Adiós, Sabata / Indio Black, sai che ti dico: sei un gran figlio di … (Gianfranco Parolini, 1970)

I can dig this one, but the wife likes it a lot more than I do. I still get a giggle out of Yul’s goofy wardrobe, though.

In the meantime I found out myself. But wait, is this a completely different track than the one with the Adios Sabata lyrics?

I still wish Lee has played the role.

I love this soundtrack, even though I haven’t seen the film, yet I used to listen to the main theme a lot 2 or 3 years ago.
A few days ago I wanted to watch ADIOS, SABATA, pulled out my MGM DVD, and nooo! - there was no Italian soundtrack on it. After a few seconds weeping inside, I decided to watch it in English, but then comes the title song, and I was again like wait a minute, I know this from another film! After some quick research I found out what it’s all about with the “Adios, Sabata” line in the song. ;D Unfortunately I didn’t want to suffer through that butchered version of the song, as I had so often listened to my beloved Indio Black, and so I didn’t resume the film. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess now I will have to wait for a subtitled Italian version.

This one is a great entertainment, didn’t remember how bizarre and funny this film is. I found myself laughing all the times for the jokes, weirdness and all the cadgets and stuff.
I didn’t even try to follow the plot as this is Parolini film it probably doesn’t make any sense anyhow.

One of the funniest sw’s and possibly Parolini’s best film. I still think Brunner was miscast in his role, other actors steal the film from him.

I already voted 3 for the poll but if I could I’d change it to 4.

1 Like

Nice mechanism,a weak story and a great music.

Yugoslavian VHS

2 Likes

Thanks to Tom Betts and Howard Hughes, some more of the Spanish players in the opening duel have been identified.

José Galera Balazote is the Runt (also in Those Dirty Dogs as El Supremo’s servant) identified by Tom from a Spanish biographical book on him he has. Behind the beard is José Riesgo as Murdoch identified by Hughes. Paco Barrilado is the 3rd Murdoch identified by Tom while researching the Spanish stuntman.

1 Like

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when whoever came up with the idea for that frilly armed outfit on Yul, or maybe when Yul put it on in his trailer, checking himself out in the mirror - “oh yeah, yeeee haw cowboy”

1 Like

Finished this up tonight and despite its often silly elements, its a very enjoyable watch with a lot of good action sequences. That scene towards the end with the guy dancing on the table, and such a serious look on his face before he begins the dance of death :joy: I must say I really liked the way the scene was filmed though with the out of focus gunman

2 Likes

The dance of death was definitely one of the scenes in Adios that made it one of my favorites. I always enjoy Pedro Sanchez’s larger-than-life presence, like in the original Sabata. His constant references to Reed’s character, Valentine, as ‘blondito,’ always gives me a chuckle. I also liked Sal Borghese’s portrayal of Septembre. I think he did an effective job conveying his simpleton personality, especially his fixation on the music box.

4 Likes

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new “SWDb 3.0” format .
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Got a new poll going for this one too, at the top of the page on the old original post.

1 Like

I just saw the film and, although obviously lighthearted and missing LvC, I found it quite entertaining. The somewhat historical setting of the film and the beautiful cinematography amounted to one and a half hours well spent.

4 Likes

I have a fondness for ‘Adios, Sabata’ despite it being the outlier in the series. I like the whole backdrop of the French occupation of Mexico and puppet rule of Emperor Maximilian Hapsburg (1861-1867). I wish that Brynner’s Sabata had been more developed as a character, and the gold shipment’s changing of hands became confusing after a while. But, I didn’t think it was any more comedic and than the acrobatics and the silly sound effects during the original Sabata and Return of Sabata. I found the character Septiembre (Sal Borgese) endearing with his child-like innocence becoming apparent while listening to the music box and seeing Ballentine’s shiny pocket watch. Overall, I think its strengths outweigh its weaknesses and its become essential viewing on Cinco de Mayo every year.

4 Likes

This was never intended as a Sabata film. It was changed to being a Sabata film during the dubbing process to take advantage of the first film, starring Van Cleef, being a success.

Isn’t the story that it was supposed to be the Sabata sequel with LvC, then changed to Indio Black after Brynner took the lead, and then renamed to Sabata for the international versions?

In the English dub Brynner is quite clearly referred to as Sabata, not just on the dub, but the actors were clearly saying “Sabata” (unless they just did a great job with the post-synch).

1 Like

You mean by lip reading it is identifiable that the actors on the set said Sabata and not Indio Black?

Not at all, but it looks as though they are mouthing Sabata. I could be entirely wrong, sure, but “Indio Black” more labials than “Sabata”. I´m not claiming to be an expert on this matter, though

It must be considered that in the Italian dub the main character is familiarly called Indio in most cases.

I quickly checked and things seem to be different: I am not an expert, but I would say it is practically certain that at 1:23 and 22:12 Luciano Casamonica and Franco Fantasia say Indio Black (Indio… Indio Black in the case of Fantasia). The quotes in the Italian dub are Il Signore… e Indio Black! and Si chiama Indio… Indio Black respectively.

2 Likes