Anthony Steffen

I’m notorious for exaggerating stuff so just take what I said with a grain of salt! ;D

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:40, topic:841”]Interesting article about the man:

http://www.europeanfilmreview.co.uk/articles/anthony_steffen.htm[/quote]

Excellent link COL. DM this article in Europeanfilmreview is comprehensive, factual, clear
and KICKS into oblivion any foolish detractors who still ignorantly try to detract from
ANTHONY STEFFEN’S VAST ACTING SKILLS in a wide range of Classic SWs/Giallos.

The article is well researched/fair/emphatic as the life and career of this great actor is
traced from his noble origins, to service in 2nd world war and his rise into film stardom.
Anthony Steffen learnt his skills under Italian masters like DeSica, unto peplums or
sword and sandal epic films, progressing to SWs Classics , to Gialllos, To Adventure etc
What malicious critics of ANTHONY STEFFEN try to call “wooden” is actually a masterful
acting skill that Steffen developed and was required to play the heroic avenger in SWS,

Quote: “Anthony Steffen was the stoic, Italian everyman…caught up in machinations of
corrupt powerbrokers but succeeding thanks to his (Steffen’s) sense of morality, courage and talent with a gun”. :slight_smile:
The heroic, avenging , justice roles in SWs required that exact persona /performance
that Anthony Steffen gave, in later Giallos/Horror he was extremely versatile/different.

Every SW fan the world over OWES MAXIMUM RESPECT and GRATITUDE to this actor

RIP ANTHONY STEFFEN :slight_smile: Gone but never forgotten. 25 SW No 1 Leading Man

Anthony Steffen and Anita Strindberg in TROPIC OF CANCER 1973

Anthony Steffen In the Classic SW “A COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF” 1963

1 Like

SARTANA DJANGO,I too like Anthony Steffen but as of yet only had the pleasure of several of the many films he has stared in.
would it be possible to make one of your lists with top Anthony Steffen films.Thanks!

[quote=“DJANGO SARTANA, post:43, topic:841”]SARTANA DJANGO,I too like Anthony Steffen but as of yet only had the pleasure of several of the many films he has stared in.
would it be possible to make one of your lists with top Anthony Steffen films.Thanks![/quote]

Hi Django Sartana (my name in reverse :D)

Welcome to the SW forum and nice to see your first post in support of Anthony Steffen.
I like very much your Hannie Caulder/Raquel Welch picture as I am a big fan of both.
Of course since you ask( and I was anyway ;)) I will do very soon a Career Highlights
recommended Anthony Steffen Films with the ones in BOLD as my tips to watch.
The Films not in bold are also great but less urgent for DVD watching.

SD this is a great photo of Steffen you have posted :).

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Gee thanks Ennioo :D, I wish I could get the DVD also .

Thanks alot on both counts!
Although I have Viewed a fare share of SW,many of them Did not star Anthony Steffen.So far my favorite has been A Coffin For The Sheriff,But really I have not yet even scratched the surface considering he has stared in 25SW.Well I look forward to your Top List!!

Yeah great picture SD. Steffen looks pretty fit in that picture. He’s got a six pack!

1 Like

:o :o For God’s sake COL. DM you promised me that your roving eyes ::slight_smile: were only for

the girls :smiley: :wink: but reading the above I am now doubtful about your intentions :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:49, topic:841”]:o :o For God’s sake COL. DM you promised me that your roving eyes ::slight_smile: were only for

the girls :smiley: :wink: but reading the above I am now doubtful about your intentions :wink: :D[/quote]

Yes SD, forgive me but I just can’t help that I’m going all brokeback over Anthony Steffen!

Thats some nice looking box art. What are the best sights to download custom DVD covers?

