Cjamango (Edoardo Mulargia, 1967)

Iā€™m sure itā€™s a Pal master. And it has a Pal runtime.

I was told that the Koch Media CJAMANGO and the Wild East CJAMANGO came from the same licensing source. So, it should pretty much be the same print. However, there is the chance that Koch Media was able to spend a little more money on restoring said print. I have not seen the Koch Media version; but, from what a couple of people have told me it doesnā€™t look much different (if different at all) from the Wild East disc and that it is the weakest (from a visual standpoint) of all the Koch Media releases, thus far. Yet, I think a ā€œweakā€ release from Koch is still great, in my opinion!

I actually like CJAMANGO quite a lot. The only thing I donā€™t like about the film is the annoying kid. Everything else works for me.
I canā€™t say it is a bright and shining example of what a Spaghetti Western should be; but, it certainly isnā€™t a bad film and I find it highly entertaining.
Possibly my favorite Western starring role for Sean Tood (Ivan Rassimov) .

The other Mulargia/Todd SW is better imo. Donā€™t Wait Django, Shoot is absolutely kidfree and has a better story. The directing is on a similar good level than Cjamango.

Database comment:

Cjamango is a well directed variation on the formula of FoD, but suffers from an uninspired screenplay and a few needless sentimental scenes with a cute kid. If the name Cjamango is gleaned obviously from Django, the hero with a poncho-like cloak is more inspired by the Clint Eastwood character.

Cjamango was the 3rd of four SWs in which Mulargia and Musolini worked together. After Edoardo Mulargia threw over with Producer Vincenzo Musolini, a sequel was directed by Musolini himself. In May God Forgive You ā€¦ but I Donā€™t (1968), Cjamango was played by George Ardisson.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:64, topic:944ā€]Database comment:

Cjamango is a well directed variation on the formula of FoD, but suffers from an uninspired screenplay and a few needless sentimental scenes with a cute kid. If the name Cjamango is gleaned obviously from Django, the hero with a poncho-like cloak is more inspired by the Clint Eastwood character.

Cjamango was the 3rd of four SWs in which Mulargia and Musolini worked together. After Edoardo Mulargia threw over with Producer Vincenzo Musolini, a sequel was directed by Musolini himself. In May God Forgive You ā€¦ but I Donā€™t (1968), Cjamango was played by George Ardisson.[/quote]

Still have to watch the movie (saw it long time ago, but only remember the kid), so I canā€™t say if I agree with your judgement.

I would use derived from instead of gleaned from; Iā€™ve never met glean from in this context, to me glean from is more something like ā€˜to scrape togetherā€™, ā€˜to collectā€™ or ā€˜to harvestā€™ (but maybe one of the native speakers thinks otherwise)

Iā€™d also change the tense: the name Cjamango was/has been derived from (or use a diffferent construction: If the name Cjamango is a clear reference to Django, the poncho-clad character is closer to Eastwoodā€™s No Name)

Fine, Iā€™ll change it using yout sentence with a small change:

If the name Cjamango is a clear derivation from Django, the poncho-clad character is closer to Eastwoodā€™s No Name.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:64, topic:944ā€]Database comment:

Cjamango was the 3rd of four SWs in which Mulargia and Musolini worked together. After Edoardo Mulargia threw over with Producer Vincenzo Musolini, a sequel was directed by Musolini himself. In May God Forgive You ā€¦ but I Donā€™t (1968), Cjamango was played by George Ardisson.[/quote]

Very good comment, Stanton. As always!
I find the actual film very solid. But the child. It howls and howls and howls ā€¦ and does not stop. Sory, but sometimes you would be happyā€¦ :slight_smile: :smiley: ;D :wink: :frowning:

The film has some interesting duels. Overall, not great, but very solid. Mulargia rarely disappointed.
My Rating 6 / 10.

I think there were in this thread already a few level-headed proposals what best to do with the kid ā€¦

My suggestion: The main character in a Fidani-Western. :wink:
Ohh, that would be a very great punishment.

