measure. Heck, if you sat through Miike’s Audition, I’m sure you’ll be able to sit through this one with no problems at all. :wink:

With that being said, just don’t expect anything grand or anything like that. Comparing this movie to Corbucci’s masterpiece is a joke to me, seriously. The only things that make both films similar are snow and pessimism, that’s it.

Quality-wise, Cut-Throats Nine is a uneven effort occasionally stumbling en route and the only component it is fixated upon is to show how awful people can be which gets a little monotonous after a while. But again, it’s just my opinion. Overall, it’s a simple-minded exploitation flick that lacks the poetry that some better genre example possess. It’s pretty good for what it is though.

Finally … I … watched … it …

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cut-throats_Nine_Review[/size]

Your review is spot-on. :slight_smile:

Sums up the movie very well.

Does anyone if the terror masks mentioned in the trailer really existed? I found this one pic on this blog but there’s no any information.

Looks like something made for recent screening.

Yes, “Hollywood Theatre April 29-30 2011.”

Finally saw this on my widescreen TV. Well worth it. More of a eurowestern than anything else, but is a great picture and worth watching again. What else would you expect from convicts who find out that their being lead over a mountain by an untrustworthy Sgt. who may in fact be the real antagonist of this film? My favorite scene has to be the wagon being destroyed. Lots of action here, and its shot very well. My second favorite scene is when the prisoners free themselves of their chains. Next, I would say is the scene when the prisoners discover the gold is in the chains! Fourth favorite scene involves the burning of Sgt. Brown, but he had it coming, lastly the dynamite being lit in the cabin. What a film! Since its a eurowestern, I’m not sure if this would qualify as a true “Spaghetti western” or not. to me it seems more like a Eurowestern. Nontheless a great film. Can anyone give the best possible answer as to weather or not this qualifies as a true “spaghetti western”?