Cut-Throats Nine / Condenados a vivir (Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent, 1971)

I’ve got the Eurovista DVD of this as well as another release which is identical & the audio/video are out of synch for the last 5 or 10 mins.
It appears that some of the video may have been cut, and the corresponding audio wasn’t.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

And while were at it, what are your opinions of this movie?..
I think it pretty good… Although the lingering shots of entrails are a bit over-the-top…

For more info visit:
Database page: Condenados a vivir - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Cut Throats Nine your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

It’s a long time since I’ve seen it but I remember thinking it was ok. The gore didn’t bother me but I thought the whole thing a bit ‘slow’.
And another useless bit of trivia that I’m proud of spotting here …
The ugly fellow on the front cover gnawing away at some bone or other aint from that film. That shot is from (not even a spag) the mexi-western ‘EL Tunco Maclovio’. How trainspotty is that amigos!?

Excellent bit of spotting…10 out of 10 :D.

So negative and bleak this one and thats why I like the film.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:2, topic:971”]It’s a long time since I’ve seen it but I remember thinking it was ok. The gore didn’t bother me but I thought the whole thing a bit ‘slow’.
And another useless bit of trivia that I’m proud of spotting here …
The ugly fellow on the front cover gnawing away at some bone or other aint from that film. That shot is from (not even a spag) the mexi-western ‘EL Tunco Maclovio’. How trainspotty is that amigos!?[/quote]

The gore didn’t bother me, as such, I just thought that the shots of guts lasted too long.

Is ‘EL Tunco Maclovio’ any good & is it available on DVD?

Ditto…

I’ve written a review of it somewhere in this forum. I think it has it’s own thread. It also gets an honorable mention in the ‘nudity’ thread. You can contact me for trades if you want. It is hard to get I think. This is how good it is … (worth showing these again) :wink:

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Just curious, Rev…
Is your copy in English?
I have had no problems locating Spanish language versions (I am only a 20 minute drive from Mexico…and the film is always available in Mexican video shops); but, I have rarely seen it with English audio or subtitles. I used to have a copy with English audio that I picked up from Luminous Film & Video Wurks a long time ago; but, the video quality on that was so bad I tossed it.

Let me know what you can, when you can, amigo!

Edit: PS= I like EL TUNCO MACLOVIO!!

Well, my copy is dubbed into English, and you’ll see from the ‘grab’ that it’s got Greek subs. The ‘cover’ I got is in Mexican and says 85 mins on it. It is a bit ropey in parts - I’ve left a scratch on the ‘grab’ to show what it can be like - there are burnholes and faded bits, but overall its pretty o.k. picturewise and in sound quality - certainly watchable and better that some others I’ve got.
As we know with this genre, needs must - and sometimes the only copy to be had ain’t so hot.
Good nihalistic film tho’, altho there are some obvious jumps or cuts - but not with the nudity and violence methinks! :slight_smile:

Anyway, this is the bit that made me think it was related to the cover of Cut Throats Nine (to get back on theme).
Not an exact match but you see what I mean … (anybody think it belongs to CT9 instead and got a better match?)

I wish I had a copy of the original Mexican poster for EL TUNCO MACLOVIO to post here…then you could see what you already have suspected, Rev. amigo!
The image they used for the CUT-THROATS NINE dvd release (as shown above) is, indeed, taken directly from the Mexican poster for EL TUNCO MACLOVIO.

Any tips on where I could get an English language copy?
I have two different Spanish language versions (one I purchased while I was in Almeria a few years ago…and another I picked up in a Mexican video shop just across the border).

I love this unusual western/horror , i must watch it again sometime.

I cannot comment on it as i have only watched it twice, i bought it in 2006 .

I found this dvd cover - is that the same image as the poster? It’s gotta be the same fella as el Tunc. cos there’s another bit in the film where he has that stripy shadow by his eyes. Another bit of recycled spaghetti-mexi mix.
(I’ll send you my version across to your side of the pond if you want amigo … pm if so.)

Yes sir! That is exactly the central image from the Mexican poster.
Many, many thanks for the offer…but, I do believe a copy has been sorted, at this point.

This movie left me kind of confused. I had to think about it for a while before giving my opinion. Now i’m gonna write down some of my conclusions.
Cut throats nine is most known for its gore scenes, but for me these are the least important things in it. At times i thought it would be better if those were left out, because in some scenes they just felt like something added as an afterthought. The gutting scenes for example, should have been left out, they felt a little bit out of place. And all of them outshined the movie that could have been top 20 matieral for me. It’s frustrating for me to see how much of a missed opportunity this movie is. Great landscapes, interesting plot and the this overhelming bleak feeling make it a pleasure to watch. But sometimes it loses pace, the music is unremarkable and there are some places that it just goes for exploitation for the sake of it. don’t get me wrong i have nothing against exploitation movies and gore, but this wasn’t exploitation movie. It was a an ‘almost great’ western with added exploitation touches that lacked any class. Still 8/10, but it could have been a perfect movie in the vein of “The great silence”.

Waiting for a proper DVD release of this one. I’m sure to love it.

By the way, shouldn’t this one be moved to “eurowestern” section. I tried to do that but for some unknown reason i couldn’t :frowning: There are also some other eurowesterns in ‘western board’ that should be moved

I thought it was great, one of the most unpredictable movies i’ve ever seen. I just wish the end audio was in sync.

Speaking of unpredictability - i liked those revealing flashbacks and the way they were itndroduced. Damn, the more i think of it, it seems to me that some repeated viewings may even help placing it in my top 20.

Yeah me too, love the way it stops on characters faces cutting to a flashback… the direction was pretty strong I think.

I have always avoided this movie, thinking it was a gory stinker

Maybe I should check it out after all …

Is this really a Paella western? Anyway, I saw this film back to back with a reason to live a reason to die. I liked the latter better but this one is still good. Very creepy atmosphere and very sickening film. I liked the music on the menu of the US release of this film. Was it made just for this DVD or is it from a different westerm? If so, wich one?