I believe Col. DM that on this forum there is vast information on DVD Covers & Sites D/L.
Having said that I will also make enquiries in case you dont find it on the forum.
I think that was my only cover :smiley: and I am looking for downloads as you are.
We will see who gets there first and strikes gold :wink:

ANTHONY STEFFEN CAREER HIGHLIGHTS RECOMMENDED CLASSIC FILMS TO VIEW

ALL The Following Classic SWS GIALLOS THRILLERS HORROR Star
ANTHONY STEFFEN

Aphrodite Godess Of Love 1958 Belinda Lee
Vendetta At Sorrento 1963 Diana Martin
Invincible Gladiators 1964 Claudie Lange
Stop The Slayings 1964 Evelyn Stewart
LAST TOMAHAWK 1964 Karin Dor
A COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF 1964 Eduardo Fajardo
7 DOLLARS ON THE RED 1965 Loredana Nusciak
An Angel For Satan 1965 Barbara Steele
BLOOD AT SUNDOWN 1965 Gianni Garko
FEW DOLLARD FOR DJANGO 1966 Gloria Osuma
Killer Kid 1967 Luisa Baratto
Gentleman Joe Kill 1967 Silvia Solar
HIS NAME CRIED REVENGE 1967 Evelyn Stewart
DEAD DONT COUNT 1968 Mark Damon
A STRANGER IN PASO BRAVO 1968 Giulia Rubini
TWO GUNS AND A COWARD 1968 Richard Wyler
TRAIN TO DURANGO 1968 Mark Damon
GARRINGO 1969 Peter Lee Lawrence
NO ROOM TO DIE 1969 Nicoletta Macchiavelli
DJANGO THE BASTARD 1969 Jean Louis
SHANGO 1970 Maurice Poli
ARIZONA COLT RETURNS 1970 Marcella Michelangeli
KILL DJANGO 1971 Krista Nell
SABATA THE KILLER 1971 Peter Lee Lawrence
NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE 1971 Erika Blanc
Man Called Apocalypse Joe 1972 Eduardo Fajardo
CRIMES OF THE BLACK CAT 1972 Sylva Koshina
W DJANGO 1972 Chris Avram
They Believed He Was No Saint 1972 Daniel Martin
TROPIC OF CANCER 1972 Anita Strindberg
Lady Dynamite 1973 Orchidea DeSantis
Fuzzy The Hero 1973 Eduardo Fajardo
Sixteen 1974 Giorgio Ardisson
EVIL EYE 1974 Jorge Rivero
KILLERS ARE OUR GUESTS 1974 Margaret Lee
KILLER WITH A 1000 EYES 1975 Raf Baldassare
Dallas / The Killer Came From A Far 1975 Gillian Hills
Diary Of An Erotic Murderess 1976 Marisa Mell
Rome The Other Side Of Violence 1977 Marcel Bouzuffi
KILLERFISH 1979 James Franciscus
Play Motel 1979 Ray Lovelock
Hell Prison 1980 Ajita Wilson
Orinoco 1980 Cristina Lay
Savage Island 1985 Linda Blair
The Lover 1989 Malu

Anthony Steffen Films in BOLD are recommended for DVD Viewing URGENT.

1 Like

ANTHONY STEFFEN HAS ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREATEST LIST OF FILM CREDITS

A Coffin For The Sheriff 1963 Anthony Steffen Cult SW

1 Like

This movie is listed as one of Steffen’s westerns in the database: Uccidi Django… uccidi per primo! (by Garrone)
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Uccidi_Django…_uccidi_per_primo%21

Also listed is: Uno, dos, tres… dispara otra vez (by Demichelli)
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Uno%2C_dos%2C_tres…_dispara_otra_vez

They are both A.K.A.ed as “Tequila”

Are these both correct? Or is the first one wrong?

Thanks
RF ???

Ha ha, tricky!

The 1st one is named Tequila in Spain, a Garrone western without Steffen.

The 2nd one is named Tequila in Italy, and that’s the one with Steffen.
As Tequila is the original title, the data base entry is done with the wrong title. Should be changed to Tequila.

[quote=“IMMORTAL 1960s, post:53, topic:841”]ANTHONY STEFFEN HAS ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREATEST LIST OF FILM CREDITS

A Coffin For The Sheriff 1963 Anthony Steffen Cult SW

[/quote]

Typical SD!

