Alternative Top 20

Cool I am looking forward to it and I’ll check your blog review as well.

[quote=“Phil H, post:53, topic:1671”]Sabata is still a favourite of mine but probably for intangible reasons. If I saw it for the first time now it probably wouldn’t make any top 20 list, alternative or otherwise, but it was one of the first non Leone spags I ever saw and it has stuck with me ever since. On it’s genuine merits I think can be listed a great score which matches the tongue in cheek mood of the film perfectly and a stand out slimy villain performance by Franco Ressel. And I always loved the indoor duel behind the man shaped cut outs too.

But it’s a film which if you really like your spags dark and gritty is not really going to float your boat neccesarily. So not so surprised it doesn’t carry the same support here that some of the moodier titles do. Although Trinity is Still My Name is bucking that trend with almost half of all submissions including it.[/quote]

I too saw Sabata soon after seeing mostly Leone’s movies and a of couple Corbucci’s films. I still like it even if it is for LVC in a Sartana type role. Spaghetti’s were heading into the comedic realm by the late 60’s and this is no exception. I enjoy it and it may slip out of my top 20 but I don’t think I’ll ever hate the movie.

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:57, topic:1671”]
15. The dirty outlaws[/quote]

You’re a fan of Andrea Giordana, too, aren’t you?

Oh yes, I am ! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:3, topic:1671”]Here is my alternative top 20

1. Sabata
  2. They Call Him Cemetery
  3. Light the Fuse, Sartana is Coming
  4. Have a Good Funeral Friend, Sartana Will Pay
  5. And God Said to Cain
  6. The Stranger’s Gundown/Django the Bastard
  7. The Stranger Returns
  8. Tequila Joe
  9. I am Sartana, Your Angel of Death
  10. The Return of Ringo
  11. A Pistol for Ringo
  12. $10,000 Blood Money
  13. Garringo
  14. No Room to Die
  15. A Stranger in Paso Bravo
  16. Two Pistols for a Coward/Gunman Sent by God
  17. Cry for Revenge/Dead Men Don’t Count
  18. 32 Caliber Killer
  19. Man of the East
  20. Sartana is Here, Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin/Fistful of Lead[/quote]

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:50, topic:1671”]I’ve been comparing your list with mine Stanton and I believe you and I have the two most polarized tastes in the in entire forum haha

I like films you hate. You like films I hate. I hate films you like. You hate films I like.[/quote]

Shit, I hate it to disappoint you Colonel, but there are no turkeys in your list (except maybe for the 2 I haven’t seen yet: Cry for Revenge and Stranger in PB), and I don’t hate any of these Films. (Frankly said, I never hate any films)

The others are all 3 or 4/5, and 3 of them are btw in my list too. And all are probably better then Mannaja. So no reason to whine or to doubt that the earth is still flat.

Out of curiosity, which of mine do you “hate”?
Ahem, that’s besides El puro, Boot Hill, Trinity and … ?

You’re post got me thinking. I think I rank the Ringo films for similar reasons. They were some of the films that I saw when I first got started in this genre and have been a favorite of mine since, but I doubt I would rank them in my top 20 had I watched them for the first time today.

[quote=“Stanton, post:64, topic:1671”]Shit, I hate it to disappoint you Colonel, but there are no turkeys in your list (except maybe for the 2 I haven’t seen yet: Cry for Revenge and Stranger in PB), and I don’t hate any of these Films. (Frankly said, I never hate any films)

The others are all 3 or 4/5, and 3 of them are btw in my list too. And all are probably better then Mannaja. So no reason to whine or to doubt that the earth is still flat.

Out of curiosity, which of mine do you “hate”?
Ahem, that’s besides El puro, Boot Hill, Trinity and … ?[/quote]

Well if you look at our respective lists and we only have three in common. I like three more of yours, but the rest movies I don’t particularly like. 7 of your first 8 are all considerations for my “worst” top 20, which I haven’t done yet. I haven’t seen duel in the eclipse yet. And while you may not hate any of the movies on my list, I doubt you like many of them. So yeah, our tastes are pretty different from each other.

Mannaja was pretty good for me, but not in my top 20, maybe top 50 perhaps.

Btw the world IS flat. Don’t listen to that fellow Christopher Columbus. The man doesn’t know what he’s talking about LOL.

Difficult to make such a list but here’s mine at the moment:

1. God forgives I don’t
  2. Bandidos
  3. Return of Ringo
  4. El Puro
  5. 10000$ blood mone
  6. Viva Django
  7. They call me Hallelujah
  8. Taste of Death
  9. Sonny & Jed
  10. Bullet for Sandoval
  11. Black Jack
  12. Massacre time
  13. Yankee
  14. Death Sentence
  15. Minnesota Clay
  16. No room to die
  17. Stranger returns
  18. Ruthless Four
  19. Dead Men Ride
  20. Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe

This is part of the fun. He is dressed as one of the Village People.

It doesn’t bother me either. It certainly adds to the fun of the movie.

[quote=“Silver, post:49, topic:1671”]Shoot Gringo Shoot
Sartana Does Not Forgive[/quote]

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:67, topic:1671”]1. God forgives I don’t
9. Sonny & Jed
14. Death Sentence
16. No room to die[/quote]

All titles that gave me trouble and would of made my list if I wasn’t including titles from my original top 20. Shoot Gringo Shoot was particularly troublesome… it made my original top 20, but I watched it again the other night and didn’t like it as much as I had remembered, I’m afraid it will be dropping from my personal top20 now. I really need to go back and watch a lot of my top films, as I usually watch a new title in favor of rewatching one of my favorites, and it seems my opinion of some of my old favorites is changing after viewing so many other spags

Sartana Does Not Forgive a definite runner up, probably at the top of the films I couldn’t decide on

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:60, topic:1671”]Great

You seem to like it even better than I do

A strange thing is that I had never heard of this film until a few years ago, when I picked up the habit of watching spaghettis again. As far as I know it was never released theatrically or on VHS in Holland, Belgium or France. I read somewhere it was very popular in Italy and Germany at the time.[/quote]

I do like it a lot. And as I said in my review, it has been a very welcome recent discovery. Like you, I only became aware of it in the last few years and despite the good things I heard it has taken me until now to get around to it.

Maybe I have to give Village Brunner a second chance…

Maybe Indio Black is the result of director’s trying to create “another” western hero… Yul certainly IS one of them.

My faves - excluding the ‘official’ Top 20 … (in some sort of order).

A Hole in the Forehead
$10,000 For A Massacre/Blood Money
El Puro
Return of Ringo
A Man Called Sledge
Four of the Apocalypse
Black Jack
Night of the Serpent
California
The Dirty Outlaws
Johnny Hamlet
Kill the Wickeds
Vengeance for Vengeance
The Cost of Dying/Quanto Costa Morire
The Hellbenders
No Graves on Boot Hill
Find a Place to Die
Vengeance Trail
A Stranger in Paso Brava
The Bounty Killer

Almost rans include the first 2 Stranger films; Kill and Pray/Requiescant; A Man called Blade; Challenge of the Mackennas; Last of the Badmen; Tepepa; Fistful of Lead/Sartana’s here… and the list goes on… (thankfully ;D)
I thought that this would be harder work than it was. I’d quickly shortlisted about 40 films, and started ringing the faves - a quick count of these and already 20 had been chosen. These are the ones that have brought me the most enjoyment over the recent and distant years.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:66, topic:1671”]Well if you look at our respective lists and we only have three in common. I like three more of yours, but the rest movies I don’t particularly like. 7 of your first 8 are all considerations for my “worst” top 20, which I haven’t done yet. I haven’t seen duel in the eclipse yet. And while you may not hate any of the movies on my list, I doubt you like many of them. So yeah, our tastes are pretty different from each other.

Mannaja was pretty good for me, but not in my top 20, maybe top 50 perhaps.

Btw the world IS flat. Don’t listen to that fellow Christopher Columbus. The man doesn’t know what he’s talking about LOL.[/quote]

Bad news!

I have just googled it, and … well, it seems the world is maybe not flat at all! More something like round or so.

Hrrmp

Yes, like a pancake, round but flat

I suppose that you all think rocks fall out of the sky as well

Well… you mean they don’t? :o

Of course not. There are no rocks in the sky

Damn! Next thing you’re gonna tell me is that santa doesn’t exist.

Shit, Santa owes me $5