Alternative Top 20

Sabata wouldn’t be in my Top 50 too, even if I like it to a certain degree.

Mannaja wouldn’t be in a top 100 (if I would do one).

I’m not a big Sabata fan either. The first one is OK, but not top 40.
The sequel is bad and the Yul Brunner one (I know, it’s no real Sabata), is unwatchable for me, because of Brunner’s pathetic costume.

Yes, it’s early days yet of course (only 11 submissions so far) but it is interesting how some films which fair well on the official list are not getting much support whereas a couple of others are taking a more prominant position in this list.

Sabata and Mannaja are the losers so far while Vengeance is Mine and Today It’s Me, Tomorrow You are probably the biggest jumpers. $10,000 Blood Money and And God Said to Cain are currently running neck and neck at the top.

I need to rewatch And God Said to Cain… My first and only viewing was quite some time ago and I don’t remember much except for being kind of bored with it and very let down

Definitely interesting to see a lot of titles coming up one everyone’s lists though!

I like that :wink:

$10,000 Blood Money is on my to watch list - hopefully next week.

The Return of Ringo
California
Trinity is still my Name
Django, Prepare a Coffin! Aka Preparati la bara!
Navajo Joe
Fury of Johnny Kidd aka Dove si spara di piu
100.000 Dollars per Killing aka Per 100,000 dollari ti ammazzo
Bandidos
Quella sporca storia nel west (Johnny Hamlet)
Blindman
The Moment to Kill
Killer Calibro 32
The Hills runs Red
Arizona Colt
The long Days of Venegeance
Death Sentence
Light the Fuse Sartana is coming
Silver Saddle
Last Train to Durango
The Bounty Killer

FT I only just saw this film for the first time a week or so ago and have watched it twice in that time already. It is the best discovery for me since Cemetery Without Crosses and although I had heard a lot about it and seen it recommended I was still surprised by just how good it is. You’re in for a treat.

Return Of Ringo
One After The Other
Johnny Yuma
Duel In The Eclipse
They Call HIm Cemetery
I’ll Sell My Skin Dearly
El Puro
Black Jack
Killer Calibre 32
Shoot Gringo Shoot
Kill The Wicked
Johnny Hamlet
Sartana’s Here, Trade Your Pistols For A Coffin
Pistoleros
A Taste For Killing
Taste Of Death
Wrath Of God
15 Scaffolds For A Killer
Sartana Does Not Forgive
Death Walks In Laredo

and if i could have added more, Killer Adios, Fasthand Is Still My Name, Garringo, The Hills Run Red and actually, And For A Roof A Sky Full O’ Stars (purely for Federico!)

There are quite a lot in this top 20 as in my “Official” one but mainly as the same criteria was used…

[quote=“Stanton, post:41, topic:1671”]Sabata wouldn’t be in my Top 50 too, even if I like it to a certain degree.

Mannaja wouldn’t be in a top 100 (if I would do one).[/quote]

I’ve been comparing your list with mine Stanton and I believe you and I have the two most polarized tastes in the in entire forum haha

I like films you hate. You like films I hate. I hate films you like. You hate films I like.

And going back to Sabata, yeah I understand some people don’t like this film but I would’lve expected this film to be one of the frontrunners for an alternative top 20 considering the reputation and acclaim. Just a few months ago it was in our official top 20, now nobody likes it anymore?

I’m kind of neutral on Sabata. I don’t think its that bad but its not one that gives me trouble when making a list of top spaghettis… I am still surprised it doesn’t get more listings, as I would expect it to

Alot of good films mentioned in this thread so far. Reminds me must get round to a top twenty some day…in about 3 years I reckon :D.

Sabata is still a favourite of mine but probably for intangible reasons. If I saw it for the first time now it probably wouldn’t make any top 20 list, alternative or otherwise, but it was one of the first non Leone spags I ever saw and it has stuck with me ever since. On it’s genuine merits I think can be listed a great score which matches the tongue in cheek mood of the film perfectly and a stand out slimy villain performance by Franco Ressel. And I always loved the indoor duel behind the man shaped cut outs too.

But it’s a film which if you really like your spags dark and gritty is not really going to float your boat neccesarily. So not so surprised it doesn’t carry the same support here that some of the moodier titles do. Although Trinity is Still My Name is bucking that trend with almost half of all submissions including it.

Sabata is a quite popular films, especially of people, who are not much into SWs. Non-spaghaniacs know the Leones (of course), Django and Silence. And for many “Sabata” is the next one. It can often be seen on prime time TV, is is well made and it starrs LVC. So many know it and for many it has to be on top20 list. That’s why it appears in the close fallow-ups of the official top20.

Our new alternative top20 is especially made by persons who know more than 100 or 200 SWs, so they know that there’s more out there than Sabata…

AND we all are a bit vain and we want to put “other” stuff on the alternative list, not the stuff everyone knows :wink:

Know what I mean?

Sabata is a popular SW but I was never impressed of that. The first time I watched Sabata I was dissapointed cause I thought that it would be similiar to the cool Sartana Movies. IMO Sabata is more like a parody on SW but it has it’s moments. My favourite Sabata is the Non Sabata with Yul Brynner . The Return of Sabata is one of the most boring SW I’ve ever seen. :smiley:

And Brunner’s costume doesn’t bother you at all?

1. Taste of Death
  2. Johnny Hamlet
  3. El Puro
  4. 10.000$ blood money
  5. Sartana does not forgive
  6. California
  7. The moment to kill
  8. And God said to Caine
  9. For 100.000$ per killing
  10. Black Jack
  11. Time and place for killing
  12. Duel in the Eclipse
  13. Preparati la bara
  14. Return of Ringo
  15. The dirty outlaws
  16. Machine Gun Killers
  17. God forgives … I don’t
  18. The Bounty Killer
  19. Forgotten Pistolero
  20. Long Days of Vengeance

In that case: are you planning a review?
I’d very much like to read it.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:58, topic:1671”]In that case: are you planning a review?
I’d very much like to read it.[/quote]

Funny you should ask…
I just published it over on my Blog site

I’ll add it to the databse soon as an alternative to the excellent one you already posted.

Great

You seem to like it even better than I do

A strange thing is that I had never heard of this film until a few years ago, when I picked up the habit of watching spaghettis again. As far as I know it was never released theatrically or on VHS in Holland, Belgium or France. I read somewhere it was very popular in Italy and Germany at the time.