Adiós, Sabata / Indio Black, sai che ti dico: sei un gran figlio di … (Gianfranco Parolini, 1970)

It’s very common for the entire structure of a sentence to be altered in order to make the lip movements seem convincing in the various dubs … in English, the B in Sabata is the only thing crucial … the name can be said without really moving your lips, with the exception of the ‘Buh’ sound.
Some of the dubbing in these films is really quite amazingly clever, that it’s often difficult to tell what was originally being said when filmed.

My favourite dubbing trick (or the one I notice most often) is the use of … ‘and besides’ , which is used to pad out or fill lip movements when there isn’t a crucial English alternate.

It happens quite often in ‘Adios Sabata’ , right from the opening scene.

2 Likes

I liked this one quite a bit more than the first Sabata. Yul is no LVC in the charisma department, but I thought his deadpan performance was a nice contrast to the more colorful characters and fit reasonably well. I found Spalla incredibly annoying in the first one but liked him here for the most part, and the loss of Alley Cat was addition by subtraction.

Dean Reed is no William Berger, and his look doesn’t exactly suit westerns in my opinion, but he put on a decent performance nonetheless. Herter plays a classic Herter role, and plays it well as always.

Also, I loved the flamenco of death. Weird stuff like that is why I love spaghettis.

4 Likes