Anthony Steffen

Interesting. This is the only one of Giorgio Ferroni’s westerns I don’t have. Only one he made without Gemma, I think.
Thanks

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:59, topic:841”]To me, I don’t see much difference between his performance in GENTLEMAN KILLER (which I like a lot, by the way) and his performance in KILLER KID (which I also like a lot!).

The best titles you have in your queue, in my opinion, are:

BLOOD AT SUNDOWN
GARRINGO
APOCALYPSE JOE
RINGO THE MARK OF REVENGE

And pretty much in that order, I’d say.

About the aspect ratio problem on the Wild East disc…I think everyone has that problem as it was a defect in the mastering of the discs.
You can force the right ratio by monkeying around with the 16x9 settings on your TV and your DVD player (I can’t recall the correct combination, at the moment, but I know it can be done). Ally, at Wild East, says that he hopes they are able to re-issue GENTLEMAN KILLER…properly remastered to fix this issue…in the future. However, it is all up to their being able to work out a new licensing agreement with the film’s owner (contrary to an apparently very popular belief, Wild East do properly license the films they release on DVD).

By the way, compadre…I got the poster/program!! MANY thanks!!![/quote]

Thanks for the info. I had just popped the new Koch DVDs in to quickly check them out. I’ll watch Killer Kid first. I love the Koch Media quality. It did look to be the more interesting of the two.
The more I am exposed to Mr. Steffen the more interesting I find him. I also liked Man Called Django.
He was unique in the Spaghetti world for, at the very least, his prolific career. I don’t know if others have this perspective but he certainly seemd to be the King of the “B” Spaghettis. Pretty much all low budget affairs. Funny too, in that he was in movies that riffed (maybe in title only) on the Django, Ringo & Sabata characters.

Nice to know about the Wild East DVD. I’ll try to adjust my settings.

Glad you liked the poster, my pleasure.

Since I couldn’t find a topic for “A Stranger In Paso Bravo” I’ll ask here: Does anyone know what the OAR is on “A Stranger In Paso Bravo”?

Most probably it’s 2,35:1, but I can’t get confirmation of this anywhere (so far)

Most spaghettis were shot at this AR, 2,35:1
A few were shot at 1,85:1 or 1,66:1 (Corbucci used this for Django and The Great Silence)

The film was remade (unofficially) one year later by Antonio Margheriti as … E DIO DISSE A CAINO (And God said to Cain); see for this:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/And_God_said_to_Cain_Review

I haven’t reviewed this Steffen movie yet, but hope to do so in the near future

A Stranger in Paso Bravo is terrific. I have a DVD-R of this. Its one of Steffen’s best, if not, THE BEST. Highly recommended.

For starters I seem to recall many complaining about this film being a horrible comedy western In which Steffen stars…

Secondly, W DJANGO has flashes of embarassing comedy as well.

[quote=“YourPallbearer, post:66, topic:841”]For starters I seem to recall many complaining about this film being a horrible comedy western In which Steffen stars…

Secondly, W DJANGO has flashes of embarassing comedy as well.[/quote]

I wouldn’t bother quoting anything SD said during his eventful time with us. He was a man of ‘unique’ opinions. Check out some of the bizarre rants that he posted and you’ll see what I mean. On second thoughts, don’t. Life is too short.

A shame we can no longer click on his profile to see such rants (they always give me a chuckle). Life may be too short but I’m sitting in front of a computer awaiting for certain items to download so I’m not exactly the poster boy of a contructive person during these times. ;D

I couldn’t help but notice but it seems like he someimes looks kind of like george hilton. other times he looks like his lips are really dry and crusty. Its just a weird observation I made.

Loved him in Train for Durango much more lively than he usually is, he was also good in Apocalypse Joe I thought… but in No Room to Die you could replace him with a cardborad cut out in most scenes… he shows a tiny bit of his teeth at the start but his face is like stone for the rest of the movie. The more films I see him in the more I like him, i’m sort of a fan.

Agreed. What is interesting about Anthony is his performance in Django the Bastard. He is in cardboard cut out mode for most of the film but is very animated in the flashback scenes. He could obviously turn on and off the “wooden” acting when he wanted. I feel that he just took the silent impassive loner thing a bit too far in some films and unjustly earned a reputation for being wooden.

I thought the part in No Room to Die when Steffen was watching Mario Brega play tug o’ war was probably his worst acting. Good thing it was such a short scene.

But overall, he’s one of my favs.

Have you noticed one funny thing, and i believe it happens in EVERY Anthony Steffen western. At some point he just have to tumble to the ground while shooting his enemies. He even does it in Django the Bastard where he otherwise plays it very starchy and ghost-like. It’s just so hilarious to spot that moment from Steffen films.

ANTHONY STEFFEN TUMBLING HIGHLIGHTS ;D (check list)

Why go on Killing?
A Stranger in Paso Bravo
Killer Kid
Man who Cried for Revenge
No Room to Die
Django the Bastard
(2 Pistols and a Coward)
Tequila
W Django
Shango
Blood at Sundown

(more to come…)

One thing I noticed about steffen. He NEVER twirls his pistol. I’ve never seen him do it once and I’ve seen most of his westerns. Why is that?

Maybe he didn’t know how to. Eli Wallach, although a star in many a western, couldn’t twirl his pistol or draw that fast so that is why he had his pistol on some string in GBU. Could be the same with Steffen.

Its actually quite easy if you practice. I have a hard time believing that a guy who starred in some 27 westerns would not know how to twirl a gun, unless he’s got severe arthritis or he is retarded or something.

I guess your right. I have a toy revolver from many halloween’s ago and I can twirl pretty good.

Maybe he just didn’t really think that he needed to twirl his pistols to look cool.

Probably because he already does!

1 Like

Exactly.