Coolest Spaghetti Western Title

Okay, ION, here we go:

20 - Una Nuvola di polvere… un grido di morte… arriva Sartana
A cloud of dust … a scream of death … Sartana’s coming

Nuvola = cloud, polvere = dust, grido = scream, cry
Arriva, from arrivare = (literally) to arrive, so you would say ‘Sartana is here’, or ‘Sartana is in town’ (it was translated this way for several titles), but in Italian, when you say ‘arrivo’, it means ‘I’m coming’.

A beautiful title, doing full justice to the possibilities of the musical Italian language. Open you mouth and stress the letters in bold strongly:

Una Nuvola di polvere… un grido di morte… arriva Sartana

There are several English titles, but the original title tops them all

Dead on!

Django il Bastardo. Cool :slight_smile:

I love the title Cemetery Without Crosses. It is simple, clean and direct. The whole world is a boneyard fellows, dating back to the beginning of time. We all get planted sooner or later. Cemeteries are for the living, not the dead (they don’t give a shit anymore).

Also, The Great Silence. As mentioned above.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:41, topic:1281”]Okay, ION, here we go:

20 - Una Nuvola di polvere… un grido di morte… arriva Sartana
A cloud of dust … a scream of death … Sartana’s coming

Nuvola = cloud, polvere = dust, grido = scream, cry
Arriva, from arrivare = (literally) to arrive, so you would say ‘Sartana is here’, or ‘Sartana is in town’ (it was translated this way for several titles), but in Italian, when you say ‘arrivo’, it means ‘I’m coming’.

A beautiful title, doing full justice to the possibilities of the musical Italian language. Open you mouth and stress the letters in bold strongly:

Una Nuvola di polvere… un grido di morte… arriva Sartana

There are several English titles, but the original title tops them all[/quote]

Una nuvola di polvere is not A Cloud of Powder?
I thought this means a powder cloud from a gun followed by the death scream, preceding the arrival of Sartana the killer.

[quote=“stanton, post:45, topic:1281”]Una nuvola di polvere is not A Cloud of Powder?
I thought this means a powder cloud from a gun followed by the death scream, preceding the arrival of Sartana the killer.[/quote]

The word ‘polvere’ normally means ‘dust’, but I checked it, it can also mean '(gun)powder’
So maybe you’re right, it’s all about the context

I thought of the cloud of dust caused by a dying man hitting the ground (instead of the cloud from a gun), followed by a death scream, preceding the arrival of Sartana the killer

But you may be right

Anyway, go on with these titles, I enjoy it

Thanks

Thinking about it, your order (powder-scream-Sartana) seems more logical than mine
I mean, people scream before they hit the ground, at least when they’re shot by Sartana

This is by the way one of the reasons why I started this thing here
Sebastian proposed we should pick up this ‘Learn Italian with film titles’ business, but I know how easily mistakes are made

I’ll do 1-2 every day, the order isn’t very important for the moment, but I selected my 5 favourite titles - titles, not films, Fidani is a prolific goal scorer in this game. Maybe he wasn’t a great director, but he sure knew how to make up a title. Still my favourite title is not from a Fidani movie.

“What’s wrong with being sexy?”

“Not ‘sexy’, ‘sexist’!”

:wink:

How about “Heads I Kill you, Tails your dead…They call me Hallelujah”

19 - Spirito Santo e le 5 magnifiche canaglie
Holy Ghost and the 5 magnificent scoundrels

Canaglie, plural of canaglia = trash, scoundrel, good-for-nothing

I’ve never seen the film; it would be interesting to know how they solved a script problem: two characters are Sicilians out West, who - in the Italian version - really speak Sicilian, a dialect largely incomprehensible to other Italians. Did they make (for instance) Scots or Irishmen of them in the English version?

The working title of this movie was: Spirito santo e le 5 magnifiche carogne : the word carogna is also used for scoundrel, good-for-nothing, but it’s extremely rude, one of the worst abusive words in the Italian language, especially in relation to women of a certain age (you’ll quickly understand why). It’s the official word for the dead body of an animal, a carrion. The Holy Ghost and a carrion in one title, was to much for the producers.

Spirito santo e le 5 magnifiche canaglie

[gl] is pronounced like the (li) in the word battalion

English titles: Gunmen and the Holy Ghost, Return of the Holy Ghost

As mentioned above some German Titels are great.

Days of Violence (I Giorni della Violenza): German: Sein Wechselgeld ist Blei. The translation would be like this: His change is lead. :smiley:

But Days of Violence is much better

I always liked this one:

Petroleummiezen

When I first saw it, I didn’t know what a Mieze was
If I’m not mistaken, it seemed to be a term to indicate a beautiful woman (probably the word is not longer used; by the way: was it ever popular?I can’t say i ever heard it except for in this title), and in the movie, BB and CC sure are beautiful
But I can’t find a good English title that renders the idea and sound of the German title
Maybe something like ‘Petroleum knock-outs’ or ‘oil babes’

I would say “Mieze” is just another name for a girl or a cat. :wink:
I think it’s an oldfashioned word which isn’t used anymore.

Also funny: Massacre Time (Tempo di Massacro). German Title: Django - Sein Gesangsbuch war der Colt. I would translate it like this: Django - His Songbook was his Colt. This Title makes somehow sense in german but I believe not very much in English.

But nothing against Execution . German Title: Django - Die Bibel ist kein Kartenspiel. Django - The Bible is not a card game. :smiley:

I like the german title of Once upon time in the west, “Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod”. Isn’t that something like “Play me the song of death”?

In that case “Oil pussies” probably is a good translation …

:smiley: :smiley: Cool Name for a Movie with CC and BB!

I always liked the title until I found out what’s the real name of the Movie is. Duck You Sucker (Gui la testa) is named “Todesmelodie”. Which means Death Melody. BTW Once upon a time … the revolution would be the best title. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:58, topic:1281”]BTW Once upon a time … the revolution would be the best title. :)[/quote]I agree. Duck You Sucker is kinda stupid title and often used Fistful of Dynamite sounds too much of a ripp-off title and unoriginal.

A friend of mine looked at my spaghetti tapes and was immediately drawn to ‘I came, I saw, I shot’. I had to convince him that the movie was nowhere near as good as the title, otherwise I would have had to watch that crap again.