Perla (Helene Chanel) is an uncommon, very interesting female character:she is anything but defenceless, and with a firearm she looks really menacing.

a poor rip off of fistfull of dollars
the character tried very hard to be like ā€˜man with no nameā€™ but he failā€™s a lotā€¦

SW producer, writer and director Vincenzo Musolino played two villains (called Ramon and Hondo respectively) in Vayas con Dios, Gringo/Go with God, Gringo and Non aspettare Django spara/Donā€™t Wait, Djangoā€¦ Shoot!, but there is a sort of mystery regarding the opening credits of Cjamango, where his pseudonym Bill Jackson appears with a certain prominence:

According to a minority of sources the pseudonym Bill Jackson refers to Gino Buzzanca (also not present in the film), but as you can see - the screenshot is from the opening credits of Non aspettare Django spara - that is not true at all.

Therefore, is the present-day version of Cjamango missing a sub-plot involving Musolino? Almost certainly the answer is NO, because a check reveals that the name Bill Jackson is missing from the original posters. But considering that Musolino is the producer of the film (regularly credited), his inclusion in the opening titles is undoubtedly a rather strange mistakeā€¦ Impenetrable SW mysteries!

Did a rewatch of this over the last couple of nights. Philā€™s review says everything there is to say reallyā€¦
except that for some strange reason I didnā€™t find the kid toooo annoying. :o

It is a spag in the FOD rip-off/homage mould, but that ainā€™t a problem for me.
Plenty of clichĆ©s - ridiculous, unnecessary stakes in a card game - fat moustachioed Mexican cackling away in said scene, beatings, warring gangs,sleazy gropey mexi-boys, and everybody in lust with a femme fatale played brilliantly by the smouldering Helene Chanel. I like the fact that sheā€™s as hard as nails but only really shows any tangible emotion for the kid (her father is a drunk and although she accepts this and cares for him - buying him whisky and such - there is a coldness between them). She does show a potential for moistening for our hero (and her saviour) on a couple of occasions, but he is quite cold towards her (originally setting out to kill her father - who betrayed him for half a bottle of whisky) - and she has this fatalistic world-weariness aura about her that suits her character down to the ground.
Thereā€™s some nice camera work at times that helps to enhance the moodiness of some of the scenes as well.

I gave this 3 stars - itā€™s a solid (if derivative) spag and enjoyable as such.

[Edit - oh yeahā€¦ thereā€™s some talk of different releases of this - is there a definative ā€˜bestā€™ version out there? I watched my old and acceptable quality Dutch vid-rip that has thankfully small subs - a bit soft imagewise but pretty good.]

Finally watched it. Thought I had seen it before, but it turned out to be new to me
Anyway, an average spaghetti, helped by some good action scenes and a great performance (and presence) of HelĆØne Chanel

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cjamango_Review

Would anyone be willing to sell me the Wild East disc?

Not sure if youā€™ve seen or bid, but thereā€™s a copy on eBay for $30:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CJAMANGO-1967-SPAGHETTI-WESTERN-DVD-OOP-/221948186514?hash=item33ad248f92:g:eVgAAOSwAKxWUhgT

If youā€™re not picky, there seems to be an Australian boot of the WE disc up, complete with back cover text copied word for word ā€œWild Eastā€™s widescreen presentation ofā€¦ā€
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CJAMANGO-SEAN-TODD-NEW-SEALED-DVD-/272056817066?hash=item3f57d995aa:g:7QYAAOSwxH1T3N4k

Yeah I saw that but the postage to the UK is expensive. Not sure whether itā€™s worth bidding. I already have the Koch disc but I just want to complete my Wild East collection.

Available for trade:

Death Rides a Horse
And God Said to Cain/Twice a Judas
Alive or preferably Dead

I ended up bidding anyway. Iā€™ll be paying 35.96 in total. Iā€™ve gotten most of my Wild East discs for Ā£8 each, so Iā€™m not sure how to feel about this. Iā€™ve never paid more than Ā£20 odd even for the out of print ones. Watching the seconds tick away just makes you feel nervous about losing something. Itā€™s definitely not worth Ā£35.96 but I have the Wild East disease unfortunately. :cold_sweat: