Anthony Steffen

ANTHONY STEFFEN 1929-2004 SW MOST PROLIFIC LEADING MAN WITH 25 SWs

Born Antonio De Teffe, son of the Brazilian ambassador in Rome , he spoke 5 languages was talented/ sophisticated/ elegant and made his career based in Rome1950s-1980s.
Worldwide fame was achieved for ANTHONY STEFFEN with a series of Classic/Cult SWs
like :
DJANGO THE BASTARD 69, BLOOD AT SUNDOWN 65, LAST TOMAHAWK 66, GARRINGO 69 , TRAIN TO DURANGO 67 , RINGO THE FACE OF REVENGE 66 , VIVA DJANGO 70
COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF 63 SEVEN DOLLARS ON THE RED 66 MANY MORE

ANTHONY STEFFEN also made numerous outstanding Giallos, thrillers, Action. Scifi Films.

Discuss your favourite ANTHONY STEFFEN Films, His life, His co-stars and much more. :smiley:

ANTHONY STEFFEN MAN OF SWs

1 Like

Just watched “A Few Dollars for Django” again. Had last watched it a couple of years ago. Pretty good SW. Anthony Steffen was always a good SW star and Frank Wolff was always good too.

1 Like

Django the Bastard/Stranger’s Gundown in many respects is superior to Eastwood’s High Plains Drifter. I’m tempted to change my top 20 again :wink:

1 Like

DJANGO THE BASTARD 1969 ANTHONY STEFFEN Rada Rassimov

A very powerful SW deserving of a TOP 20 place for sure COL. DM. :slight_smile:

Yes AceHigh Anthony Steffen always great and “A Few $ For Django” superb film.

1 Like

Ok, you guys convinced me; I’m going to watch “The Stranger’s Gundown” tonight. Haven’t seen it in awhile. It’s more exciting than the State of the Union address…

Excellent Good Viewing AceHigh :smiley:

ANTHONY STEFFEN Leading Man 25 SW

1 Like

1 Like

Tack Lindberg :slight_smile: What a lovely poster of Anthony Steffen’s excellent film.

Man, those are some cool looking movie posters. It makes you want to see the movie just from viewing the poster itself!

I am interested in what it is about Anthony Steffen that appeals to so many. Of the lead Spaghetti stars (Steffen, Gemma, Hilton, Milian, Nero, Hill- to name a few) I like him the least.
I have to admit I am making that determination after having seen too few of his films. I have only seen Django The Bastard, Gentleman Killer & Arizona Colt Returns
He has none of the athleticism of Gemma, the charm of Nero or the humor of Hilton. And I just don’t buy him as a tough guy. I want to say that he is too skinny but Eastwood was relatively skinny too but I buy him as the tough guy. When Steffen does that bit (as do so many Spaghetti stars) of raising his head slowly and peering out from underneath the hat brim, I just want to laugh. Eastwood gives me chills when he does that. Steffen just leaves me cold. He has the least charisma of any prolific Spaghetti lead I can think of.
Also, aren’t most of his movies pretty crappy affairs? The closest film of his that I can think of that might be considered a “Classic” is Django The Bastard. You’d think he’d have a few better roles in better movies since he’s done so many.
I don’t mean to be critical of anybody who likes Steffen. My preferences are just my own. But I am interested in finding out what about him appeals to so many.

@ Lindberg

Indeed, that poster is awesome and made me shiver.

The poster was used when the film was released theatrically in Holland, I guess somewhere in the early '70s
I saw the movie then and remember the day very well because of and incident that took place. A man refused to put out his cigaret and the operator threatened to stop the film. The were some fifty or sixty visitors and most of them ordered the guy to put out the cigaret. It took a least ten minutes before he did so (when he had finished one he immediately took another one) and I guess I missed most what happened in the film during the time. I remember some of the action, but have forgotten what it’s about.

ANTHONY STEFFEN Rip is the NUMBER 1 LEADING MAN IN SWS With 25 Films

ANTHONY STEFFEN made some of the GREATEST SWS with REVENGE/CRUELTY serious westerns, without stupid Terence Hill Like "comedy crap"
Humour in SWs needs to be very minimal and very occasional , the plot requires the SWs to be nihilistic, savage, violent, desperate, revengeful, realistic, grim and evocative.

ANTHONY STEFFEN made some of the most memorable, revengeful, greatest SWS.

I suggest Rfielding, you need to WATCH MORE than just 3 films of Anthony Steffen before making such utterly stupid nonsensical “comments”, they dont call an actor for 25 films as lead unless he was THE BEST and Top Box Office making money and acting Top rate… The role of the hero/gunman/revenger in SWs was played superbly by Steffen

If you want to see as you call it “CRAPPY AFFAIRS” than that would be the abysmal, unfunny Terence Hill/Bud Spencer so called idiot “comedies” of just as CRAPPY is the GREAT SILENCE 1968 which has an abysmal third rate cast of Trintignant (a dull drama “actor”) and an UGLY/Stiff “leading lady” in Vonetta McGee. That is your CRAP a good plot SW ruined by poor lead actors. A bad cast and “comedy” ruins SWs.

This stupidity about “skinny” and how an actor looks over his hat is again wasting time with trivial unimportant matters. Millions loved Steffen’s mannerisms he was succesful.
ANTHONY STEFFEN has made 25 SWs most of which I have seen and regard as superb,
violent, serious, revengeful, well written/ beautifully directed and outstandingly acted.