Nice poster.

Wrong year.

No cult.

“One of the all time greatest list of film credits” bullshit.

That’s why I miss him, that’s why I don’t miss him.

[quote=“stanton, post:55, topic:841”]Ha ha, tricky!

The 1st one is named Tequila in Spain, a Garrone western without Steffen.

The 2nd one is named Tequila in Italy, and that’s the one with Steffen.
As Tequila is the original title, the data base entry is done with the wrong title. Should be changed to Tequila.[/quote]

Thanks Stanton, I thought that one was wrong. The IMDB also has Steffen in this film (Uccidi Django… uccidi per primo!) but I suspected it was wrong too. It has him listed far down on the cast list. Far below where a “star” of his stature would “merit”!

I agree with part two.

I watched part of Gentleman Killer last night. Unfortunately I did not have time to watch the whole thing (I’m like Chris Casey, I hardly ever watch just scenes from a movie- although I DO watch opening credits if I like the music).
I LOVE Steffen in this. He shows some charisma. He steps out of his (to me) usual silent stranger/avenger role and does it up well. I’d seen this movie a couple of years ago and remembered liking it. Great driving, spankin’ score by Bruno Nicolai (directed by Morricone for a change of pace/roles!).

I have two questions aficianados:

1. What other roles does Steffen have like this where he steps so far out of his usual type?
    I just got Killer Kid & Seven Dollars On The Red in the Mail (they look like more of the same-old)
    in my queue are:
    Apocalypse Joe
    Arriva Sabata
    Ringo: The Mark Of Vengeance
    Blood At Sundown/$1,000 On The Black
    Garringo
    Few Dollars For Django

2. I have the Wild East DVD version of Gentleman Killer. On my TV it plays INCREDIBLY compressed/streched. Does anybody else have this problem?

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:58, topic:841”]I have two questions aficianados:

1. What other roles does Steffen have like this where he steps so far out of his usual type?
    I just got Killer Kid & Seven Dollars On The Red in the Mail (they look like more of the same-old)
    in my queue are:
    Apocalypse Joe
    Arriva Sabata
    Ringo: The Mark Of Vengeance
    Blood At Sundown/$1,000 On The Black
    Garringo
    Few Dollars For Django

2. I have the Wild East DVD version of Gentleman Killer. On my TV it plays INCREDIBLY compressed/streched. Does anybody else have this problem?[/quote]

Well, I am in the minority, amigo…I don’t think Steffen is so “wooden” in all of his films; so, I am probably not the right person to respond to your query regarding other roles where he “steps out” of his usual personae. To me, I don’t see much difference between his performance in GENTLEMAN KILLER (which I like a lot, by the way) and his performance in KILLER KID (which I also like a lot!).

The best titles you have in your queue, in my opinion, are:

BLOOD AT SUNDOWN
GARRINGO
APOCALYPSE JOE
RINGO THE MARK OF REVENGE

And pretty much in that order, I’d say.

I don’t care much for ARRIVA SABATA or FEW DOLLARS FOR DJANGO. If these two movies, and DJANGO THE BASTARD, were all anyone had ever seen of Anthony Steffen…then, I could understand why he might be deemed wooden!
Of course, in DJANGO THE BASTARD he is supposed to be like that…but, in the other two films, he just sort of sleepwalks through his roles.

About the aspect ratio problem on the Wild East disc…I think everyone has that problem as it was a defect in the mastering of the discs.
You can force the right ratio by monkeying around with the 16x9 settings on your TV and your DVD player (I can’t recall the correct combination, at the moment, but I know it can be done). Ally, at Wild East, says that he hopes they are able to re-issue GENTLEMAN KILLER…properly remastered to fix this issue…in the future. However, it is all up to their being able to work out a new licensing agreement with the film’s owner (contrary to an apparently very popular belief, Wild East do properly license the films they release on DVD).

By the way, compadre…I got the poster/program!! MANY thanks!!!

I thought he was a bit different in Two Pistols and a Coward for a good part of the film.