As I said before we really need to APPRECIATE, PRAISE and TREASURE SWs 60s/70s. :slight_smile:

Django Sartana,
Sorry to see that someone can’t have a difference of opiion with you without upsetting your apple cart.
I had hoped to make clear that, while I was offering my opinon, I did not hold it to be law. AND I acknowledged that many others DO like Steffen and that I was not criticizing them for their taste.
You were pretty rude in your post. Thankfully you don’t represent the majority on this site.

I was asking for the opinions of others regarding their like for Anthony Steffen. All you did was make me not want to listen to you.

Any reasonable people out there with anything coherent to say about Steffen?

There is nothing “rude” or “upsetting” anybody’s apples RFielding , the facts were given.

I have been EXTREMELY COHERENT, Factual and dealt with your maligning of A. Steffen.

1. His Film Record as Leading Man number 1 with 25 Sws speaks for itself.
  2. You were extremely rude, biased, inconsiderate having seen only 3 Sws Of Steffen to
    then make an outrageous “crappy” nonsensical allegation/comment.
  3. The whole tone of your post is unwelcome and out of order because Col DM, myself
    and other posters were PRAISING Anthony Steffen’s films .

I do not like the tone and manner of your post and have given you the facts which you
should have known anyway before posting.

You should also be watching MORE than 3 out of 25 before posting as you did. ???

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:14, topic:841”]There is nothing “rude” or “upsetting” anybody’s apples RFielding , the facts were given.

I have been EXTREMELY COHERENT, Factual and dealt with your maligning of A. Steffen.

1. His Film Record as Leading Man number 1 with 25 Sws speaks for itself.
  2. You were extremely rude, biased, inconsiderate having seen only 3 Sws Of Steffen to
    then make an outrageous “crappy” nonsensical allegation/comment.
  3. The whole tone of your post is unwelcome and out of order because Col DM, myself
    and other posters were PRAISING Anthony Steffen’s films .

I do not like the tone and manner of your post and have given you the facts which you
should have known anyway before posting.

You should also be watching MORE than 3 out of 25 before posting as you did. ???[/quote]

You are right. I am sorry. What I meant to say was:

1. That Anthony Steffen is the greatest.
  2. You are a brilliant and incisve cultural critic and I have no buisiness offering any opinions contrary to your own.
  3. You are a very good counter. I am impressed that you can count up to 25.
  4. Can you do any other tricks?

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:15, topic:841”]You are right. I am sorry. What I meant to say was:

1. That Anthony Steffen is the greatest.

2. You are a brilliant and incisve cultural critic and I have no buisiness offering any opinions contrary to your own.

3. You are a very good counter. I am impressed that you can count up to 25.

4. Can you do any other tricks?[/quote]

5. and 2) are self evident :o :wink:

6. I can count up to 25 but only with a calculator, still thats 22 further than you can count 8)
    4)Yes I can sing “My Way” while standing upside down in 20 feet of water :slight_smile: :wink:

And I can also SPELL the English Language quite well. :wink:
And I speak another language quite well. ;D

This forum is getting pathetic…

Say Bill,
What’s a boy to do?
Was I unreasonable in my original post?
Was I unreasonable in my second post?
Seriously…

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:13, topic:841”]Django Sartana,
Sorry to see that someone can’t have a difference of opiion with you without upsetting your apple cart.
I had hoped to make clear that, while I was offering my opinon, I did not hold it to be law. AND I acknowledged that many others DO like Steffen and that I was not criticizing them for their taste.
You were pretty rude in your post. Thankfully you don’t represent the majority on this site.

I was asking for the opinions of others regarding their like for Anthony Steffen. All you did was make me not want to listen to you.

Any reasonable people out there with anything coherent to say about Steffen?[/quote]

No problem.

Steffen was surely not a great actor. He was labeled by critics as stiff or as a poor man’s Clint Eastwood (which always upsets my close friend SD, forgive him) because he hadn’t a great variety in his acting style and wasn’t that successful.

For me he was at his best (as actor) in Train for Durango and the 1st half of Ringo: Face of Revenge where he acted in a self ironic style, which allowed him to do something else than looking grim.

But his best SW is of course Django the Bastard where his minimal acting and his asketic looks are fitting very well with story and style of the film.

I have seen half of his SW output (a few more are intended for the next months) , and there are some more interesting films amongst them (Train to Durango, A Long File of Croces, Coffin for the Sheriff, 1000 $ on the Black, Garringo, W Django, Killer Kid), but nothing outstanding imo.
And he had made besides the usual amount of average turkeys, of course.

Well, I like him meanwhile, he had the necessary SW appearance, but lacked the charisma to create something exceptional. Or maybe he only hadn’t the luck to work with a real good director, one who was able expand his talents, or even to push him beyond his limits.

That’s the way I see him.

Yes I think Steffen was sort of the Italian equivalent to Clint Eastwood.

Cool, handsome, bearded. A leading man, not a “great actor” :smiley:

Maybe not as charismatic as Eastwood, but still not bad.

I have not seen all his SWs, but many of them are really good, certainly not crappy :o

A Coffin for the Sheriff, No Room To Die, Seven Dollars on the Red are a few I like very much!

Looking forward to seeing Shango

1 Like